Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

I'm interested to know why so many nurses choose to pursue a 457 route as opposed to a 175/6. Is it because the process is faster, you don't have enough points, job security, too old etc?????????

There are so many pitfalls with a 457 and so much in benefits denied on your arrival here, that I just don't grasp why, when work is practically assured for a PR, that folk take this route? Not criticisng your choices, just curious as to why you make those choices as we have helped so many nurses in the past who desperately wanted to get out of their sponsorship by aiding them get a public hopital take over their sponsorship. Unfortunately that avenue is now closed which makes a 457 even more precarious IMHO

kev

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there, i am a newly qualified adult nurse been offered a job via a 457 sponsorship in the theatres at the sir charles gairdner hospital in Perth. I am reading some of the posts and confused at all the visa talk.. i was just told by my employer a 457 would be the easiest route ... is this not the case? what kind of problems can occur? i am a single female and hoping to have my visa granted within the next month as i have now prioritised it with AHPRA.. any advice would be gratefully recieved :) x

Hi there, i am a newly qualified adult nurse been offered a job via a 457 sponsorship in the theatres at the sir charles gairdner hospital in Perth. I am reading some of the posts and confused at all the visa talk.. i was just told by my employer a 457 would be the easiest route ... is this not the case? what kind of problems can occur? i am a single female and hoping to have my visa granted within the next month as i have now prioritised it with AHPRA.. any advice would be gratefully recieved :) x

A 457 is the easiest route but has it's pitfalls. Are you tied to a contract? Are they allocating relocation costs to you? Will you have to pay this back if you don't hack the job or Australia generally?

As a single person, it is probably your best route as you have no dependants to worry about. If you were married with kids, and on a 457, you wouldn't be entitled to the benefits that those with PR get, such as rent rebate, family tax benefit etc. If you hated the job, you couldn't just "walk" with dependants to worry about.

As a newly qualified nurse, you don't have much option other than a 457 as you wouldn't qualify for a PR visa

Good luck

Guest Shelley Rose

Hey guys!!! Well I arrived 3 weeks ago to beautiful Australia and am now in Brisbane feeling very disheartened :( I am still waiting for my registration to be sorted out :( this process has now taken 8 months!!!!!!!! I have came on a 457 visa and have applied to agencies to find work as a nursing assistant whilst I wait for my registration but am not having any luck based on my visa!! They are reluctant to employ nurses on the 457 visa as they deem you almost un reliable. Becoming very worried if anyone can offer any advice that would be great :) also do I need to get my own police screening certificate? as in the UK your employers always does this but it seems different here? Cheers guys!!! xxx

Hey guys!!! Well I arrived 3 weeks ago to beautiful Australia and am now in Brisbane feeling very disheartened :( I am still waiting for my registration to be sorted out :( this process has now taken 8 months!!!!!!!! I have came on a 457 visa and have applied to agencies to find work as a nursing assistant whilst I wait for my registration but am not having any luck based on my visa!! They are reluctant to employ nurses on the 457 visa as they deem you almost un reliable. Becoming very worried if anyone can offer any advice that would be great :) also do I need to get my own police screening certificate? as in the UK your employers always does this but it seems different here? my facebook name is shelley rose cox if anyone wants to add me.. am on that more than this and would be good to chat to people relocating. Cheers guys!!! xxx

Whereabouts in brizzy are you Shelley? I'm not 100% certain but I don't think that you can find alternative employment other than by the employer sponsoring you, unless that employment takes over your sponsorship. Perhaps someone else can confirm?

D'OH! I meant you, kirstycar!!

I'm interested in the process, pay, etc...could we PM?

