Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A 176 would generally be faster, BUT it's definitely possible for the 175 to be processed sooner. Here's some basic, possibly outdated info (we started the process in 2010 and just arrived last month):

Get all the info together to have your credentials assessed by ANMC. At the time my wife applied, the IELTS was mandatory. Haven't read up on requirements since then. No biggie, the IELTS gave us some extra points for the 175 visa. Once the ANMC gives you your letter of eligibility (or whatever it's called), THEN you can apply for your 175 or 176 visa.

What some have done, is to get the ball rolling on the state sponsorship requirement for the 176. If they get the letter of sponsorship before they apply for a visa, then they go for the 176. If not, then they go for the 175 visa. If you apply for the 175 visa and later find out it's going to take forever, but 176s are getting processed quickly, you can convert your application to a 176. I don't know how to do this, but I've read where many have done just this.

Now...I'm not sure exactly how the 176s are processed, but the 175 visas are done in batches. We applied right after the last batch were done...so we waited nearly a year. People who applied about 9-10 months after we did, were lumped in the same batch...i.e. while we had about a year wait, they only waited a few months. So, depending on timing, the 175 might be faster (if you get in the end of a batch, you might get your 175 granted while you're still waiting for state sponsorship to qualify for the 176).

Just a thought.

Side note...my wife's a nurse in the US as well...she worked in Houston for a three month contract. Spring Branch Medical I think was the name.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful. How do I know about the batches they are working on? Do they let people know that it`s going to take long time? I might just go for 175 then since I need APHRA letter for the state sponsorship application and I am afraid that`s gonna take forever :frown:.

I work in Texas medical center, huge place full of hospitals. It`s good in terms of pay but I am ready for a lifestyle change:biggrin:.

Anybody here did the 175 to 176 conversion? Any tips?

Guest pandj6224

A quick question, aimed at any Nuses on the Gold Coast or anywhere in Queensland.

OH is a nurse since 88 Military and NHS respiritory medical since 2001 and we have our Visa's she now needs to approach AHPRA for registration, My question is if she came in at the starting wage for Qld Health currently 58k what would her take home wage be per month after tax etc, I've used the starting wage without any enhancements of shift allowances, that way anything else would be a bonus....

Any help greatfully appreciated..

Pat..

A quick question, aimed at any Nuses on the Gold Coast or anywhere in Queensland.

OH is a nurse since 88 Military and NHS respiritory medical since 2001 and we have our Visa's she now needs to approach AHPRA for registration, My question is if she came in at the starting wage for Qld Health currently 58k what would her take home wage be per month after tax etc, I've used the starting wage without any enhancements of shift allowances, that way anything else would be a bonus....

Any help greatfully appreciated..

Pat..

Almost impossible to give a precise answer due to so many variables.............. Will she pay the medicare levy or go private?...............will she make the minimum superann contribution of 2% or go 5%? etc I wouldn't view penalty payments as a "bonus" as they constitute a major part of your income. see here: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nursing/salary.asp

Also, with your wife's experience, she can negotiate to have (at least some of her ) NHS increments recognised so that she commences on a higher than 1st year salary which makes for a considerable increase above what you are quoting.

If you have kids and are PR, you will also be entitled to family tax benefit and perhaps rent rebate

Good luck

kev

Thank you so much! This is really helpful. How do I know about the batches they are working on? Do they let people know that it`s going to take long time? I might just go for 175 then since I need APHRA letter for the state sponsorship application and I am afraid that`s gonna take forever :frown:.

I work in Texas medical center, huge place full of hospitals. It`s good in terms of pay but I am ready for a lifestyle change:biggrin:.

Anybody here did the 175 to 176 conversion? Any tips?

There's an expat forum somewhere where people post their timelines, where they are in the process, etc. If you see a lot of 175s being granted, then you probably missed the window. And things are constantly changing, so what's true now may not be true when you finally apply. Case in point, when we started the journey (January 2010) we had plenty of points to get the 175 visa. Then they changed some rules, and we barely squeaked by. Then they suspended all 175 visa applications while they reworked some stuff, so there was a month or two that we weren't 100% sure if we'd still have enough points. Soon as they opened the applications again, we submitted ASAP.

