Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest isis1mcc

This is on their proof of identity section: -

If you provided your passport with your visa then you cover all catergory's A, B, and C then you have made full proof of identity requirements.

But if you only supply a passport with out a visa - then you have just made minimum requirement and have to present at their offices with the required documents - your passport with your visa, offer of employment letter and Australian residential address.

This can be found on their website.

Applications from overseas applicants will be assessed only on receipt of the relevant evidence of identity, and an otherwise complete application (all supporting documentation provided and declarations made).

Following assessment the applicant will be advised if they are eligible for registration.

Those eligible applicants who only provided the minimum identity requirements, and/or medical practitioners applying for limited registration (see below) will only be granted registration upon personal presentation at an AHPRA Office with the following evidence:

• If arrived in Australia within the previous 6 weeks:

o original foreign passport or travel document with current Australian visa and proof of date of arrival (e.g. entry stamp); plus

o evidence of their current residential address, an original signed statement from a prospective employer/sponsor verifying the identity of the applicant OR an original offer of employment.

I did speak to AHPRA and do have till my date to present myself at their offices but they recommend to come prior as you may not get registered in time for you starting your work as it can take a few weeks to complete registration.

So that was a relief to hear hope everyone's transition goes smoothly.

I have posted this incase it can be of any help to anyone else going through the same process.

Isis

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sisch

That's good to hear :) and it is exactly what I did (within 6 weeks of arriving in Australia).

I've provided my passport with my visa and my medicare card.

However, after 2 weeks my case officer told me that the proof of ID was incomplete and I will need a job offer letter, which I don't have as I was going to wait for my registration to come through before applying for jobs.

I am totally confused now.

Was it enough for you to get your registration? How long did it take you after handing in your proof of ID?

Guest sisch
Hi Guys,

Have had a break through!! Got a verbal job offer finally:) Paperwork should be sent next week. Then nomination for the 457 visa. I asked AHPRA if they could extend and they advised they cant and infact had to be there 6 weeks prior to my eligibity status running out. I could be not understanding their email properly. Has anyone had this same experience. Also wanted to find out how long the 457 visa is taking for nurses. Also how did other nurses show proof of a residential address in their name, has anyone had to stay with family and how did you go about this with AHPRA. Ps I know I have lots of questions but so excited and a bit anxious as well. Any replies welcome. Isis

About staying with family- you could get them to change a utility bill to your name temporarily.

AHPRA has been such a nightmare- They expired my application after I've finally submitted everything they asked for and told me I haven't met the requirements within 90 days! After many phone calls and contemplating to file a complaint I was given another 30 days. And I've received my letter of eligibility for registration. Just keep asking to speak to a supervisor or keep pestering them.

Good luck!

Guest isis1mcc

Thanks for that, I did speak to AHPRA and they were actually helpful. I do think it does depend who you get as some people are just more helpful.

I got my formal offer, now the wait for the visa commences. I do hope all goes well as this has been a very stressful and trying process but we just will not give up our dream.

I am also very grateful to the people on this site as they have been a great resource of information. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading peoples journeys and experiences and we may even make a few friends from here.

Who knows maybe in a few months time I too will be posting about our life in Oz, God willing everything goes to plan:)

Isis

That's good to hear :) and it is exactly what I did (within 6 weeks of arriving in Australia).

I've provided my passport with my visa and my medicare card.

However, after 2 weeks my case officer told me that the proof of ID was incomplete and I will need a job offer letter, which I don't have as I was going to wait for my registration to come through before applying for jobs.

I am totally confused now.

Was it enough for you to get your registration? How long did it take you after handing in your proof of ID?

Which office was this?

Guest sisch

Just an add-on regarding the Proof of ID. The way isis1mcc interpreted the Proof of ID requirements was exactly how I understood it, too. However, if you only have the minimum requirement proof of ID (which means your passport) you also MUST provide a job offer letter with it. And it is only valid if you present at the office within 6 weeks of arrival in Australia.

For me it seemed easier to just to give them an item from each of the categories (A-D) as I do not have an offer of employment.

So here is what I gave them:

-Passport (any country will do:)

-print out of my Visa (actually only an email I've received from DIAC)

-canadian visa card bank statement (my advice is to change your credit card statements to an australian address before you get there- use a friend's or family's address if you can)

I believe these are additional things you might not need which I provided just to be sure:

-Medicare card (which was far easier than anything else!)

-German Drivers license (they seemed to be happy without a translation)

-Australian bank card

And none of the documents were certified. They were happy with the originals and they took copies of all of them.

So you do not need a job offer!They'll conduct an Australian police check on you (no other police checks are required) which takes only 4 days. However, they tell you that it can take up to 6 weeks to receive your final registration.

