Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey All,

Just to let everyone in the UK know recent developments. The Queensland government changed recently from Labour to Liberal and now "Can do Campbell" Newman is in charge. After a few weeks in caretaker mode (i.e. nothing happening - no decisions made, no-one employed etc) they have now essentially created a job freeze for Queensland Health. So basically, instead of 20 forms to fill out to employ someone it's now 40 and has to go to higher management to be agreed. The knock on effect for my department is it's very difficult to take people on, and nearly all new recruits will be temp contracts, and is likely to be similar across the city (Brisbane), if not the state. Probably likely to continue for a while. Consequently, it may be worth getting in touch to see how the land lies if you have an application in progress. Best of luck, and hope you get what you're after.

Incorrect. Don't know where you're getting your info??????????? Redcliffe hospital???? No jobs freeze in SEcorner. The change only amounts to NUM's not being able to hire without it going to higher authority than previous..................they've simply kicked the authority upstairs to justify those upstairs having a position................more managerial responsibilty means they can better justify them holding that position...............in their eyes at least.

Incorrect. Don't know where you're getting your info??????????? Redcliffe hospital???? No jobs freeze in SEcorner. The change only amounts to NUM's not being able to hire without it going to higher authority than previous..................they've simply kicked the authority upstairs to justify those upstairs having a position................more managerial responsibilty means they can better justify them holding that position...............in their eyes at least.

Ok, I was well and truly shot down there! I am only trying to help out, and pass on the information that my NUM gave me last week. Maybe job freeze was too strong, so i apologise for that. I'm not at Redcliffe, but a large hospital on the North side of Brisbane. I am just trying to point out that, in my opinion, and that of my Nurse Unit Manger and Nursing Director, there are fewer positions around the North side. I extended that across the city, as I presumed that it would be the same, which you say is not the case. I looked up the current job situation for the government, which includes QH and all other agencies that may employ nurses. Currently (i.e. today) the Queensland Government is advertising 4 nursing jobs of any grade in the whole of the North side, which I have included below if anyone wants to have a look:

Job search

Displaying search results 1–4 of 4 matching jobs

[TABLE=class: striped]

[TR=class: result-start]

[TD=class: select][/TD]

[TD=class: job-title, colspan: 2]Clinical Nurse Consultant[/TD]

[TD=class: classification, align: right]Nurse Grade 7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: even]

[TD=class: agency, bgcolor: transparent, colspan: 2]Queensland Health[/TD]

[TD=class: position-type, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]Permanent Full-time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: result-end meta]

[TD=class: location]Brisbane - North[/TD]

[TD=class: category]Health - Nursing[/TD]

[TD=class: closing-date, align: right]Closes 1 Jun 2012[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: result-start even]

[TD=class: select, bgcolor: transparent][/TD]

[TD=class: job-title, bgcolor: transparent, colspan: 2]Clinical Nurse (Breast Screening Clinic)[/TD]

[TD=class: classification, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]Nurse Grade 6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: agency, colspan: 2]Queensland Health[/TD]

[TD=class: position-type, align: right]Permanent Part-time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: result-end meta even]

[TD=class: location, bgcolor: transparent]Brisbane - North[/TD]

[TD=class: category, bgcolor: transparent]Health - Nursing[/TD]

[TD=class: closing-date, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]Closes 29 May 2012[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: result-start]

[TD=class: select][/TD]

[TD=class: job-title, colspan: 2]Clinical Nurse - Elective Surgery Support Officer[/TD]

[TD=class: classification, align: right]Nurse Grade 6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: even]

[TD=class: agency, bgcolor: transparent, colspan: 2]Queensland Health[/TD]

[TD=class: position-type, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]Permanent Full-time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: result-end meta]

[TD=class: location]Brisbane - North[/TD]

[TD=class: category]Health - Nursing[/TD]

[TD=class: closing-date, align: right]Closes 28 May 2012[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: result-start even]

[TD=class: select, bgcolor: transparent][/TD]

[TD=class: job-title, bgcolor: transparent, colspan: 2]Clinical Nurse Consultant - Care Coordination - Urology[/TD]

[TD=class: classification, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]Nurse Grade 7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: agency, colspan: 2]Queensland Health[/TD]

[TD=class: position-type, align: right]Permanent Full-time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: result-end meta even]

[TD=class: location, bgcolor: transparent]Brisbane - North[/TD]

[TD=class: category, bgcolor: transparent]Health - Nursing[/TD]

[TD=class: closing-date, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]Closes 22 May 2012[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I compared with what was around in November (from my QH job emails - see below) and it appears, in my opinion, that there are fewer positions about. Sorry again for any confusion. I sincerely hope that other posters may be able to lead you to other vacancies. Again- I hope you all get what you are after. With best wishes.

