Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hello, do Oz hospital have nursing assistants/health care support workers on the wards? I was thinking of doing nights on a ward due to having no child care so Russ will be with them at night and I will be there during the day time. Russ will be working as a RMN.

Claire

Nursing assistants are called AIN's and you have to complete a certificated course to be employed in the role.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey there Marion,

I am at the early stages of the 457, my employer has started the process but still awaiting the TRN number or reference number to start my side of the visa application. You probably ahead of me in the process:) Where you heading? Great to meet like minded people going through the same stuff.

Do keep us updated too:) Isis

I am probably at the same stage although i got the e-mail from the sponsers with the trn number on it last thursday. I have been looking through what documents i will need for a few weeks ( even tho I didnt have a job then!) so am ready to today to start the scanning, notarising etc that might be needed. I am glad i sent of my full birth certificate the other week as I think I might now have everything but who knows! I am going to NSW to Kogarah to be a clinical nurse educator. What will you be doing? good luck x

Guest isis1mcc

Hi Marion,

I will be a registered nurse in a medical unit. Can I ask how long it took your employer to get your TRN number?. I know NSW Health is government based and that their would probably take less time. The hospital I will be working for is private but think they've recruited overseas quite alot before.

Another thing how long did your police check take, went to request it and apparently it can take 28 to 41 working days if busy!!! The last one I did for AHPRA took 10 days so praying it doesnt take this long!!! Think they say that to cover themselves?. (I'm in Scotland though so might be different).

Anyway these are exciting times and cant wait to start the ball rolling on my side, do keep me posted as I probably will be asking you questions on this part of the process. Good Luck and keep in touch. Isis

Hi Marion,

I will be a registered nurse in a medical unit. Can I ask how long it took your employer to get your TRN number?. I know NSW Health is government based and that their would probably take less time. The hospital I will be working for is private but think they've recruited overseas quite alot before.

Another thing how long did your police check take, went to request it and apparently it can take 28 to 41 working days if busy!!! The last one I did for AHPRA took 10 days so praying it doesnt take this long!!! Think they say that to cover themselves?. (I'm in Scotland though so might be different).

Anyway these are exciting times and cant wait to start the ball rolling on my side, do keep me posted as I probably will be asking you questions on this part of the process. Good Luck and keep in touch. Isis

Hi there Isis well done on the job! The manager e-mailed me with forms on forms to complete like police checks etc before i was sure i even had the job! the e-mail they sent to say we have attached the letter for your info for immigration was last week( a week after interview) and the nursing manager said that they had started the process and that my trn number was ... I guess it might be slightly different as i am in england I am not sure but I will def look through everything and print off this afternoon at work and keep you updated. I believe here we can do police check in 2 or 10 days. ( the website says and others on this forum have said). I believe but dont quote me that when I lodge the application a CO will tell me to get medical and police check but again I will do some investigation get everything together double check it and then let you know! if you want lists of what I send etc just pm me and I will give you my work e-mail to keep in touch.I will be asking you!!

Guest isis1mcc

Cheers Marion,

That would be great. I have added you on as a friend and will keep in touch. Isis

One more thing Lisa,

if you are going down the PR route and need to do a skills assessment with ANMAC you will also need to do the IELTS and score 7 in all categories.

if you go with the 457 you are required to be registered with AHPRA inorder to practice anywhere in Australia. At present you are not required to do the IELTS if you can prove your secondary education and university have been taught in English.

Ps note I think that the new changes for visa's in July may require you to take the IELTS for the 457 but you only need to score 5 in each category but not entirely sure about this so will need to wait till the changes actually come out first.

Hope this makes sense and that I'm explaining it clearly, if not please can other posters jump in:)

Isis

Hi, hopefully there's no IELTS needed for 457 visa. Below is a part transcripts w/c I copied from the oz immigration website. What's your take on this guys.

From 1 July 2012, Australia’s government cut red tape for the 457 visa, fast-tracking the pathway to residency for current skilled migrants under the employer-sponsored visa program, and making it easier for employers to fill critical skills shortages.

Federal Minister for Immigration and Citizenship Chris Bowen said the changes simplify the current employer-sponsored visa program, removing the need for language testing of current 457 visa holders applying for permanent residency, and increasing the upper age limit to 50.

“Skilled migrants deliver major benefits to the Australian economy in terms of contributing to economic growth and offsetting the impacts of an ageing population,” said Bowen.

“We know these workers can do the job and are ready to make a commitment to Australia, so it makes sense to streamline their pathway to permanent residence.”

Hi, hopefully there's no IELTS needed for 457 visa. Below is a part transcripts w/c I copied from the oz immigration website. What's your take on this guys.

From 1 July 2012, Australia’s government cut red tape for the 457 visa, fast-tracking the pathway to residency for current skilled migrants under the employer-sponsored visa program, and making it easier for employers to fill critical skills shortages.

Federal Minister for Immigration and Citizenship Chris Bowen said the changes simplify the current employer-sponsored visa program, removing the need for language testing of current 457 visa holders applying for permanent residency, and increasing the upper age limit to 50.

