Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Dear All,

My OH has recently recieved her AHPRA eligibilty letter, however we are finding it difficult to find any work in this field of nursing (Paediatrics). We're still in the UK and were wondering whether anyone has any advice, contacts or know how in getting work?

Only problem I see is that we are reluctant to move to a big city as this is what we're trying to get away from.

We've tried contacting NUMs directly, gone through the 'Expression of Interest' route, even the agencies are saying there is not a lot of Paeds roles available.

Is this true? Are Paeds jobs few and far between?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Leighton76
Dear All,

My OH has recently recieved her AHPRA eligibilty letter, however we are finding it difficult to find any work in this field of nursing (Paediatrics). We're still in the UK and were wondering whether anyone has any advice, contacts or know how in getting work?

Only problem I see is that we are reluctant to move to a big city as this is what we're trying to get away from.

We've tried contacting NUMs directly, gone through the 'Expression of Interest' route, even the agencies are saying there is not a lot of Paeds roles available.

Hi Matt,

Have you tried Ramsay health care, they currently have a vacnacy in Victoria (Mildura) for paeds and also in Perth (Joondaloop), they are really helpful if you just e:mail the HR department. I'm here in Manchester and they got back to me with some queries I mailed within a couple of days. They can sponsor and offer relocation package. Worth a shot!!

Good luck

Hi Matt,

Have you tried Ramsay health care, they currently have a vacnacy in Victoria (Mildura) for paeds and also in Perth (Joondaloop), they are really helpful if you just e:mail the HR department. I'm here in Manchester and they got back to me with some queries I mailed within a couple of days. They can sponsor and offer relocation package. Worth a shot!!

Good luck

Hi Leighton,

Thanks for that, we'll give them a go. Do you work in a private hospital in Manchester? Or are you just keeping your options open when/if going to Oz?

Hi All

As this is all about Nurses I'm going to detail my job offer as a Community Manager in SW Sydney and ask for your honest replies as to whether I'm being sold down the river. Nett salary $66,500 before tax, includes company car with full private use. Take home $3600 per mth. Company paying for visa (457) and my flight only, they will also write a letter in support of my application for a PR after 2 yrs service. What do you think?

Rachall net salary is what you take home. 3600 x 12 = 43200. Cars are expensive in Australia, but I don't know how much that boosts your wage. Getting visa and flight paid sounds good, have they written the PR into your contract? Rent will be expensive too in Sydney...................

Just a few thoughts, I'm still looking before I leap so maybe not alot of help. Good luck though. What will you be managing? Are you a nurse rachall?

Hi All

As this is all about Nurses I'm going to detail my job offer as a Community Manager in SW Sydney and ask for your honest replies as to whether I'm being sold down the river. Nett salary $66,500 before tax, includes company car with full private use. Take home $3600 per mth. Company paying for visa (457) and my flight only, they will also write a letter in support of my application for a PR after 2 yrs service. What do you think?

Hi All

Hi rachall

Difficult to say really. As a nurse manager I would've expected you to be on more. Are you a qualified nurse? However they have thrown in a company car and are paying for your flights. Private companies seem to pay less too.

Hi All

Salary before tax is not "net" rachall., it's "gross". Also, your tax bill will increase further beyond personal weekly taxation due to your private use of the car. It would be deemed akin to the UK "payment in kind". The personal use would be assessed in monetary terms and you would also be taxed on that (at the end of the tax year). The salary does seem somewhat low for you to be comfortable, considering Sydney's living costs. I wouldn't say that you're being "sold down the river", just that Sydney is expensive.

Hi All

Thanks for the replies - my net salary (take home) is stated above, that's after the deductions for tax, car allowance, superannuation etc. The total gross remuneration package is $85,000 And yes I am a qualified nurse. Do you thnk it would pay to look around, but I don't really want to nurse in a hospital again and apparently community jobs with the local health authority are hard to come by. I currently work as a Practice Nurse in the UK, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of salary in these roles.

Hi All

Thanks for the replies - my net salary (take home) is stated above, that's after the deductions for tax, car allowance, superannuation etc. The total gross remuneration package is $85,000 And yes I am a qualified nurse. Do you thnk it would pay to look around, but I don't really want to nurse in a hospital again and apparently community jobs with the local health authority are hard to come by. I currently work as a Practice Nurse in the UK, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of salary in these roles.