[TABLE=width: 770]

[TR]

[TD]Position Title:[/TD]

[TD]Clinical Nurse (Clinical Facilitator - RN/EN Support), Cancer Care Services[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Organisation:[/TD]

[TD]Queensland Health[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Location:[/TD]

[TD]Brisbane - North[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Closing date:[/TD]

[TD]10-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Job Ref:[/TD]

[TD]QLD/H11RBH10439[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurse (Haematology Clinics), Oncology Clinics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RBH10505[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Nurse Researcher (Clinical Academic Fellow)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RBH10593[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurse, Inner North Brisbane Mental Health Service.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RBH10292[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurse, 9B North, Internal Medicine Services[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RBH10527[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Registered Nurses, Community Child Youth and Family Health Service (Central)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]07-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RCH1032[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurse, Homeless Health Outreach Team[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RBH10235[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurse, Discharge Facilitation Unit[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RBH10208[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurses, Ward 2C and Ward 2D, Nursing Services[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11PCH10278[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurse, Cancer Care Services[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RBH10287[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurse, Oncology Day Therapy and Apheresis Unit[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]07-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]QLD/H11RBH10387[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurses (Respiratory), Thoracic Program[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]07-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11PCH09699[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurse, Primary Care Program (0 -12 Service)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]07-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RCH1080[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurse, Child and Youth Mental Health Service[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]07-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RCH10226[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Clinical Nurses, Coronary Care Unit and Chest Pain Assessment Service[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]07-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11PCH1089[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Nurse Unit Manager, Geriatric Evaluations Management Unit[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]07-Nov-2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD/H11RBH10147[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hoping to come out for reccie visit in February , did you call HR departements and arrange interviews first when you went out or simply turn up with cv and aphra - for a chat and look around ,457 suits me fine , which hosp do you work at ? , thanks for info x

Hi! I was already here in Oz when I started looking for a job, so I applied for a few jobs local-ish, not all nursing jobs, but related to nursing if not. I didn't get an interview. I was applying for entry level positions (like physio assistant, phlebotomist etc) to see if I could get a foot in the door while my registration came through. After 3 or 4 I asked for feedback and was told they thought I was overqualified, and would be bored. So they suggested I came in for a chat and more or less offered me a job on the spot as a CN (i had to go back the next day for an interview and all that, to ensure due process was carried out). I was looking for something less stressful tbh, but was grateful for the opportunity so took it, and demoted myself a few months later.

I just found that in QLD, it appeared they like to see you and speak to you a bit more rather than just go with whats on paper. We have around 70 nurses in my department and everyone over the last couple of years was taken initially on a temp contract, before being offered permanent, so they can see how you go before committing lol.

Best of luck with the job hunting. Again, only my opinion, but I would have found it easier to work in a field I had experience in rather than starting in a different area. Just something to consider.

Did you go to the HR or to the unit you were interested in? I am afraid if I just show up they will kick me out ( politely:wink:

).

Hi I emailed the Nurse Unit Manager and it sort of went from there. She offered to see me. Good luck!

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the nurse patient ratio is in Oz. I am currently on a surgical ward and have 9-13 patients.

Hi, I don't work on a ward, but QLD Health are quite good on ratios. The policy cites:

mornings- 1-4

afternoons- 1-5

nights- 1-9

as an example, but I couldn't tell you if this is the case in reality. That said, they do have lots of posters up around the hospitals reminding people that they can report workload issues such as this, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually the case.

Hi, I don't work on a ward, but QLD Health are quite good on ratios. The policy cites:

mornings- 1-4

afternoons- 1-5

nights- 1-9

as an example, but I couldn't tell you if this is the case in reality. That said, they do have lots of posters up around the hospitals reminding people that they can report workload issues such as this, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually the case.