“Skilled migrants deliver major benefits to the Australian economy in terms of contributing to economic growth and offsetting the impacts of an ageing population,” said Bowen.

“We know these workers can do the job and are ready to make a commitment to Australia, so it makes sense to streamline their pathway to permanent residence.”

For the immigration purposes it`s enough if you are a holder os UK/US/Canadian passport to be awarded the basic points for English knowledge, no language testing needed. Not sure about the pathway from 457 to permanent though.

Guest isis1mcc

Hi guys I did say I think that would be the new changes emphasis on think. The changes haven't come out yet and are still a work in progress and can change even on the last minute to suit what they think best suits them. I had read this on someone elses post - a link to the australian immigration website. But then again interpretations can be very different to individuals. It was about the planned changes to the Employer sponsored Visa's. I think the best is not to get apprehensive about it until they come in. Please other posters do feel free to jump in if you have more up to date information regarding the changes. Isis

Nursing assistants are called AIN's and you have to complete a certificated course to be employed in the role.

Thank you for your reply :)

Russ is a band 5 on his new ward, what nursing level would he be in Oz? He has worked as a band 6 but as they are closing his old ward, he had to apply for the band 5 on his new ward as there were no other jobs available at the time. He has also done acting up band 7/ward manager.

Hiya Isis

Just printed the application off for APHRA.There are a lot of documents to post along with the application.Think this will take me a 12 mth ha. Did you use a solicitor to certify your documents and request a new CRB check?. Just wanted to ask, my preference would be to work in Perth,however like you previously stated that maybe that was too specific what you think?Would I also have to post application to the Perth office (APHRA).

Lisa

Hiya Marion

Just reading your posts along with Isis.Just great to read and pick up info on this exciting journey.Thats all I can think about at mo,just printed off APHRA application.My Head is spinning with the amount of documentation required and needed to be certified. I will get there soon ha.Wishing you all the best

Lisa

Hiya Isis

Just printed the application off for APHRA.There are a lot of documents to post along with the application.Think this will take me a 12 mth ha. Did you use a solicitor to certify your documents and request a new CRB check?. Just wanted to ask, my preference would be to work in Perth,however like you previously stated that maybe that was too specific what you think?Would I also have to post application to the Perth office (APHRA).

Lisa

Johns46 you must get the documents certified to APHRA's exact standards, ie in the UK by a NOTARISED solicitor or a Justice of the Peace. Shop around. If you do not have them certified to the exact standards they will return them and it will delay your application as well as potentially cost you money.

Good Luck :biggrin:

Guest isis1mcc

Hi Lisa,

AHPRA are very particular when it comes to certifying documents. Google your nearest notary public and they can do this for you. Also contact the NMC and request your Statement of Entry and Verification. You will get the statement of entry free but you will have to pay £35 for the verification they will send the statement of Entry to you but they send the verification straight to AHPRA. AHPRA will need both. whats CRB?(I can be daft sometimes) lol.

Do try your area of choice first and see how you go, I was specific as in not only did I want Queensland but also wanted to be in Brisbane or surrounds and wanted to leave months later. I had to adjust my search accordingly and its turned out better. You can post your application to the Perth office, if you get a job elsewhere you will still be able to complete registration when you land in Australia. Isis

Hiya Marion

Just reading your posts along with Isis.Just great to read and pick up info on this exciting journey.Thats all I can think about at mo,just printed off APHRA application.My Head is spinning with the amount of documentation required and needed to be certified. I will get there soon ha.Wishing you all the best

Lisa

I have sent you a pm with the list of things i sent. hope its helpful and good luck with yours :) x

Guest stotty77

Ok her egoes first proper post..........

Hi all, I have recently been granted permanent residency visa (in May 2012) and have sent my AHPRA registration off 2 weeks ago to Victoria. I have flights booked and paid for on Nov 19th 2012 and will be settling in Boronia, Melbourne. I am now excited, ecstatic and extremely anxious all in the same breath.

I am an ED nurse 10 yrs experience. I have begun searching for work via Geneva agency and as yet am awaiting any interviews etc.............How did anyone else get on with finding their work/jobs. Have i been a bit keen on booking the flights without a job as yet lol..........hey ho can always go back to building or bar work maybe for a bit.... you never know may be a welcome break after working in the NHS lol

I have shipping companies coming in the next few weeks to arrange quotes we have put little ones name down for nursery.........

I think I have everything covered thus far but cant shake the nerves which for me is unusual I am normally horizontal and my ed attitude of if its not life and death then really does it affect my working day is not coming through..........I suppose it is the biggest thing I have ever done in my life.