I went into their (Melbourne) office today with my bank statement (not even an australian bank!), the final piece to the puzzle and got an e-mail 2 hours later telling me I have been granted registration. I am now a Division 1 registered nurse :D.

Good luck.

Guest isis1mcc

Thats Brilliant news Sisch!!!! And thanks for the info its always good do get insight from someone who been there and done it:) Have been asking in previous thread so thanks again for sharing. Do keep us updated with how you settle.

I am hoping to be in Oz in July, still to start the 457 visa process.

Isis

Guest trasi

Hi

457 is currently taking 4 weeks if your a ENS.

Obviously this is the timescale AFTER police clearance and medicals.

Good luck one and all

Trasi xx

Just an add-on regarding the Proof of ID. The way isis1mcc interpreted the Proof of ID requirements was exactly how I understood it, too. However, if you only have the minimum requirement proof of ID (which means your passport) you also MUST provide a job offer letter with it. And it is only valid if you present at the office within 6 weeks of arrival in Australia.

For me it seemed easier to just to give them an item from each of the categories (A-D) as I do not have an offer of employment.

So here is what I gave them:

-Passport (any country will do:)

-print out of my Visa (actually only an email I've received from DIAC)

-canadian visa card bank statement (my advice is to change your credit card statements to an australian address before you get there- use a friend's or family's address if you can)

I believe these are additional things you might not need which I provided just to be sure:

-Medicare card (which was far easier than anything else!)

-German Drivers license (they seemed to be happy without a translation)

-Australian bank card

And none of the documents were certified. They were happy with the originals and they took copies of all of them.

So you do not need a job offer!They'll conduct an Australian police check on you (no other police checks are required) which takes only 4 days. However, they tell you that it can take up to 6 weeks to receive your final registration.

I went into their (Melbourne) office today with my bank statement (not even an australian bank!), the final piece to the puzzle and got an e-mail 2 hours later telling me I have been granted registration. I am now a Division 1 registered nurse :D.

Good luck.

What ID documents did you send with your original application?

Hi my husband is nearly finished his first year adult nursing degree in the Uk. We have applied for perm res visa 175 and are at medicals stage. Would love some advice please.

should my husband do one year in the uk after he finishes his degree? My daughter completes her A levels in 2 years and I am keen for her to start uni over there ASAP after that. We will both need to work as we will need to send money back to the UK and also pay Uni fees etc. I am a teacher.

What sort of salary would my husband expect? Also is it worth applying for the graduate nursing programme? Obviously need to be near our daughter as won't be able to affoard to pay accommodation for her as well as Uni fees.

Thanks - any advice welcome

Hello,

I am Katie and I currently work as a nurse in the UK for the RAF. After two amazing trips to Oz my partner and I are hoping to move to WA. I have been a nurse for 5 yrs and currently work within Critical care We have not started the application process yet and would really value any advice that people may have for us.

My thoughts were to apply for the skills assessment first and gain registration to work in Oz before applying for the visa. Will have have to pay registration fees once the skills assessment process is complete? I think it will be about 2 yrs before we can actually move to WA and i don't want to be paying for fees any longer than I have to. We have been advised to apply for a 176 visa, would this sound reasonable? Do you know if all nurses have to complete the English skills assessment? I have a GSCE in english and have completed both a-levels and my degree in the UK. Is this enough to prove that I can speak and understand english?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions for us, any information would be gratefully received!

Kind Regards,

Katie :biggrin:

Hello,

I am Katie and I currently work as a nurse in the UK for the RAF. After two amazing trips to Oz my partner and I are hoping to move to WA. I have been a nurse for 5 yrs and currently work within Critical care We have not started the application process yet and would really value any advice that people may have for us.

My thoughts were to apply for the skills assessment first and gain registration to work in Oz before applying for the visa. Will have have to pay registration fees once the skills assessment process is complete? I think it will be about 2 yrs before we can actually move to WA and i don't want to be paying for fees any longer than I have to. We have been advised to apply for a 176 visa, would this sound reasonable? Do you know if all nurses have to complete the English skills assessment? I have a GSCE in english and have completed both a-levels and my degree in the UK. Is this enough to prove that I can speak and understand english?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions for us, any information would be gratefully received!

Kind Regards,

Katie :biggrin:

Hi Katie. From Jully there will be no 176. Check out the skill select on DIAC for further information. It will be called something else.

From July to immigrate on a skilled visa you need a skills assessment with an IELTS of 7 across the 4 sections. Then you apply through an EOI hoping for an invite to apply for a visa.

Registration can take from 16 days to 6 months to get. You will have a year to come out and complete registration, if you cannot get registered offshore. You might wait longer than that for your visa.

You can turn up in Oz with all your documents and get registered in around 2 weeks. You pay annually for your registration fees, same as NMC and with their proposed hike in annual fees you could be paying out a lot to work in one country only!