With a 176, you'll need to check all of the state's requirements. The states we wanted to go to, there's no way we'd qualify (didn't have enough assets). Maybe they'd make an exception for a nurse if they're in high demand, I don't know.

I did a quick search, it looks like the rules may have changed. When we were applying, it was no problem to switch from a 175 to a 176...looks like that may no longer be the case: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/91207-convert-post-july-175-into-176-a.html . Looks like you might have to withdraw your 175 and submit a new 176 application (with no refund on the 175).

I dunno, if it were me, I might try to get everything in order for the 175 and 176. If all the paperwork is ready for the 175, and looks like it may take a while to get the state sponsorship for the 176, go ahead and apply for the 175. And if you get the sponsorship letter the day after your 175 app...come back here and chew out the guy who gave you bad advise :)

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info! It`s going to be EITHER 175 OR 176, seriously I don`t want to pay another fee:mad:.

When I look at the DIAC site they have the 175 and 176 in the same priority group but in fact it seems the 176 IS faster:confused:.

Yes, but what I meant was this. If you apply for the 175 near the end of a batch, it could only take a few months to process. I wouldn't count on that number, but it's possible. So what if you had all your paperwork ready to go for a 175, but were still waiting for the state sponsorship to get the 176? That could take months (or longer). That said...if you're positive you're going to want to stay in a certain state at least two years, and had everything ready to go for either a 175 or 176, I'd probably go for the 176. Then again...a 175 lets you change your mind as often as you want! Wife got her RN license in NT (just before the national scheme went into effect), was looking in QLD for a job...then ended up in VIC. Just sayin'!

Guest pandj6224
Almost impossible to give a precise answer due to so many variables.............. Will she pay the medicare levy or go private?...............will she make the minimum superann contribution of 2% or go 5%? etc I wouldn't view penalty payments as a "bonus" as they constitute a major part of your income. see here: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nursing/salary.asp

Also, with your wife's experience, she can negotiate to have (at least some of her ) NHS increments recognised so that she commences on a higher than 1st year salary which makes for a considerable increase above what you are quoting.

If you have kids and are PR, you will also be entitled to family tax benefit and perhaps rent rebate

Good luck

kev

Will definately make Superan contributions, our visa's are PR and we do have children, ages at coming out will be, 12 16 and 18... unsure about Rent rebate? Though I understand what a rebate is........... Is there a thread that may explain a little more on that, please forgive my ignorance..Medicare levvy or private, we did look at covering us all for private medical care but are open to suggestions from all in country, as it were...

Currently she pays into her NHS pension, about £170 a month and also a Stakeholder/Private pension, currently £90 a month so we see no reason why she couldn't pay probably the 5% once we are there.

Thanks for the help Kev...

Pat..

Will definately make Superan contributions, our visa's are PR and we do have children, ages at coming out will be, 12 16 and 18... unsure about Rent rebate? Though I understand what a rebate is........... Is there a thread that may explain a little more on that, please forgive my ignorance..Medicare levvy or private, we did look at covering us all for private medical care but are open to suggestions from all in country, as it were...

Currently she pays into her NHS pension, about £170 a month and also a Stakeholder/Private pension, currently £90 a month so we see no reason why she couldn't pay probably the 5% once we are there.

Thanks for the help Kev...

Pat..

Good that you're PR. Rent rebate is a scheme that reimburses some of what you pay in rent if your income is below a certain level ie, you get more than the base rate of family tax benefit see here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/rent_eligible.htm

Health cover is a matter of personal choice. My family is covered under the public medicare and my wife, working as she does in the puiblic health sector, wouldn't have it any other way. I've had a prostectomy, repaired hernia, quadruple by-pass............all under medicare and the care I received was 2nd to none. My daughter also had excellent care when giving birth to my two grandchildren. Dental bills are expensive though and some opt for private because of that.