Guest Shelley Rose

Hey guys apologies I am on a 417 visa not quite sure why I wrote 457 probs through all the reading I have been doing on this forum lol!!! I actually came on a working visa in hope of getting sponsorship!! although finding it so difficult for people to take me serios on this visa and maybe wishing I hadnt run before I walked and maybe got a more permanent visa..... :( xx

Guest jhutton

I cant believe that finally the penny has dropped and my research has payed off.I agre with you about the 457 route.I have been offered one but am now applying down the 176 route.THE 457 ROUTE IS A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY AND YOU MAY GET ENT HOME AFTER 4 YEARS,Also it is a lot of upheaval to not be permanent and then you have to apply for permanent when you are there and will find it dificult to contact employers here,Also Australia appears to change their rules too easily for comfort.Saying that the 176 route is a lond tedious route and very expensive but it would have to be done any way at some point if you wish to be permanent.

I was supposed to go on a 457 but am now waiting for 176 which is ging to take ages.

It'll be worth the wait if only for the certainty that you can pick and choose your employer once you get here and also reap some financial benefits such as rent rebate. As you say, even on a 457 you're eventually going to have to go through the PR process anyway.

hi there Johndoe- wonder if you can help with a specific query please- so much conflicting information goes around!! my daughter is 2 years p/q & already employed by a hospital on a permanent contract in Oz- and on a 457 for the past year (previously WHV)- how & how soon to get PR?? I have read variously that nurses get priority processing- or that 1 year's p/q is enough to apply- or that 3 years p/q experience is necessary..(.this is what DIAC are saying)............ but surely if she has a permanent contract already she should be able to get PR ??? either by ENS or 175??? I'm really confused by this...does she really still have to get another full year's experience in Oz before she can apply? or does she fact that she has a permanent nursing contract equate to "exceptional circumstances?".... ( & if not what qualifies as such?) this is headache material trying to decipher all the info around so anyone with any accurate information- please help!!!!

Hi

In my opinion AHPRA has been a terrible move for nursing registration. There has already been a federal senate enquiry (the Australian upper house of parliament) into its appalling performance. As a NP working in Qld I know several nurses that have worked for quite some time in non-nursing jobs whilst AHPRA process registration, and have heard of others just giving up and returning to the UK. I would not advise anyone to arrive in Australia without having already secured their registration.

From the Senate report:

6.18 The committee recommends that AHPRA establish Key Performance Indicators in relation to the registration of overseas trained health practitioners and provide detailed information on this matter in its annual report.

The senate report can be read at:

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/fapa_ctte/health_practitioner_registration/report/index.htm

Regrettably both health and immigration are highly emotive political footballs in Australia. I say that as a now Australian citizen who arrived in the 1980s and loves Australia, but is saddened by what appears to me to be Australia's anti-immigration, verging on racist approach to new Australians. This has resulted in the rules changing at federal (visa structure and requirements), and state level (the state fund and manage acute health care) due to little more than a bad media report in my opinion.

Australia is a great place to live and work. But negotiating the move from the UK to Australia can be very hard work.

Chris

hi there Johndoe- wonder if you can help with a specific query please- so much conflicting information goes around!! my daughter is 2 years p/q & already employed by a hospital on a permanent contract in Oz- and on a 457 for the past year (previously WHV)- how & how soon to get PR?? I have read variously that nurses get priority processing- or that 1 year's p/q is enough to apply- or that 3 years p/q experience is necessary..(.this is what DIAC are saying)............ but surely if she has a permanent contract already she should be able to get PR ??? either by ENS or 175??? I'm really confused by this...does she really still have to get another full year's experience in Oz before she can apply? or does she fact that she has a permanent nursing contract equate to "exceptional circumstances?".... ( & if not what qualifies as such?) this is headache material trying to decipher all the info around so anyone with any accurate information- please help!!!!

I am not up to scratch with all the current requirements but my understanding is that the employer is not bound to offer PR help to a 457 employee, although most do. The requirement as I understand it is that you have worked in your profession within Australia for at least 2 years, the last year being with the employer who is sponsoring you for PR and they must show that you have the appropriate skills, qualifications and/or experience to fill the position. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/

Your daughter could pursue a 175 visa once she has been qualified for 2 years and worked for the last 12 months in nursing but would have to go offshore.

