Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest isis1mcc

Thanks Fluxsta but cant find it on my google search showing the one that was in 2007? Will try searching it again but thanks for that. Isis

Guest isis1mcc
Quick heads up all.....Queensland Health are coming to UK in February, Manchester, London and also Dublin. Google search for it....

Thanks I found it, the expo is in March in London, Manchester and Aberdeen. Cheers got tickets who knows might end up landing myself a job:smile:. Isis

Guest skeddock
Thanks I found it, the expo is in March in London, Manchester and Aberdeen. Cheers got tickets who knows might end up landing myself a job:smile:. Isis

Whats the info for the manchester one hun xx

They still haven't clarified yet as to whether they will sponsor in future in the SE Corner. My (2nd hand) info (which I never take as gospel) is that they will be on a drive to find health professionals to work in remote areas only, so I wouldn't be getting hopes up too quickly. I can tell you though, that they haven't even been able to place many of their new grads....................still, March isn't too far away so we shall know soon enough. I wish you all good luck :yes:

Guest skeddock

Hey guys can anyone reccomened a good and cheapish migration agency, been looking at migration bureau (who i have paid to do my assessment) and global visa and working in?? Are these any good and any advice on otehrs would eb great,thank you xx

Hey guys can anyone reccomened a good and cheapish migration agency, been looking at migration bureau (who i have paid to do my assessment) and global visa and working in?? Are these any good and any advice on otehrs would eb great,thank you xx

Hi, I personally have not used an agent, but the name of one that keeps popping up on here time and time again is Go Matilda

Guest isis1mcc
Whats the info for the manchester one hun xx

Hi there,

link: http:/www.expo-australia.com/

Look under sub title jobs and has a list of all the types of nurses they will be looking to recruit, think Government of Western Austalia will be there they are advertised to be there. Well good luck everyone going and thanks again Fluxsta for that info wouldnt have known otherwise. Isis

Guest isis1mcc
They still haven't clarified yet as to whether they will sponsor in future in the SE Corner. My (2nd hand) info (which I never take as gospel) is that they will be on a drive to find health professionals to work in remote areas only, so I wouldn't be getting hopes up too quickly. I can tell you though, that they haven't even been able to place many of their new grads....................still, March isn't too far away so we shall know soon enough. I wish you all good luck :yes:

Thanks yeah that does ring a bell not sure I've read a post here or whether Queensland health mentioned this and that sponsorship is being offered for the rural areas of Queensland. Brizzy is my first choice but willing to go to any other major city if thats where I am able to secure a job with a sponsorship visa.

Well I still havent secured myself a job yet (and damn I'm trying!) eligibity letter runs out in August so expo worth a try. Thanks guys for all the info has been invaluable. Isis

Guest isis1mcc
Quick heads up all.....Queensland Health are coming to UK in February, Manchester, London and also Dublin. Google search for it....

Hi there Fluxsta,

One last thing, wanted to ask how long it took for you to get you 457 visa after you secured a job? My eligibility letter runs out in August 2012. Also how long did it take to get your actual registration when you presented yourself at AHPRA offices? sorry for all the questions but want to know my time frames and see if I'm running out of time and need to consider other options (e.g Rural area - which is really my last resort) No harm to the outback but OH wouldnt get a job there and things would be really tight. Isis

Hi

My name is Sam, married 23yrs, I am a midwife (21yrs this yr!!) - we moved to Melbourne July 2011, we have 20yr old and 18yr old sons. Yeah escaped NHS - where I worked in UK has since closed:( We came on 457 visa and lodged our 856 employer sponsored nomination visa last week! No regrets on moving here. Lifestyle is what we came for and opportunites for our boys. Great to pick up my Hubby from work at 5pm and be on beach by 5.30pm, with picnic and beautiful sea to swim in! What can I say?

Sam

x

Guest jhutton

You are makimg me really jealouse but you have given me the inentive to keep going.I awas wrey of taking up 457 visa and with having to work full time but is it ok?

Hi Sam,

I am planning on moving to Sydney as have just been offered a job at Westmead Children's Hospital (am a paediatric nurse). Have to come on a 457 visa as not sponsoring on PR, although they may sponsor further down the line. I am a little worried as I don't want to just come out for 4 years, I really want PR. Can I ask I thought you had to work for 2 years before sponsorship for PR (856 visa) and I notice yours is just a few months. Also, do I need to redo the English exam (IELTS) and skills assessment for 856 visa, and how much does it cost? Tracey

Hi Sam,

I am planning on moving to Sydney as have just been offered a job at Westmead Children's Hospital (am a paediatric nurse). Have to come on a 457 visa as not sponsoring on PR, although they may sponsor further down the line. I am a little worried as I don't want to just come out for 4 years, I really want PR. Can I ask I thought you had to work for 2 years before sponsorship for PR (856 visa) and I notice yours is just a few months. Also, do I need to redo the English exam (IELTS) and skills assessment for 856 visa, and how much does it cost? Tracey

Hi Tracy, you can apply after three/six/twelve months after being on 457 visa if hospital is happy for PR sponsorship. It's not necessay to work for 2 years. If you check the website of Royal Prince Alfed Hospital one of the Truama centre and public hospital in Sydney (below link) you will find that nurses who are on 457 visa will be considered for PR visa after 3 months. So you can ask Westmead hopital after how many months they can sponsor you for PR visa. As you are AHPRA registered for Employee sponsored visa no need of skill assessment or IELTS.

http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/Nursing/default.htm

Hope that helps.