I would recommend paying the 5% superann if you can, otherwise you will be underfunded for your retirement. You can also pay additional lump sums if you ever find yourself a bit 'flushed". You can also "salary sacrifice" more if you wish, or sacrifice it to a morgage or utility bills. This is where you nominate an amount to come out of your salary on a regular basis which will only be taxed at 15% eg If your fortnightly wage is $2000 and you sacrifice $400 to a mortgage or other nominated allowed expense that 400 will be taxed at 15% and you only pay your full tax rate on 1600 as opposed to 2000

good luck

kev

Guest robnnic

Hi,

You dont need the APHRA letter for your state sponsorship application, you need the ANMAC letter, which will be your skills assessment. Here is my timeline :

IELTS 14/05/11, Skills Assessment Sent 22/07/11, Skills assessment approved 06/09/11, SS applied 1/10/11 Doc's rec 11/10/11, Approved 4/11/11, Visa Lodged 14/11/2011, CO 23/11/11, AHPRA applied 7/12/11: Approved 18/1/12Medicals & PC done 5/12/11 :finalised 19/12/11...VISA GRANTED 5/1/12 jiggy.gifbiglaugh.gifchatterbox.gif......House on the market 19/1/12 : SSC 21/1/12cute.gif

Dont forget that the Visa application is changing in July...have a read and see how it impacts you.

good luck.x.

Hi,

You dont need the APHRA letter for your state sponsorship application, you need the ANMAC letter, which will be your skills assessment. Here is my timeline :

IELTS 14/05/11, Skills Assessment Sent 22/07/11, Skills assessment approved 06/09/11, SS applied 1/10/11 Doc's rec 11/10/11, Approved 4/11/11, Visa Lodged 14/11/2011, CO 23/11/11, AHPRA applied 7/12/11: Approved 18/1/12Medicals & PC done 5/12/11 :finalised 19/12/11...VISA GRANTED 5/1/12 jiggy.gifbiglaugh.gifchatterbox.gif......House on the market 19/1/12 : SSC 21/1/12cute.gif

Dont forget that the Visa application is changing in July...have a read and see how it impacts you.

good luck.x.

Thanks, I didn`t know that! I actually sent an email to Queensland and they said that a letter stating I am eligible for registration is OK, I understood that it`s from AHPRA. Maybe it`s different for another state?

Your timeline looks VERY encouraging !!!!

OK, so I just confirmed with the office in Queensland ( btw it`s wonderful how quickly they replied to my emails) and I need both :( the assessment PLUS the Letter of eligibility with APHRA to apply for SS there :(

Which state did you apply to robnnic?

Guest robnnic
OK, so I just confirmed with the office in Queensland ( btw it`s wonderful how quickly they replied to my emails) and I need both :( the assessment PLUS the Letter of eligibility with APHRA to apply for SS there :(

Which state did you apply to robnnic?

Oh gutted for you, I applied to South Australia. Fingers crossed for you.x.x.

Oh gutted for you, I applied to South Australia. Fingers crossed for you.x.x.

Thanks a lot. South Australia must be beautiful but not a real option for us ( especially when we have to stay for 2 years in the state). We have Queensland as # 1 and New South Wales as # 2, haven`t decided yet.

Hello everyone I'm a newbie here. I got a quiry to anyone who encountered this kind of situation that after completing all the requirements AHPRA then referred the assessment to NMBA. I'm a bit confused since all the requirements they need are all complete why refer my assessment to NMBA? Thanks.

Hi Angel 123,

NMBA does the skills assessment but my understanding is that you only have to do that if you apply for permanent residency. What kind of visa are you applying for?

They DO send documents from NMBA to APHRA when they are finished with the assessment ( you have to request it though). Was your registration granted?

Good luck :)

I realized that I won`t be able to apply before July 1st because IELTS has almost 3 months waiting time for available appointment (not only in Houston but also in Austin and San Antonio :( ). Without that I can`t do assessment and without assessment I can do pretty much nothing :(

I went there 2 days ago as they told me that February 18th was still available and waited with my baby for an hour only to be turned away :((( really frustrating......

Hi Angel 123,

NMBA does the skills assessment but my understanding is that you only have to do that if you apply for permanent residency. What kind of visa are you applying for?

They DO send documents from NMBA to APHRA when they are finished with the assessment ( you have to request it though). Was your registration granted?

Good luck :)

I realized that I won`t be able to apply before July 1st because IELTS has almost 3 months waiting time for available appointment (not only in Houston but also in Austin and San Antonio :( ). Without that I can`t do assessment and without assessment I can do pretty much nothing :(

I went there 2 days ago as they told me that February 18th was still available and waited with my baby for an hour only to be turned away :((( really frustrating......