As I say, I am not conversant with current regs but am fully conversant with the pitfalls of a 457, my wife having helped several nurses leave their sponsor and gain employment in the public sector. Unfortunately, the public sector in the SE corner of Qld is not currently sponsoring despite the fact that in my wife's hospital, they are always on the look out for UK nurses so she can no longer do this. It is also much more difficult nowadays to even get an answer to an expression of interest unless you are actually in the country. This is fully understandable (at this end) because inquiries for positions from offshore nurses run into the thousands each year and many either do not eventually come ashore or simply go to another state/location when they do eventually arrive...............a lot of time wasted by admin/nums/managers on folk who never "materialise"

Hey guys!!! Well I arrived 3 weeks ago to beautiful Australia and am now in Brisbane feeling very disheartened :( I am still waiting for my registration to be sorted out :( this process has now taken 8 months!!!!!!!! I have came on a 457 visa and have applied to agencies to find work as a nursing assistant whilst I wait for my registration but am not having any luck based on my visa!! They are reluctant to employ nurses on the 457 visa as they deem you almost un reliable. Becoming very worried if anyone can offer any advice that would be great :) also do I need to get my own police screening certificate? as in the UK your employers always does this but it seems different here? Cheers guys!!! xxx

Shelly i am in Brisbane and my husband gareth works for a nursing recruitment agency. He works for nursing agency Australia, ring them on 1300139366 to see if they can help. Who sponsored you? Have you got a job sorted after you are registered? I joined the queensland nurses union and they sped up my registration when i got here as mine was taking so long!

good luck x

For us the 457 visa was the most suitable. I am aware there are increased risks and a loss of benefits initially on this visa but it gets us out there fairly quickly at much cheaper costs and is relatively straight forward. We can then live in Oz for a couple of years to decide if it's definitely the right move for us before we go down the permanent route.

So many families say it takes a good two years to decide if the move is really for you and your family and by then I will only have another year of working (in that time I can gather all the documents I need) and then we can apply for a perminant visa anyhow!

It isn't suitable for everyone but for us is relatively quick and easy route, if we decided its not for us we haven't wasted thousands of pounds on an unnecessary visa and if it is for us we can go down the long route of PR whilst living the dream in OZ instead of back here in dreary England! :)

For us the 457 visa was the most suitable. I am aware there are increased risks and a loss of benefits initially on this visa but it gets us out there fairly quickly at much cheaper costs and is relatively straight forward. We can then live in Oz for a couple of years to decide if it's definitely the right move for us before we go down the permanent route.

So many families say it takes a good two years to decide if the move is really for you and your family and by then I will only have another year of working (in that time I can gather all the documents I need) and then we can apply for a perminant visa anyhow!

It isn't suitable for everyone but for us is relatively quick and easy route, if we decided its not for us we haven't wasted thousands of pounds on an unnecessary visa and if it is for us we can go down the long route of PR whilst living the dream in OZ instead of back here in dreary England! :)

I'm glad that it's worked out for you, and it does for many, but I would question the "wasted thousands of pounds". The cost of a PR visa application and all that entails is nowhere near as much as the financial benefits that (say) a couple with 2 kids will reap from coming here as PR's. I'd also question the "easy" part. It isn't so easy if you find out that the job is not what you expected and you wish to leave, particularly if you have been given relocation expenses that you have to pay back. If you do leave your employment, you have only 28days to find another sponsor before you're booted out of the country.

As I say, I'm happy it's worked for you but we know of many nightmare scenarios that we've dealt with, particularly in the private sector and I think those looking at a 457 should beware of the chance that it could all go pearshape. There have been many posts on PIO of members who have found the job (their role) and the employer not what they professed to be when they got here.

OTOH, and on a brighter note, PIO member Fluxsta, who we helped out when he got here, has informed me that his 457 situation in the private nursing sector (mental health) is "bloody marvelous mate ...................we get morning and afternoon tea made for us and it's vol au vents, salmon and cucumber sarnies and fancy buns" :elvis: :biglaugh: Lucky bugger!

