Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest stotty77

Good luck with the interview early to bed an all that lol

I have also had a phone all and some good positive news from agency, not exactly job interview or offer but news all the same so I think maybe my nerves kicked into paranoia earlier lol.

Thank you for replies on the health websites I have looked on Victoria website however no ed nurse jobs at this time.

Good luck with the interview early to bed an all that lol

I have also had a phone all and some good positive news from agency, not exactly job interview or offer but news all the same so I think maybe my nerves kicked into paranoia earlier lol.

Thank you for replies on the health websites I have looked on Victoria website however no ed nurse jobs at this time.

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search+again&Keywords=&location=1002&industry=1211&occupation=6338 any of these ?

You are probably asleep by now so I wish you good luck! if you are awake then stay calm there will not be any questions to catch you out. Be honest and i n my honest opinion the questions ( 6) I was asked were very simple basic ones about what would do if ( staff member and problem, conflict etc) :)

Hi Guys

Has anybody delt with Geneva Healthcare? I am currently in the process of getting everything together for my application for AHPRA and have registered with Geneva Healthcare to help me and my partner find work. They have always seemed very good and professional but thay are insisting that we send them our completed aplications and that they will then send them on to AHPRA and that AHPRA will contact them directly regarding the registration. It seems to me that this is creating an unnessesary middle man as I was always intending to send the aplication directly. Also my university and the NMC have said that my transcripts and verification have to be sent from them directly to AHPRA but Geneva say this is not the case. Geneva have also said that if I send my application directly they will not be able to help us although once our application has been processed they can help us look for work. That being said they also suggested that it may be harder for them to find us work if they have no delt with the registration. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want to burn my bridges with Geneva but would rather apply for my registration independantly.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer on the matter.

Emma

Guest Lisa26
Hi Guys

Has anybody delt with Geneva Healthcare? I am currently in the process of getting everything together for my application for AHPRA and have registered with Geneva Healthcare to help me and my partner find work. They have always seemed very good and professional but thay are insisting that we send them our completed aplications and that they will then send them on to AHPRA and that AHPRA will contact them directly regarding the registration. It seems to me that this is creating an unnessesary middle man as I was always intending to send the aplication directly. Also my university and the NMC have said that my transcripts and verification have to be sent from them directly to AHPRA but Geneva say this is not the case. Geneva have also said that if I send my application directly they will not be able to help us although once our application has been processed they can help us look for work. That being said they also suggested that it may be harder for them to find us work if they have no delt with the registration. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want to burn my bridges with Geneva but would rather apply for my registration independantly.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer on the matter.

Emma

Hi Emma83,

See my reply to Stotty on the previous page for more information... but I had the exact same problem with geneva. On one hand I've been told that by doing your application through them means that they check for anything you have missed before sending it off to AHPRA, so that it minimises if not cancels any chance of AHPRA requiring more information from you. I also know that since they told me that they don't have any vacancies for me at present (paediatric nurse), they will no longer be helping me...BUT they did say to contact them once my registration has gone through to see if they do have any vacancies then- so it would seem that they can help you even if you organise registration yourself!!

I must say they did give me some really good information and documents to help with the application, which I did follow. If you don't mind being cheeky, you could always use their expertise up until the point of submitting your application....or I could send you the documents that they sent me?

I was also worried that going through Geneva meant that it would make it more difficult for me to apply for positions myself, but that shouldn't be the case for you because once registered with AHPRA you are registered throughout the whole of Australia to work anywhere...you have no contractual obligation to Geneva.

After going with Geneva I have submitted my application independently because of lack of vacancies on their books, but I don't see any harm in using them, they were very helpful, and like I said you can still apply for jobs yourself at the same time. As for the NMC sending info direct to AHPRA- they are right. Geneva even told me that too. You send off the application first and then get NMC to forward on info direct to AHPRA.

Hope this helps??

:twitcy:

Guest Lisa26

Hi all,

I'm just trying to start writing my CV for sending to prospective employers. Does anyone have any kind advice they'd like to lend me on writing one for use in Oz? Are there any differences to ours? I did the one for AHPRA but thought I'd do a more standard/streamlined one for the job applications. I've read that Aussie CVs are usually a bit longer than our UK 2 page ones. Does anyone know if this is right?

Many thanks!!:cool:

Thanks Lisa

Geneva have already sent me the pack for registration so I will certainly use it to help with mine. I think I will send it independantly I understand that Geneva check it so its more likely to go through but I really would prefer to be in direct contact with the registration board myself. I will probably live to regret it if it gets sent back but I much prefer the direct approach :biggrin:

I will more than likely get back in touch with Geneva when I have my registration as they have been very helpful. I just took a little offense to the way I was spoken too last night when I mentioned applying directly but they had never mentioned my registration going through them prior to that point. It could have been me though... I was half way through a night shift lol. I will keep an eye out for other jobs too in the meantime though. I have done an expression of interest with Queensland Health so maybe I will find something there.