Actually, I'm still waiting for my letter of eligibility from ahpra w/c is in final stage of assessment. hopefully by this coming week it will come out so that i can plan my nxt move. i got confused about ahpra referred my assessment to nmba but the ff day my case officer emailed me that my application is up for final assessment. I'm planning to apply through agency w/c my friend in perth recommended rather than direct. Thanks for the reply. God bless...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

im a qualified nurse with over 8 years experience. I intend to live in WA. So I think my take home pay for first level nurse 1.8 may be around $70,000 (could be very wrong though)

Does anyone know what the take home pay would be for this amount please.

Cheers

nik

Hi all,

im a qualified nurse with over 8 years experience. I intend to live in WA. So I think my take home pay for first level nurse 1.8 may be around $70,000 (could be very wrong though)

Does anyone know what the take home pay would be for this amount please.

Cheers

nik

Check the WA nursing EBA, enterprise bargaining agreemen

t and that will give you an idea of the pay scale, minus loading. Not sure about WA but here in QLD, I am level 1, or 1.4 and my basic without loading is $63,500. Hope this helps.

So, I am on 32.65 an hour. With late shifts and loading from weekend, my take home a fortnight is around $2400-2500 a fortnight

Check the WA nursing EBA, enterprise bargaining agreemen

t and that will give you an idea of the pay scale, minus loading. Not sure about WA but here in QLD, I am level 1, or 1.4 and my basic without loading is $63,500. Hope this helps.

So, I am on 32.65 an hour. With late shifts and loading from weekend, my take home a fortnight is around $2400-2500 a fortnight

That's really helpful. Just in the process of trying to work out take home too and it's difficult to judge. So shift allowances make a really big difference it seems. Do you get this salary sacrifice, or tax relief due to working for a church and charitable company? How does all that work? Thanks in advance!

Guest siforestiero

Hi everyone

We're at the (very) early stages of thinking about the move - but we're desperate to get over to Oz.

My wife is a Nursing Assistant in Mental Health with the NHS, although NA doesn't seem to be on the Skilled Lists so she's thinking of going to do her NVQ 2 & 3 (Health & Social Care) and move on to the Nursing Degree (plus a year's experience!) before we can apply.

Our original plan was to come over on the basis of my profession (I'm a secondary school teacher), but we've just found out that a technicality on the route of Teacher Training I took is going to stop me (gutted!).

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about how Nicola could speed up the process of getting over with her NA experience? (She has also worked as a domicillary nurse too and also in private Medium/High Secure Mental Health as an NA)

All thoughts/help greatly appreciated..... Thanks!

That's really helpful. Just in the process of trying to work out take home too and it's difficult to judge. So shift allowances make a really big difference it seems. Do you get this salary sacrifice, or tax relief due to working for a church and charitable company? How does all that work? Thanks in advance!

Salary sacrifice is a form of tax relief and is available to nurses (and other employees) in the public sector and negotiable in the private sector. You can salary sacrifice an amount to your mortgage or other allowable expense before you are taxed so eg if your gross is $2000 and you salary sacrifice $400 to your mortgage you pay the full rate of tax on only $1600 not $2000. The $400 you sacrificed is only taxed at the rate of 15%. If you sacrifice to say, superannuation, you will be paying 15% going in but when you draw your superann, it is not subject to tax.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leighton76

Hi All,

Apologies for infiltrating the nurse thread but i'm hoping that this is going to help give me some insight that I can't seem to find anywhere else.

My wife is currently an Operating Department Practitioner (ODP) in Manchester and we are looking at emigrating ASAP either under PR for my profession of on a 457 under hers.

As some/most of you are already working out there I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Anaesthetic Technician roles (as this is the only role she can do under her qualification).

Are these roles available generally?

What is the overall earning potential (Take home pay)?

Are any or your hospitals offering sponsorship for this role?

Do any Anaesthetic technician/theatre technicians get the opportunity to scrub as she's concerned that she would be de-skilling herself if only on anaesthetics?

Appreciate this is a shot in the dark but i'm drawing a blank

Thanks

Archived