I think as long as you fully research a job and make sure it's both the right position and in the right location you can slim down the chances of falling into an awful job. However I am aware that until you actually start the job you never fully know what it will be like. I personally am in talks with two hospitals. One of which I have two friends who work in the same dept on 457 visas and are very happy and have been very well looked after, they are now being supported in applying for PR! I have had lots of chats with both department managers and we are both clear on expectations of both parties. We have also done a lot of research into the areas to ensure we will be happy living there too!

Personally we would never take on the tempting offer of relocation allowances as the thought of being financially tied to a hospital for several years is scarey! I am also a bit hesitant to go into the private sector for similar reason!

I think it would be silly to deny that there aren't risks attached to this visa but as long as you are fully aware of them and do your research properly into both the job and location you can reduce though risks quite heavily!

Fingers crossed it works for us!!!

Guest isis1mcc

Hi all,

another question to all the nurses that went to Oz on the 457 Visa. Sounds like many nurses went to Australia without their registrations, is it my understanding they didnt have their in-principle letter from AHPRA? Also those that went and presented their letters to the offices in Australia how long did it take for your actual registration to become effective? One agency that were advising me (not convinced she knew what she was talking about) told me it takes 3 to 4 weeks easy for you to get your registration following you presenting your in-principle letter at their offices. Is this true? She was advising me to go to Oz on a holiday visa then they would find me a job with a 457 sponsored visa's but had to have registration first. Ok 1. I wouldnt be able to activate my registration without a valid australian visa (working) hence my scepticism with her information. What have your experiences been?? Thanks for any input. Isis

I am not up to scratch with all the current requirements but my understanding is that the employer is not bound to offer PR help to a 457 employee, although most do. The requirement as I understand it is that you have worked in your profession within Australia for at least 2 years, the last year being with the employer who is sponsoring you for PR and they must show that you have the appropriate skills, qualifications and/or experience to fill the position. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/

Your daughter could pursue a 175 visa once she has been qualified for 2 years and worked for the last 12 months in nursing but would have to go offshore.

As I say, I am not conversant with current regs but am fully conversant with the pitfalls of a 457, my wife having helped several nurses leave their sponsor and gain employment in the public sector. Unfortunately, the public sector in the SE corner of Qld is not currently sponsoring despite the fact that in my wife's hospital, they are always on the look out for UK nurses so she can no longer do this. It is also much more difficult nowadays to even get an answer to an expression of interest unless you are actually in the country. This is fully understandable (at this end) because inquiries for positions from offshore nurses run into the thousands each year and many either do not eventually come ashore or simply go to another state/location when they do eventually arrive...............a lot of time wasted by admin/nums/managers on folk who never "materialise"

thanks for this- I should have clarified further- the employer has Offered the sponsorship- but they themselves seem very unclear about when they can apply it on her behalf- this is why I believe they could possibly go ahead now using the Decision Ready route with "special circumstances" (ie in this case reduced experience) since they obv dont want to lose her- anyone familiar with such a scenario????

Guest jhutton

Can you help me.If I am claiming points for work experience for over 8 years I believe you have to have worked more than 20. hours a week.Will they take in to account time spent on other studies and the fact I have been actuallu practicing as a nurse midwife for over 20 years.At some points I was working less than the 20 hours while I was doind my BSc etc.Can I add the hours spent doing this in.Also what if I am doing other courses like asthma diploma can I add these hour in.I want to go so much mow .

I'm interested to know why so many nurses choose to pursue a 457 route as opposed to a 175/6. Is it because the process is faster, you don't have enough points, job security, too old etc?????????

There are so many pitfalls with a 457 and so much in benefits denied on your arrival here, that I just don't grasp why, when work is practically assured for a PR, that folk take this route? Not criticisng your choices, just curious as to why you make those choices as we have helped so many nurses in the past who desperately wanted to get out of their sponsorship by aiding them get a public hopital take over their sponsorship. Unfortunately that avenue is now closed which makes a 457 even more precarious IMHO

kev

Oi Sausage boy.....where's my PR? This 457 lark.... He he

Archived