Thanks crazmook this sounds wonderful

Currently (i.e. today) the Queensland Government is advertising 4 nursing jobs of any grade in the whole of the North side, which I have included below if anyone wants to have a look:
It is fairly obvious that the whole of the Northside needs more than just 4 vacancies filling at any one time considering the amount of staff employed (Qld health I believe being the largest employer) The Qld health website isn't indicative of the job vacancies. The hospitals don't submit to the website externally if they think roles can be filled internally, or Expression of Interests are sufficient to fill the roles. Of course, it doesn't follow that the role will be filled internally if an external person hears of the role, places an expression of interest, and is suitable for the role. Obviously, a prospective migrant wouldn't be aware of the vacancies and may well think their chances are slim when receieving info such as posted here and at the website. Therefore, it pays to have someone on the "inside" with their "ear to the ground" for roles not advertised at the website but published internally at the individual hospitals. You will rarely find roles advertised for level 1 RN at the website (unless they are having difficulty filling that role...........mainly speciality.......community etc)........... most adverts are for clinical nurse and higher. The alternative is to "take a chance" and arrive without a job, but personally, I have known many who did just that and none of them were unemployed longer than a month. Taking a chance, beats a 457 visa hands down IMHO.

Guest virache

Hello dear colleagues,

I am newly registered (about 30minutes ago) and very excited to be getting/reading such substantial first-hand info. many thanks.

I am a Registered Mental health Nurse, registered with AHPRA but still here in the UK. I intended migrating to live/work in Brisbane but nothing came from there but from Darwin. I have accepted as I plan spending 2 years there and moving to Brisbane eventually.

Any advice/suggestions regarding this plan and especially whether to accept their offered Hospital sponsorship or apply for State Sponsorship would be highly appreciated.........................plus how/where do I apply for this visa (I am also not sure the type of visa I should apply for 175, 176 or 457).

Many thanks for any suggestion/opinion/advise.

Sincerely

Victoria

Hello dear colleagues,

I am newly registered (about 30minutes ago) and very excited to be getting/reading such substantial first-hand info. many thanks.

I am a Registered Mental health Nurse, registered with AHPRA but still here in the UK. I intended migrating to live/work in Brisbane but nothing came from there but from Darwin. I have accepted as I plan spending 2 years there and moving to Brisbane eventually.

Any advice/suggestions regarding this plan and especially whether to accept their offered Hospital sponsorship or apply for State Sponsorship would be highly appreciated.........................plus how/where do I apply for this visa (I am also not sure the type of visa I should apply for 175, 176 or 457).

Many thanks for any suggestion/opinion/advise.

Sincerely

Victoria

Congratulations! Have you asked an agent (MARA) for their opinion? I understand they will give free initial advice. Perhaps ask in the migration thread as if depends on a lot of other variables.

Guest Lisa26

Hi all,

I'm a trained Paediatric Nurse, working as a School Nurse in the UK at the mo. Am torn between continuing community nursing (currently band 6 level) or moving back to clinical (for which I would have to drop to a band 5 but am completely fine with that).

Does anyone know how to contact Community Children's Health to enquire about School Nursing (in NSW) I can't seem to find a correct email and am being passed to the wrong departments.

Anyone know?? Or does anyone have any info on Children's Community Nursing in Oz??

Ta

x

Hi all,

I'm a trained Paediatric Nurse, working as a School Nurse in the UK at the mo. Am torn between continuing community nursing (currently band 6 level) or moving back to clinical (for which I would have to drop to a band 5 but am completely fine with that).

Does anyone know how to contact Community Children's Health to enquire about School Nursing (in NSW) I can't seem to find a correct email and am being passed to the wrong departments.

Anyone know?? Or does anyone have any info on Children's Community Nursing in Oz??

Ta

x

http://www7.health.nsw.gov.au/healthjobs/Default.cfm?S_KEYWORD=school&S_HEALTHAREA=&S_GROUPING=NURSING&S_AWARDCLASSIFICATION=&ID=1233&CFID=12562389&CFTOKEN=23838851

This is one example of a search on the NSW job search. You will find managers contact details too. Good luck. :biggrin:

Hi,

just a quick question about AHPRA application ( want to get it right the first time):wink:

the signature at the Consent section and the signature at the end of application, do they need to be notarized? It doesn`t look like it but they certainly DID want it for ANMAC ( certify that this is the signature of the applicant by a notary).

Hi Maruska, A signature needs to be notarised. As I forgot to do this with the application I printed my APHRA CV again and signed it again, this time in front of the JP and sent that off. So either signature notarised should be okay. :biggrin:

Hello :)

My husband Russ and I are looking to move to Perth, we have 2 boys 5 + 2 and all going well another due in Dec. Russ is a Registered Mental Health Nurse, band 6, nursing for 10yrs, he works on an elderly care ward for functional illness. We are looking to move cause they are shutting his ward within the year, along with other wards and it is getting worrying, cause of the limited job opportunities.