Well just thought i would say Hi and start posting

catch ya soon

Hi stotty77

Unless you have contractual obligations not to apply for work yourself with the agency that you have chosen, why don't you write to the EDs within striking distance of Boronia? The Austin Hospital is closest, Box Hill Hospital next, then The Northern Hospital (you would need a car). Boronia is close to good road, rail and bus (by Melbourne standards) communications, so you may also wish to consider the city EDs of The Alfred Hospital, St Vincent's Public Hospital and The Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Guest stotty77

Thanks ChrisH1, cheers for the info on the hospitals, When I first went to geneva they stated that if I contacted the hospitals myself then they could not approach those hospitals on my behalf. I was under the impression that it was easier and more beneficial to go through an agency but I am getting slightly nervous. They have already told me that the Alfred have finished a recruitment process and that box hill arent recruiting either. I did a reccie in march last year and walked into the departments you mentioned and all of them were appropriate and friendly...

Is it the norm to go through an agency or sort it yourself?

Guest Lisa26
Thanks ChrisH1, cheers for the info on the hospitals, When I first went to geneva they stated that if I contacted the hospitals myself then they could not approach those hospitals on my behalf. I was under the impression that it was easier and more beneficial to go through an agency but I am getting slightly nervous. They have already told me that the Alfred have finished a recruitment process and that box hill arent recruiting either. I did a reccie in march last year and walked into the departments you mentioned and all of them were appropriate and friendly...

Is it the norm to go through an agency or sort it yourself?

Hey Stotty77,

I smiled when I read your first post...can't imagine how exciting it must all be for you. I'm awaiting my AHPRA registration and will hopefully be going on a working visa initially before seeing where I want to settle, then apply for a further visa out there.

I must say I've had mixed feelings about using agencies. Initially I had been highly recommended Geneva by a friend who used them in Melbourne. She said they got everything moving for her really quickly and said it was the best way to get a job. So I signed on with them and they were very helpful initially, but then said there wasn't enough work (I'm a paediatric nurse) for me so might not be able to help further. In this time I emailed a couple hospitals and got some great feedback and a better outlook on work for me, however when I told them I was going through an agency they wouldn't touch me...the lady said she preferred the 'direct' approach. But would happily accept a CV directly. So, all in all I have found it easier looking myself for work and emailing hospitals and managers direct, they are a lot more amenable. But... you also might have better luck with an agency than me. My needs were harder to meet for them I think. You might be best using the agency AND sending some emails yourself too?

Good luck with it all. I'd be interested to hear what you end up doing- I still haven't got a job sorted myself yet

PS- you mentioned that geneva said that your hospitals weren't recruiting... that's also what Geneva said to me, but the hospitals themselves actually were! Geneva even recommended I went to NZ because there was no jobs for me in Sydney!! But actually there are!

:yes:

Guest stotty77

Lisa many thanks for reply.............it would appear they have gone quiet on me at the moment at geneva as not answering my emails as quick as they were usually next day however no reply for week or more.... I was also given their details by friends however i am quickly thinking this may be the end of the road and that I start looking for myself. I only have Ahpra to go and so its getting close to the wire as have young family if was just me not a problem but have to be responsible now.....makes a change!

Thanks for the advice I think I am going to start emailing this evening or at least contacting the hospitals they have "already contacted and not recruiting" and see what the managers say there.

many thanks feeling a little more reassured now.

stotty

Hiya Marion

Info greatly appreciated very kind of you.Hope my application doesnt take too long.Once I have done that I will send my CV to the agency I have registered with and hopefully onto the next stage.Have read a few new posts about some agencies with negative comments about how they feel let down and to apply to the hopital themselves.What is your view on this?Will keep you updated and thanks again

Lisa

Thanks Isis

You and Marion have been extremely helpfull. Hope you getting on well will everything it does take it out of you making sure everything is correct.Will send to Perth office first. Hoping to be in OZ this time next year.Looking foward the kids cant wait twins and daughter. However my son will have to apply himself he is 20 so will not be able to join our visa application. Will keep you updated.

Lisa

i havent used an agency. i registered with WA health and to be honest heard nothing except a nice e-mail to say they will be in touch ( 4 months) I just applied for a job on NSW health and amazingly ( or not as im told) I got a job. I didnt want to work through agencies or private systems as need to be sure for myself I am getting the options to move jobs within a service etc.. My job at work will be held for 3 years ( my boss said to me make your mind up how long you are going for as I dont want to give your job to someone else) so I have the option to come back to this job if I needed wanted to. Sorry I cant be more help.

Telephone interview tomorrow (eeek!) any advice anyone?

I have chose not to use an agency initially, i have approached employers directly. I think it depends on your circumstances and what suits you.

Any tips gratefully received

Thanks in advance

Sunbeam x

Telephone interview tomorrow (eeek!) any advice anyone?

I have chose not to use an agency initially, i have approached employers directly. I think it depends on your circumstances and what suits you.

Any tips gratefully received

Thanks in advance

Sunbeam x

Good luck!!

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/142796-help-interview.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/143735-telephone-interview-next-week.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/143753-interview-help-needed-please.html

3 threads that have some advice.

My advice is to stay calm. The interviewers want the best out of you, they want to recruit a good candidate. If you don't hear or understand what they have asked you get them to repeat the question. Don't miss the obvious and simple things they are important too. Talk about your experience too when giving examples.

Again! Good Luck :biggrin:

Archived