Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest isis1mcc

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask the nurses who have recently applied for their 457 visa how long it took. My AHPRA registration is running out in August and still not found a job, a few potentials but still need to get interviews which can take time. Think I'm cutting it fine now, would AHPRA extend if my visa was being processed?? Isis

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask the nurses who have recently applied for their 457 visa how long it took. My AHPRA registration is running out in August and still not found a job, a few potentials but still need to get interviews which can take time. Think I'm cutting it fine now, would AHPRA extend if my visa was being processed?? Isis

As long as you fulfill the original conditions (still practicing), you just register for another year.................unless it's changed recently

Hi All,

newlifeincoming- I was a band 7 in UK. It's quite difficult to come across band 7s in Oz, there doesn't seem to be as many around. In my department of 70 nurses there are 2 band 7s. I was a Nurse Practitioner in UK, but not qualified enough for a band 8 Oz NP so started looking for a band 7 or a Clinical Nurse or even Registered Nurse role here in Oz. The first thing I learnt was that meeting in person has a significant advantage over applying by computer. I applied for a band 5, and was not offered an interview. I contacted the manager and asked for feedback, and she asked me to come in for a chat and then offered me a CN job on the spot! It is a really strange culture. In the end I didn't really like the CN job and dropped down to RN. More job satisfaction and less bother and politics for 50 cents an hour less lol.

I found the culture very different and obviously the hospital was completely different, and consequently I found it fairly hard to adjust. I stuck at it and performed ok, but certainly missed the familiarity that came from working in the same hospital for the last 10 years in England. I guess I mean that I missed the "autopilot" that you get from being familiar with the job- the things that are second nature are no longer there, so instead of really having to concentrate on certain things, I found that I had to completely concentrate on everything all the time. That applies to everything- from the procedure for getting a porter/wardie, to pay, to uniforms, drugs - everything! They gave me a phone instead of a bleep for goodness sake! You have to answer as well ha ha.

So overall I thought it was a bit too difficult to pop over the other side of the world and start managing people in a job they had been doing for years. I have to admit however, that if you can find a job in the same speciality it would be much easier.

Anyway, just my thoughts- best of luck with your move and every success on the job front.

Dansi-

In the hospital I work in there doesn't appear to be any grade in between an Assistant in nursing and an Enrolled nurse.

$45-50k for AIN and $46-56k for EN. Cheers.

Oh I should add for both of the posts, I am based in Brisbane.:biggrin:

Guest isis1mcc
As long as you fulfill the original conditions (still practicing), you just register for another year.................unless it's changed recently

Thanks for the reply, does that mean I can just pay to renew AHPRA registration, but dont require to do the assessment again? Thanks Isis

Hi guys,

Hi Isis, 457 visa is pretty quick however u can extend your AHPRA time given to complete registration. I am sure one of the members Tracyd has got extension of 3 months and received a new letter. Please search the nursing section you will find the correct name if it's not Tracyd but it starts with Tracy

Hope that helps.

.....Mansawant

Guest isis1mcc
Hi Isis, 457 visa is pretty quick however u can extend your AHPRA time given to complete registration. I am sure one of the members Tracyd has got extension of 3 months and received a new letter. Please search the nursing section you will find the correct name if it's not Tracyd but it starts with Tracy

Hope that helps.

.....Mansawant

Thanks so much thats been such good news to hear now have to find Tracey and see how she went about it. There is hope at the end of the tunnel:) Isis

Thanks so much thats been such good news to hear now have to find Tracey and see how she went about it. There is hope at the end of the tunnel:) Isis

I have also read that post somewhere too , think it was 'May 2012 Aphra apps' - she just emailed APHRA to request an extension

Hi All,

newlifeincoming- I was a band 7 in UK. It's quite difficult to come across band 7s in Oz, there doesn't seem to be as many around. In my department of 70 nurses there are 2 band 7s. I was a Nurse Practitioner in UK, but not qualified enough for a band 8 Oz NP so started looking for a band 7 or a Clinical Nurse or even Registered Nurse role here in Oz. The first thing I learnt was that meeting in person has a significant advantage over applying by computer. I applied for a band 5, and was not offered an interview. I contacted the manager and asked for feedback, and she asked me to come in for a chat and then offered me a CN job on the spot! It is a really strange culture. In the end I didn't really like the CN job and dropped down to RN. More job satisfaction and less bother and politics for 50 cents an hour less lol.

I found the culture very different and obviously the hospital was completely different, and consequently I found it fairly hard to adjust. I stuck at it and performed ok, but certainly missed the familiarity that came from working in the same hospital for the last 10 years in England. I guess I mean that I missed the "autopilot" that you get from being familiar with the job- the things that are second nature are no longer there, so instead of really having to concentrate on certain things, I found that I had to completely concentrate on everything all the time. That applies to everything- from the procedure for getting a porter/wardie, to pay, to uniforms, drugs - everything! They gave me a phone instead of a bleep for goodness sake! You have to answer as well ha ha.

So overall I thought it was a bit too difficult to pop over the other side of the world and start managing people in a job they had been doing for years. I have to admit however, that if you can find a job in the same speciality it would be much easier.

Anyway, just my thoughts- best of luck with your move and every success on the job front.

Dansi-

In the hospital I work in there doesn't appear to be any grade in between an Assistant in nursing and an Enrolled nurse.

$45-50k for AIN and $46-56k for EN. Cheers.