With regard to CV I have just used my AHPRA one (from the template Geneva supplied) but added a personal statement to it as well. I'm not sure if thats good enough but it does include plenty of information.

Fingers crossed that we all find jobs soon. I'm so excited at the thought of moving over there but daunted at the thought of how much I have to do to get there. It will all be worth it when we are starting our new lives in Oz though :biggrin:

Guest Lisa26
Thanks Lisa

Geneva have already sent me the pack for registration so I will certainly use it to help with mine. I think I will send it independantly I understand that Geneva check it so its more likely to go through but I really would prefer to be in direct contact with the registration board myself. I will probably live to regret it if it gets sent back but I much prefer the direct approach :biggrin:

I will more than likely get back in touch with Geneva when I have my registration as they have been very helpful. I just took a little offense to the way I was spoken too last night when I mentioned applying directly but they had never mentioned my registration going through them prior to that point. It could have been me though... I was half way through a night shift lol. I will keep an eye out for other jobs too in the meantime though. I have done an expression of interest with Queensland Health so maybe I will find something there.

With regard to CV I have just used my AHPRA one (from the template Geneva supplied) but added a personal statement to it as well. I'm not sure if thats good enough but it does include plenty of information.

Fingers crossed that we all find jobs soon. I'm so excited at the thought of moving over there but daunted at the thought of how much I have to do to get there. It will all be worth it when we are starting our new lives in Oz though :biggrin:

Tell me about it!! I can't wait to get there. It feels like it's almost reachable but at the same time soooo far away!! Are you applying for jobs before your registration comes through? I didn't know if they would look if I'm not actually registered yet. Yeah, there was just a few other things I wanted to put in the CV, and highlight some things...more so because I'm wanting to get back into acute work after being in community for a few years!! Thanks. Good luck with yours. :)

Guest isis1mcc

hey guys found the link let me know what you think or take from this but please note even with their website they have highlighted these are the proposed changes and are subjective to legislative changes so as to speak is not set in stone. Please let me know what you think.

Here the link: -

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-186/

and in detail

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/_pdf/perm-sponsored-reforms.pdf

Ps the posters that said United Kingdom automatically had competency IELTS of 6 were correct its stated in the second link.

But you will still require IELTS of 7 for your skills assessment with ANMAC if you pursuing the direct PR route.

Isis

Hi Angel

if you go back to the previous page on this thread you will see GilraenH posted some useful links for interviews. I found them helpful, hope you do to. A common question seems to be regarding conflict. sorry cant be more specific to your field.

Best of luck

Sunbeam

Hi Angel

if you go back to the previous page on this thread you will see GilraenH posted some useful links for interviews. I found them helpful, hope you do to. A common question seems to be regarding conflict. sorry cant be more specific to your field.

Best of luck

Sunbeam

Thank you sunbeam.

Tell me about it!! I can't wait to get there. It feels like it's almost reachable but at the same time soooo far away!! Are you applying for jobs before your registration comes through? I didn't know if they would look if I'm not actually registered yet. Yeah, there was just a few other things I wanted to put in the CV, and highlight some things...more so because I'm wanting to get back into acute work after being in community for a few years!! Thanks. Good luck with yours. :)

Hi Lisa

I haven't applied for any jobs yet, just put in an expression of interest with Queensland Health. Means they have my details and CV and send me information about jobs that may be suitable. I figured it can't hurt :biggrin:. The Government of WA are also accepting CV's from overseas qualified nurses so I think I will send it to them as well. Might be worth looking at the sites if your interested in work in either states?

Here's the links anyway

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nursing/default.asp

http://www.nursing.health.wa.gov.au/docs/working/uk-ad.pdf

How are you getting on with the CV? All my experience has been in Acutes so I imagine that is where I will be heading when I get to Australia. I think it will be pretty different though. Good luck yourself :biggrin:

any advice on how to prep for interviews folks?

Look at the selection criteria..................consider how you would manage conflict in the workplace.............look at the threads about interviews on here. Good luck!! :biggrin:

Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I'm 37, an adult nurse working in theatre recovery and my husband, 31, is in his final year of mental health nurse training. We're planning on emigrating in a couple of years time. I was wondering whether it mattered in Australia whether you had a degree or diploma? There seems to be a big push in the NHS at the moment for those of us who have a diploma to top it up to degree level. I've done one module (mentorship) and for a while was planning to continue the degree pathway in October this year. However, the amount of work that needs to be put in during my own time has put me off - I'd prefer to use it doing extra shifts to add to our Australia fund! I've already got a degree in an unrelated subject. Would my lack of nursing degree be likely to put employers off? Any advice gratefully received. Thank you :)

P.S. This is a great thread by the way!

Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I'm 37, an adult nurse working in theatre recovery and my husband, 31, is in his final year of mental health nurse training. We're planning on emigrating in a couple of years time. I was wondering whether it mattered in Australia whether you had a degree or diploma? There seems to be a big push in the NHS at the moment for those of us who have a diploma to top it up to degree level. I've done one module (mentorship) and for a while was planning to continue the degree pathway in October this year. However, the amount of work that needs to be put in during my own time has put me off - I'd prefer to use it doing extra shifts to add to our Australia fund! I've already got a degree in an unrelated subject. Would my lack of nursing degree be likely to put employers off? Any advice gratefully received. Thank you :)

P.S. This is a great thread by the way!

Hi! and welcome, no it shouldn't put employers off. If your qualification allows you to register down under then it is your experience that should matter more to employers. Someone mentioned on another forum that a uni in WA was going to provide a masters degree to top up an ordinary degree to allow you to become a registered nurse through apel. Doesn't sound like they would reject you for being a diploma nurse.

You might find that it does affect your points for DIAC though as the degree you get points for has to be in a job related field. Only one of you needs to put yourself through skills assessment for independent migration visa. Do come back and ask more questions.

Good Luck. :biggrin:

Hi! and welcome, no it shouldn't put employers off. If your qualification allows you to register down under then it is your experience that should matter more to employers. Someone mentioned on another forum that a uni in WA was going to provide a masters degree to top up an ordinary degree to allow you to become a registered nurse through apel. Doesn't sound like they would reject you for being a diploma nurse.

You might find that it does affect your points for DIAC though as the degree you get points for has to be in a job related field. Only one of you needs to put yourself through skills assessment for independent migration visa. Do come back and ask more questions.

Good Luck. :biggrin:

Thank you very much for your reply and advice. I'm sure there'll be plenty more questions I'll be asking before long! Thanks again :)

If anyone wants a copy of my cv to see or the template that australia like just pm me and I give you my work e-mail. Just remember you are getting your foot in the door with the cv.. its how you fill in a job application that counts and sells your skills etc.. As a senior nurse in the uk when I have advertised jobs I am not looking for people who do the job i am looking for people with skills and ( transferable ones!) to be able to do the job. I am happy to help anyone by letting them see my job application etc and my advice for telephone interview is to think about the job advert so in my case a clinical nurse educator in NSW.. I looked up their current training standards etc and could see that the ethos and principles were the same as uk just the delivery and practise slightly different. I also looked up the unit and sevices available to get a feel of it. They asked very general questions.. if a nurse makes a medication error what would I do? ( i talked about skills, knowledge and application of skills and knowledge to practice.. disciplinary etc..competency standards etc..) they asked about conflict between two staff members.. ( i talked about appraisal, supervision, team ethos etc.. staff wanting same outcomes but different paths and personalities to get there..) they asked a specific one about mental health.. all standard questions and think methodically from either top to bottom or other way round ( ie.. tell manager... or start at the speak to staff member..) they want to know I guess that you will work autonomously and part of a team that you can lead and also be lead and will fit in with their ethos and practise. I got asked about leadership skills outside of my job I talked about being a mother etc..

Hope this is helpful! good luck to everyone x

Guest Lisa26
Hi Lisa

I haven't applied for any jobs yet, just put in an expression of interest with Queensland Health. Means they have my details and CV and send me information about jobs that may be suitable. I figured it can't hurt :biggrin:. The Government of WA are also accepting CV's from overseas qualified nurses so I think I will send it to them as well. Might be worth looking at the sites if your interested in work in either states?

Here's the links anyway

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nursing/default.asp

http://www.nursing.health.wa.gov.au/docs/working/uk-ad.pdf

How are you getting on with the CV? All my experience has been in Acutes so I imagine that is where I will be heading when I get to Australia. I think it will be pretty different though. Good luck yourself :biggrin:

Thanks Emma,

Yeah the CV is coming on...it's just one of those jobs that I can easily find something more 'important' to do...like house chores!! I hate writing CVs!! Thank you v much for the links. Someone did give me a link to NSW health jobs too, which I am signed in to and check regularly. I'm also in contact with the main lady in charge of workforce for Sydney Childrens Hospital so hope that I'll get some luck soon, once the CV is finished!! I'm hoping to get back to acute work, and hope that it won't matter too much that I've been in the community most recently.

Thanks again and good luck!! :)

Archived