Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi

I don't work in Theatrs, but colleagues who are in anaesthetics tell me that Anaesthetic Technicians are highly valued in those hospitals that have them. With some hospitals having policies that an anaesthetic will not be given unless an Anaesthetic Technician is available to ensure safety.

I would suggest approaching hospitals in the are in which you wish to settle.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No you didn't. I answered your question and offered you advice. If you don't like that advice, then fair enough, but as an employer, I would question your commitment if you were given a "hand out" but rather than read it, you posed a question that was covered in the hand out.

This is a "sticky" thread containing heaps of information pertaining to nursing, and the visa process. Read "as a whole" it would have answered your question and many more that you will likely have in the future as I have outlined the Qld Iversiion of "bank nursing' on a couple of occasions and my wife has even found jobs for some nurses interested in "bank" which here, is known as "pool". If those nurses hadn't availed themselves of all the info contained in these nigh on 300 pages, they likely would not have made contact with the folk who could help them.

When you see the same questions posed, time and time again, then it can get rather tiresome. On reflection, my post was abrupt and reads rather rude. It was late, I was tired, and brevity in posting doesn't become me, so my apologies

I love you John Doe! Can u have my babies? LOL!

WOW!!! I REALLY RATTLED YOUR CAGE DIDN'T I JOHNDOE?

I didn't say I couldn't be arsed to read through 200+ posts, and I didn't for one minute expect someone else to do it for me! I just asked a simple question, like hundreds, if not more, of people before me hoping to get an answer from someone who was a bank nurse, as this is a nurses thread.

Also, if you'd read my question properly before getting on your extremely high horse, you would have seen that I'm in the process of getting myself to Australia. How dare you tell me to rethink my commitment. I was pleased to have found this site, and have, up to now, found it very friendly and informative, I am however rethinking my first impressions as life is stressful enough without being attacked by a faceless troll. Maybe you should have have a rethink on your contribution to this site and if you can't be civil, be quiet!

Trust me.....he is more help than you know, an no troll believe me.

Guest trishandco

Hi my name is Trish and I am currently working as a school nurse (used to be known as "nit nurse" but now more health promotion/public health). I am also dual qualified (RGN and RSCN) but not worked in general nursing for quite a few years and not in acute paediatrics for 3 years. I have a partner who works for a global company Cummins who has a base in Melbourne. We also have 2 girls Emma & Sophie aged 18 & 16 and have finally realised that we could do with a change. I would love to stay in school nursing (or youth health nurses i think they're called over there).

Oz sounds ideal for us as a family however how & all the ins and outs are really confusing. I dont even know where to start visas. jobs, age university etc so could anyone HELP please XX :unsure:

Hi my name is Trish and I am currently working as a school nurse (used to be known as "nit nurse" but now more health promotion/public health). I am also dual qualified (RGN and RSCN) but not worked in general nursing for quite a few years and not in acute paediatrics for 3 years. I have a partner who works for a global company Cummins who has a base in Melbourne. We also have 2 girls Emma & Sophie aged 18 & 16 and have finally realised that we could do with a change. I would love to stay in school nursing (or youth health nurses i think they're called over there).

Oz sounds ideal for us as a family however how & all the ins and outs are really confusing. I dont even know where to start visas. jobs, age university etc so could anyone HELP please XX :unsure:

Welcome Trish! Where are you thinking of going to?

Guest trishandco

Hi thanks for the welcome, we are thinking of melbourne but not too sure although my partner' company has a base there. It would aslo depend on me getting a job so it could be that we go wherever there are jobs . Again i am so unsure as to where to start that i am becoming unsettled and frustrated. Where r u going?

Hi thanks for the welcome, we are thinking of melbourne but not too sure although my partner' company has a base there. It would aslo depend on me getting a job so it could be that we go wherever there are jobs . Again i am so unsure as to where to start that i am becoming unsettled and frustrated. Where r u going?