Confirm that the gross given doesn't include superann of 9% despite them saying otherwise. Superann is mandatory for the employer to pay..............they have to pay 9%. Unfortunately, many employers in the private sector include this as part of the salary package to boost the figures for recruiting............not illegal, but unethical. Many 457 recruits are caught out by this..................9% of the figure quoted may be going to superann and not your salary.

Dear All,

You would probably be better looking at one of the Children's hospitals, which of course are in the major cities.

When I first came out here, there weren't any permanent jobs available in paediatrics, but I got a place in the casual pool at PMH in Perth and got loads of work. I got a permanent position there 6 months later.

Once you are in there you have a better chance to get a permanent position as they already know you, and you can keep your ear to the ground for jobs coming up, plus you get a chance to check out which wards you like the best.

Hi All

Hi Johndoe

Many thanks for that, have just looked at my salary breakdown and yes it does include 9% supperannuation coming in at a few $ short of $4000 !! Plus additional salary sacrafice (optional) at just over $3000 a total superannuation of $7018 !! What would you suggest as as you state this is not illegal, but clearly unfair!

Regards

Rachel

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some info without having to look through 200+ posts! I'm hoping to move to Perth on a PMV later this year. I retired from the NHS at 55 last year and would maybe like to do a couple of bank shifts when I get settled. My question is, do they have 'bank nurses' in Australia?

Hi Johndoe

Many thanks for that, have just looked at my salary breakdown and yes it does include 9% supperannuation coming in at a few $ short of $4000 !! Plus additional salary sacrafice (optional) at just over $3000 a total superannuation of $7018 !! What would you suggest as as you state this is not illegal, but clearly unfair!

Regards

Rachel

Nothing you can do about it, I'm afraid. If nothing else, it gives you an idea of how your prospective employer is unashamadely non-afraid to infer that they will be putting something into you pay packet that won't be there until you retire............draw your own conclusions. Salary sacrifice is what you decide to spend elsewhere (legislation permitted) that will be taken out of your salary pre tax and only taxed at 15%

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some info without having to look through 200+ posts! I'm hoping to move to Perth on a PMV later this year. I retired from the NHS at 55 last year and would maybe like to do a couple of bank shifts when I get settled. My question is, do they have 'bank nurses' in Australia?

Yes they do..................but at the risk of sounding abrupt......................if (by your own admission), you can't be @rsed looking through a thread that is a mine of information................what do you think entitles you to have others go out of their way to provide you with that info, and, (by your own admission again), if you can't be @arsed trawling this thread, does that really show your total commitment to getting to Oz? Have a rethink about how commited you are to getting yourself here.

WOW!!! I REALLY RATTLED YOUR CAGE DIDN'T I JOHNDOE?

I didn't say I couldn't be arsed to read through 200+ posts, and I didn't for one minute expect someone else to do it for me! I just asked a simple question, like hundreds, if not more, of people before me hoping to get an answer from someone who was a bank nurse, as this is a nurses thread.

Also, if you'd read my question properly before getting on your extremely high horse, you would have seen that I'm in the process of getting myself to Australia. How dare you tell me to rethink my commitment. I was pleased to have found this site, and have, up to now, found it very friendly and informative, I am however rethinking my first impressions as life is stressful enough without being attacked by a faceless troll. Maybe you should have have a rethink on your contribution to this site and if you can't be civil, be quiet!

WOW!!! I REALLY RATTLED YOUR CAGE DIDN'T I JOHNDOE?

No you didn't. I answered your question and offered you advice. If you don't like that advice, then fair enough, but as an employer, I would question your commitment if you were given a "hand out" but rather than read it, you posed a question that was covered in the hand out.

This is a "sticky" thread containing heaps of information pertaining to nursing, and the visa process. Read "as a whole" it would have answered your question and many more that you will likely have in the future as I have outlined the Qld version of "bank nursing' on a couple of occasions and my wife has even found jobs for some nurses interested in "bank" which here, is known as "pool". If those nurses hadn't availed themselves of all the info contained in these nigh on 300 pages, they likely would not have made contact with the folk who could help them.

When you see the same questions posed, time and time again, then it can get rather tiresome. On reflection, my post was abrupt and reads rather rude. It was late, I was tired, and brevity in posting doesn't become me, so my apologies

Hi

Yes they do have casual pool nurses. Look on some of the hospital website recruitment areas and you'll see they often recruit for these, sometimes recruitment is continuous. A number of nurses on here have done the same and found plenty of work.