...Mansawant

Hi Sam,

Hi

The agency I was with said that the hospital 'trust' I was getting job with would sponsor me for permanent residency (employer sponsored nomination) after 6 months. I actually asked after 3 months and got the ball rolling (alot of the other UK mws had done the same) you can wait 2 yrs to do it yourselves but I am gonna be 45 this yr so wanted to do it sooner, also son going to Uni here and international fees are vv expensive, get domestic fees once on PR visa. Visa costs are $3500, plus medicals for my husband and sons $313 each.....but still cheaper than staying on temp 457 visa - and I can then reduce my hrs so dont have to work full time. I was definetly placed in a permanent job, 'cos yes - worried about the 4yrs - as sold house etc in UK and son going to Uni here.......and cost alot to get here...we brought all our furniture in container...No dont need to do IELTs as have UK passport so vocational english....I just put certified copies of my kids GCSE & A level english certificates with the application... (getting stuff certified here is free at any police station) Hope this helps

Hi,

I am new to the forum and I am actually not a Pom but I found so much usefull info here that I just had to join . I need some help of course;).

I am an RN with about 8 yrs experience, the last 4 years I`ve been working in the USA. We have 2 little kids 4 and 17 months. My husband is an RN too. We want to go to Australia on a permanent visa. I heard 176 takes less time than 175 so it seemed the way to go. However I found info that the state that sponsors you want nursing registration.

Anyone has experience that Letter of eligibility was enough for them or we would have to make a trip to AUS to actually get the registration?:arghh:

I haven`t even started yet, everything is so overwhelming:nah:.

Basically I have 2 ways to go:

1) IELTS - skills assessment -sponsorship application- visa application 176 and nursing registration

2) registration ( letter of eligibility) - modified assessment ( possible if I only have Letter of eligibility?) - visa application for 175 / don`t need IELTS bcs I have continuous paid employment history in USA and passed OET in the past/

Which one would you recommend ? Looking of course for the faster one:laugh:, also because my son will be 5 next year and we don`t want to switch schools when he just started.

Are any states processing applications faster than others (the AHPRA and state sponsorship)? Would really like to go to queensland but can do NSW as well :)

PLEEEEEEEASE help! All advice appreciated

Anyone has experience that Letter of eligibility was enough for them or we would have to make a trip to AUS to actually get the registration?:arghh:

PIO member Fluxsta only had a letter of eligibility on arrival here and secured a position with that. On arrival, he went into the APHRA offices with his letter and they registered him there and then.

good luck

Thanks Johndoe

I would actually rather not arrive till I get my visa :wink: ( 2 trips would be financial killer for us)

Do you know what kind of visa your friend had?

He had a 457................they offered him a job online before he had his Aphra registration..............arrived with just a letter of eligibilty

Which one would you recommend ? Looking of course for the faster one:laugh:, also because my son will be 5 next year and we don`t want to switch schools when he just started.

Are any states processing applications faster than others (the AHPRA and state sponsorship)? Would really like to go to queensland but can do NSW as well :)

PLEEEEEEEASE help! All advice appreciated

A 176 would generally be faster, BUT it's definitely possible for the 175 to be processed sooner. Here's some basic, possibly outdated info (we started the process in 2010 and just arrived last month):

Get all the info together to have your credentials assessed by ANMC. At the time my wife applied, the IELTS was mandatory. Haven't read up on requirements since then. No biggie, the IELTS gave us some extra points for the 175 visa. Once the ANMC gives you your letter of eligibility (or whatever it's called), THEN you can apply for your 175 or 176 visa.

What some have done, is to get the ball rolling on the state sponsorship requirement for the 176. If they get the letter of sponsorship before they apply for a visa, then they go for the 176. If not, then they go for the 175 visa. If you apply for the 175 visa and later find out it's going to take forever, but 176s are getting processed quickly, you can convert your application to a 176. I don't know how to do this, but I've read where many have done just this.

Now...I'm not sure exactly how the 176s are processed, but the 175 visas are done in batches. We applied right after the last batch were done...so we waited nearly a year. People who applied about 9-10 months after we did, were lumped in the same batch...i.e. while we had about a year wait, they only waited a few months. So, depending on timing, the 175 might be faster (if you get in the end of a batch, you might get your 175 granted while you're still waiting for state sponsorship to qualify for the 176).

Just a thought.

Side note...my wife's a nurse in the US as well...she worked in Houston for a three month contract. Spring Branch Medical I think was the name.

You are makimg me really jealouse but you have given me the inentive to keep going.I awas wrey of taking up 457 visa and with having to work full time but is it ok?

Hi

fulltime has been hard, and I didn't get a hol for 6 months, but since I am full time the hours are 8hr shifts which is 2hrs per week over so every 4th week you get an accrued day off so 3 days off and with nights (Do 4 one week and 3 the next as they tend to give you the extra day off then si breaks it up abit....) also where I am I still get paid the overtime for bank hols whether I work it or not!!! and it is double time...makes you make the most of time off too!..

Sam

Archived