Not fixed yet where we are going, but it will not be one of the big cities. There are plenty of nursing jobs, it might be a little harder to get school nurse posts as they are very sought after, or so I'm told. If you gear your CV and cover letter to general community/child health you might find it a little easier. Australian nurses do one general nurse training and add to it through experience instead of qualifications like we do. Look at your experience over the past 5 years and focus on the skills and transferability of those. Read as much as you can and Good Luck. :biggrin:

Guest Stevieboy22
Hi Yorkiegirl, thanks for your reply. Were you on a 457 visa and do you know if Hospitals are willing to sponsor a 457 visa for casual pool? Did you manage to get the equivalent to full time hours whilst working in the casual pool?

Are you still in Perth now? How do you enjoy it and how does it compare to working in British Paeds hospitals?

We have come to realise that we are likely to end up in one of the big cities having had a look around at jobs, or lack of in Paeds. All about compromise hey? We've been told that out there adult nurses can work on childrens wards meaning that Paeds roles are filled quite quickly... not sure how true this is...

Thanks again, Mat

Hi Mat,

One way of finding a Paeds job, as I did, is to contact the hospitals directly. You can go on their websites and subscribe to their mailing list or contact a Unit Manager directly attaching your CV for them to look at. Paeds trained nurses from the UK and Ireland are sought after and this may be a good way to make contact. That's how I arranged a full time job before leaving the UK.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi I am a nurse we have just completed our meds and fingures crossed we should have our Family sponsored 176 approved in the next 2 weeks.

I have not yet applied to AHPR is this something I should start now as I hear it can take a while to process the application?

Cheers

Hi I am a nurse we have just completed our meds and fingures crossed we should have our Family sponsored 176 approved in the next 2 weeks.

I have not yet applied to AHPR is this something I should start now as I hear it can take a while to process the application?

Cheers

When are you moving? APHRA will hold your 'in principle' registration for approximately a year after the grant it, so you don't want it to expire and have to do it again? :biggrin:

Hi Everyone!!!!

This post is great idea, Im only a student nurse, nearly finished my 2nd year but I know that I want to go to Australia as soon as Im qualified, its something I have always wanted to do, I have no children and am only 23 so me and partner are definitely up for it! Im going to go for permanent residency and hopefully onto a postgraduate course!! Im so excited about the prospects just upset that I might have to leave my dogs :(. How long did the whole process take for you guys to get out there after visa applications and what not?? Cant wait to go im so excited!!!! so glad that people are out there where I want to be, your definitely an inspiration and prove it can be done!!

Love Emma xx

Hi, I have had my skills assessed and now I need to apply for registration. Where do I go from here? How do I check that APHRA have my documents from the ANMAC? I have read through the application form (briefly) and I presume I don't need to attach any documents as they should already have them? Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I am totally confused. Thanks, Kath.:confused:

Thanks Tracey, I'll do that. I haven't sent the APHRA application form off yet, do I just put a note on it to say that the documentation is being sent from ANMAC with my LOD no. and file no.? What did you do? Still confused by it all (I have just had a baby and I think it has left me a bit brain damaged)!!

Hi Kath,

You have to email ANMAC where you had your skills assessment done and ask them to forward them to AHPRA to the office where you sent application. Hope this makes sense. Tracey

All my documents for my ANMAC skills assessment were certified by a barrister, as a legal practitioner was one of the professions able to certify. I was hoping to get ANMAC to forward all my doc to APHRA but AHPRA say that they need to be notarised (a barrister will not do). Has anyone else encountered this? It looks like a lot of my docs will need to be notarised and sent again to APHRA.

Gaynor x

All my documents for my ANMAC skills assessment were certified by a barrister, as a legal practitioner was one of the professions able to certify. I was hoping to get ANMAC to forward all my doc to APHRA but AHPRA say that they need to be notarised (a barrister will not do). Has anyone else encountered this? It looks like a lot of my docs will need to be notarised and sent again to APHRA.

Gaynor x

Gaynor,

A magistrate at your local court can certify them for Aphra.

Paul.

Hi all,

I sort of have a job offer, references pending, and was wondering how long an employer would be willing to wait for us to get there. My plan was to make the move in May when we activate but things just aren't working out as planned at this end so now it will prob be the end of the year. Do you think they'll wait that long or am I dreaming?

Nik x

Archived