You would probably be better looking at one of the Children's hospitals, which of course are in the major cities.

When I first came out here, there weren't any permanent jobs available in paediatrics, but I got a place in the casual pool at PMH in Perth and got loads of work. I got a permanent position there 6 months later.

Once you are in there you have a better chance to get a permanent position as they already know you, and you can keep your ear to the ground for jobs coming up, plus you get a chance to check out which wards you like the best.

Hi Yorkiegirl, thanks for your reply. Were you on a 457 visa and do you know if Hospitals are willing to sponsor a 457 visa for casual pool? Did you manage to get the equivalent to full time hours whilst working in the casual pool?

Are you still in Perth now? How do you enjoy it and how does it compare to working in British Paeds hospitals?

We have come to realise that we are likely to end up in one of the big cities having had a look around at jobs, or lack of in Paeds. All about compromise hey? We've been told that out there adult nurses can work on childrens wards meaning that Paeds roles are filled quite quickly... not sure how true this is...

Thanks again, Mat

Hi

Yes they do have casual pool nurses. Look on some of the hospital website recruitment areas and you'll see they often recruit for these, sometimes recruitment is continuous. A number of nurses on here have done the same and found plenty of work.

Thank you for your reply rachaelm0.

When you see the same questions posed, time and time again, then it can get rather tiresome. On reflection, my post was abrupt and reads rather rude. It was late, I was tired, and brevity in posting doesn't become me, so my apologies

Apology accepted

Hi Yorkiegirl, thanks for your reply. Were you on a 457 visa and do you know if Hospitals are willing to sponsor a 457 visa for casual pool? Did you manage to get the equivalent to full time hours whilst working in the casual pool?

Are you still in Perth now? How do you enjoy it and how does it compare to working in British Paeds hospitals?

We have come to realise that we are likely to end up in one of the big cities having had a look around at jobs, or lack of in Paeds. All about compromise hey? We've been told that out there adult nurses can work on childrens wards meaning that Paeds roles are filled quite quickly... not sure how true this is...

Thanks again, Mat

Hi Mat

I'm currently still in the UK and I don't know if you've tried the job sites but I've found a few really good ones for nurses. some of these tell you whether or not the employer will sponsor and others just email you job alerts based on your requirements.

Simplyhired.com.au - sends you job alerts

Skilledmigrantjobs.com - you can post a resume and they also rell you if the employer will sponsor

Seek.com.au - an OK site but mainly for agencies

Hope these will be of help to you, I found my sponsor through Skilled Migrant jobs and am currently in the process of applying for my 457.

Good luck

Rachel

Guest MrsMoose

Hi everyone!

My name is Julie-ann and I am a midwife. Myself, my hubby and 3 children aged 2,7 and 8 are currently planning our relocation to Oz. I have applied to AHPRA at the end of last week (lord knows how long that will take!)

We are renting out our UK home and already have someone lined up. I have applied for a couple of jobs and also sent my CV to a couple of places. We plan on moving as soon as all the relevant paperwork is sorted, hopefully within the next 3 months.

We have done a lot of research on the net and the places we would like to live are central coast (Gosford and Wyong areas) and Cairns ( Edmonton area). We would really appreciate any info or advice from any one living in those areas?! Are they as nice as they look? Any recommendations re schools??

I am not great at technology and I haven't joined anything like this before, so please be gentle with me!!

Thanx. :)

Guest melanie79

yeah bank nursing is casual pool in oz. when i was in oz in 2004/2005 i got plenty of work with casual pool and agency nursing too.

Guest Rachxx

Hi just thought id write in about the paeds rolls...I work as a paediatric nurse in Perth moved over from Manchester in jan. I think it's quite easy to get a paeds job your just better off going straight to the children's hospitals themselves which are in the cities as the paediatric units in general hospitals are less likely to employ paediatric nurses as they can't always relieve on adult units!!! All of the uk Paeds nurses I know when directly through the hospitals I.e the nurse recruitment manager and got their jobs that way. Hope this helps!

P.s I don't think hospitals do a 457 for casual pool (bank) but if you get state sponsored you may be ok and you can almost certainly get up to nearly full time hours if you want them if your in the bigger hospitals at least.

And as for working in the inner city hospitals then that doesn't mean you will be living in the city!!! It's not like being back in the uk you can live in nice suburbs close to the city.

If anyone has any questions if be happy to help!

Archived