Good luck. :biggrin:

Hi my husband is nearly finished his first year adult nursing degree in the Uk. We have applied for perm res visa 175 and are at medicals stage. Would love some advice please.

should my husband do one year in the uk after he finishes his degree? My daughter completes her A levels in 2 years and I am keen for her to start uni over there ASAP after that. We will both need to work as we will need to send money back to the UK and also pay Uni fees etc. I am a teacher.

What sort of salary would my husband expect? Also is it worth applying for the graduate nursing programme? Obviously need to be near our daughter as won't be able to affoard to pay accommodation for her as well as Uni fees.

Thanks - any advice welcome

Hi Your choices are complete a year or apply for a Graduate programme. Your daughter would find it easier to get into Uni with her A Levels than transfering into the Oz system at this stage. Graduate posts pay around $45 to 49K, I think!. Teaching can be hard to get into too so read around on the forum for info about getting registered etc to teach.

Good Luck! :biggrin:

Hi guys,

I have been requested for my visa to get a police check and medical assessment done now. I have two questions:

1: do I get the police certificate sent directly to them or to me to email on?

2: my form has been done electronically. when I go for my medical, will they arrange to have my forms submitted for the visa, or do I do this.

Thanks

Liz

Hi guys,

I have been requested for my visa to get a police check and medical assessment done now. I have two questions:

1: do I get the police certificate sent directly to them or to me to email on?

2: my form has been done electronically. when I go for my medical, will they arrange to have my forms submitted for the visa, or do I do this.

Thanks

Liz

ACPO is the check, http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx gives you the info about them.

Others who have gone for medicals have taken a number given to them by the CO ?TRN to the medical and the panel doctor then submit the results to DIAC electronically, I think. If that's wrong someone will correct me. :biggrin:

Hi ,

I am sure you guys know this:wink:. Is ANMAC determination letter sent by post only or do they scan a copy in the email? My husband`s assessment started today, the lady said she might have it finished the same day. We might be applying for SS and we`ll need the assessment info to be included in the application.

Many thanks:biggrin:

Hi ,

I am sure you guys know this:wink:. Is ANMAC determination letter sent by post only or do they scan a copy in the email? My husband`s assessment started today, the lady said she might have it finished the same day. We might be applying for SS and we`ll need the assessment info to be included in the application.

Many thanks:biggrin:

Hi there,

When I had my skills assessed my Anmac they sent my certificate out by post, I didn't receive anything via email.

Liz.

Hi there,

When I had my skills assessed my Anmac they sent my certificate out by post, I didn't receive anything via email.

Liz.

Thanks! Did they send it by DHL/Fedex or just regular mail? I can see it taking 2 weeks to come by regular mail:eek:

Thanks! Did they send it by DHL/Fedex or just regular mail? I can see it taking 2 weeks to come by regular mail:eek:

Regular mail, by the way when you are ready to register with ahpra, get in touch with anmac they will forward on your transcript and also your Nmc verification, save some money lol....

Liz

Hi there,

Thank you for your info. They keep changing the names of the visa's, im sure that it is just to keep us more confused :) If I am right, I need to apply to ANMAC for my skills assessment, then apply to APHRA for registration and then apply for a visa of sorts...depending on what they change the name to. It is very confusing.

Thank you for all your help,

Katie

Hi there,

Thank you for your info. They keep changing the names of the visa's, im sure that it is just to keep us more confused :) If I am right, I need to apply to ANMAC for my skills assessment, then apply to APHRA for registration and then apply for a visa of sorts...depending on what they change the name to. It is very confusing.

Thank you for all your help,

Katie

IELTS first, then ANMAC, then visa, then APHRA. Good luck :biggrin:

Hiya all,

I am a Mental Health Nurse and hoping to take the plunge to move to Oz.It is refreshing to hear from so many nurses hoping to do the same thing.I am under the impression that I have to register with Australian Nursing Midwifery Board then send my CV to a nursing agency who will help with the process of visa (457) application this is the information I have been given.Is this right?Undertaking a lot of reasearch at moment before I hand Over any cash,However it is mindblowing ha.

I am married with four children who cant wait to go,However my husband the ever realist is still unsure.He is a communications engineer and on the skilled list.I say lifes too short.Welcome any feedback.

lisa

Guest isis1mcc

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forum, you on the right track. I did everything in the order you stated above and now in the process of applying for the 457 visa.

I however did struggle to find a job but will recommend a few agencies that I thought were good. I got my job with Health Care Australia so obviuosly recommend them (all regions), for NSW area other posters on here recommended Profco, for Melbourne area either Vital or Health Staff Recruitment.

From what I have read in previous posts the Mental Health Nurses seem to have no problems getting jobs.

Good luck and again this is a great forum, everyone is so helpful and friendly. Isis

Archived