Oh I should add for both of the posts, I am based in Brisbane.:biggrin:

Hi Crazmook,

OK thats kinda what we thought! Thank you, are there many positions going for AIN's in the toowoomba area anyone know??

Cheers

Simon

[h=2]Visa Application for Nurses[/h]I'm not getting any responses to the post below, probably because I posted it in the wrong place.

Can any nurses advise please? I am completing the online visa application and on the page that lists "position details" it asks for educational qualifications, professional qualifications and Training (including on the job training). What did other nurses put in the Training box? Do I include CPD and what period should I cover? Thanks in advance

Visa Application for Nurses

I'm not getting any responses to the post below, probably because I posted it in the wrong place.

Can any nurses advise please? I am completing the online visa application and on the page that lists "position details" it asks for educational qualifications, professional qualifications and Training (including on the job training). What did other nurses put in the Training box? Do I include CPD and what period should I cover? Thanks in advance

not sure as havent got that far yet still sorting APHRA stuff, im sure a nurse who as applied will be along soon to advise you

i think i read somewhere up to 5 yrs CPD if you have it. x

Can anyone enlighten me on how long it can take to secure a job in Australia...sent so many emails and submitted expression of interest applications to Queensland, Western Australia and Northern territory's Health Authorities but not had any luck..beginning to think that my age may be going against me (47)...I am a mental health nurse with 12 years experience, I have got my APHRA registration but not sure what to do next..any body got any advise please

I applied for any jobs I liked the sound of, applied for 3 jobs, didn't hear back for one of them, but had interview within a month for the other two, and a month later was told that I had got them. Employment checks are still going through 5 months for the one I accepted so can't sort out visa yet as they are sponsoring me. Mond you, I am a paediatric nurse and could only get a job in 2 states. Tracey

Can anyone enlighten me on how long it can take to secure a job in Australia...sent so many emails and submitted expression of interest applications to Queensland, Western Australia and Northern territory's Health Authorities but not had any luck..beginning to think that my age may be going against me (47)...I am a mental health nurse with 12 years experience, I have got my APHRA registration but not sure what to do next..any body got any advise please

would just like to reassure you on the age front Deb....I'm told by my daughter (For./ MH) there are lots & lots of "older" nurses around..I'm sure it won't be a problem....just keep trying. It's obviously easier for them if you apply onshore so if you're planning a visit at some point it could make all the difference ..good luck

Hey All,

Just to let everyone in the UK know recent developments. The Queensland government changed recently from Labour to Liberal and now "Can do Campbell" Newman is in charge. After a few weeks in caretaker mode (i.e. nothing happening - no decisions made, no-one employed etc) they have now essentially created a job freeze for Queensland Health. So basically, instead of 20 forms to fill out to employ someone it's now 40 and has to go to higher management to be agreed. The knock on effect for my department is it's very difficult to take people on, and nearly all new recruits will be temp contracts, and is likely to be similar across the city (Brisbane), if not the state. Probably likely to continue for a while. Consequently, it may be worth getting in touch to see how the land lies if you have an application in progress. Best of luck, and hope you get what you're after.

Hi! The average age of QLD nurses is something like 55 lol! I didn't try to get a job before I got here, but had a few applications ignored. When I went in person- different story, they offered me a job on the spot! So don't give up- keep trying. Good luck with it.

Hi Crazmook,

OK thats kinda what we thought! Thank you, are there many positions going for AIN's in the toowoomba area anyone know??

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

See my post about the recent position in Queensland Health, although it won't last for ever things are a bit tight at the moment.

I dont know if you've seen the QH website- they list all the jobs http://www.health.qld.gov.au/jobs/default.asp

You can sign up for the emailed job adverts. I still get these- they are quite good (you can specify area, job etc). 2-3 months ago I got emails just about everyday with between 2 and 15 jobs being advertised, but at present they are coming through at a trickle- about 1 job a day. Obviously depends when you plan on coming, but hopefully in a couple of months there will be more jobs about. It is also important to remember that QH (and most private hospitals) will reward previous service. Here are the QH pay scales for last year (this years are not published yet, but the nurse pay scale has just been awarded a 3% per year rise for three years). http://www.health.qld.gov.au/hrpolicies/wage_rates/nursing.asp

Good luck!

addition- don't forgot to consider you will need to, at least, double your English wage (in Pounds) to get an approx cost of living comparison.

i.e. if you earn 30k Pounds you will need at least $60k to have the same standard of living in QLD. (all other things being equal- like number of cars, level of child care, mortgage size etc).

Guest isis1mcc
Yes, Isis, I have sent you a private message Tracey

Thanks very much Tracey I got your message. Isis

Hi Mansawant, it's been quite a while. so when are u & your family leaving for Oz?

Hi Angel123, We are still waiting for visa grant. The main reason for the delay was offer letter. As they do lot of employment checks the hospital took 4 months to issue job offer and then applied for nomination. Now the nomination has been approved and we have applied for visa. The visa is permanent visa so it's taking bit time but hoping to get visa grant very soon...fingers crossed.

....Mansawant

Hi! The average age of QLD nurses is something like 55 lol! I didn't try to get a job before I got here, but had a few applications ignored. When I went in person- different story, they offered me a job on the spot! So don't give up- keep trying. Good luck with it.

Hoping to come out for reccie visit in February , did you call HR departements and arrange interviews first when you went out or simply turn up with cv and aphra - for a chat and look around ,457 suits me fine , which hosp do you work at ? , thanks for info x

Did you go to the HR or to the unit you were interested in? I am afraid if I just show up they will kick me out ( politely:wink:

).

Archived