My husband Russ and I are looking to move to Perth, we have 2 boys 5 + 2 and all going well another due in Dec. Russ is a Registered Mental Health Nurse, band 6, nursing for 10yrs, he works on an elderly care ward for functional illness. We are looking to move cause they are shutting his ward within the year, along with other wards and it is getting worrying, cause of the limited job opportunities.

Hello and welcome:wubclub:

. Did you look into your visa options already? There are many:eek: lol

Hi Russ and Claire!! welcome, have you looked at the points test on the DIAC website http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-applicant.htm

Ask lots of questions too. :biggrin:

Guest isis1mcc

Hi Guys,

Have had a break through!! Got a verbal job offer finally:) Paperwork should be sent next week. Then nomination for the 457 visa. I asked AHPRA if they could extend and they advised they cant and infact had to be there 6 weeks prior to my eligibity status running out. I could be not understanding their email properly. Has anyone had this same experience. Also wanted to find out how long the 457 visa is taking for nurses. Also how did other nurses show proof of a residential address in their name, has anyone had to stay with family and how did you go about this with AHPRA. Ps I know I have lots of questions but so excited and a bit anxious as well. Any replies welcome. Isis

Thank you :biggrin:

Regarding the points test for the current subclass 175, Russ has 55pts, that score doesn't include the IELTS, so looks good so far for that but obviously they are changing visa system in July but we can apply for a employed sponsored visa but I like the idea of a permanent visa, I think there are pros and cons for both.

Guest Lisa26
http://www7.health.nsw.gov.au/healthjobs/Default.cfm?S_KEYWORD=school&S_HEALTHAREA=&S_GROUPING=NURSING&S_AWARDCLASSIFICATION=&ID=1233&CFID=12562389&CFTOKEN=23838851

This is one example of a search on the NSW job search. You will find managers contact details too. Good luck. :biggrin:

Thanks again GilraenH, that's great stuff!! Have to start sending some emails. I'd been told by an agent that I couldn't apply for jobs until my registration has come through, but looking on this forum it seems I can!!

Cheers :)

Hi Guys,

Have had a break through!! Got a verbal job offer finally:) Paperwork should be sent next week. Then nomination for the 457 visa. I asked AHPRA if they could extend and they advised they cant and infact had to be there 6 weeks prior to my eligibity status running out. I could be not understanding their email properly. Has anyone had this same experience. Also wanted to find out how long the 457 visa is taking for nurses. Also how did other nurses show proof of a residential address in their name, has anyone had to stay with family and how did you go about this with AHPRA. Ps I know I have lots of questions but so excited and a bit anxious as well. Any replies welcome. Isis

No my eligibility letter states

the assessment determination is valid for 12 months from the date of the letter

sorry no idea about how long it takes.......457.

I think I read that your passport is required, but not read about any other proof. Perhaps someone will be along to enlighten us. :biggrin:

It is fairly obvious that the whole of the Northside needs more than just 4 vacancies filling at any one time considering the amount of staff employed (Qld health I believe being the largest employer) The Qld health website isn't indicative of the job vacancies. The hospitals don't submit to the website externally if they think roles can be filled internally, or Expression of Interests are sufficient to fill the roles. Of course, it doesn't follow that the role will be filled internally if an external person hears of the role, places an expression of interest, and is suitable for the role. Obviously, a prospective migrant wouldn't be aware of the vacancies and may well think their chances are slim when receieving info such as posted here and at the website. Therefore, it pays to have someone on the "inside" with their "ear to the ground" for roles not advertised at the website but published internally at the individual hospitals. You will rarely find roles advertised for level 1 RN at the website (unless they are having difficulty filling that role...........mainly speciality.......community etc)........... most adverts are for clinical nurse and higher. The alternative is to "take a chance" and arrive without a job, but personally, I have known many who did just that and none of them were unemployed longer than a month. Taking a chance, beats a 457 visa hands down IMHO.

Sausageman, you are indeed correct again. This moving lark takes effort and if i may direct people toward the bulletin that Queensland Health release then people will see that there are many more vacancies, but like you say, having those on the inside helps.......so about that chef job in the hospital? ;-)

Archived