Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest Coxy04

Hi,

I'm Tania, A nurse, working in surgery, with 3 years Urology, plastics experience, plus 5 years acute medicine experience.

I am in a very fortunate position that i absolutely love my job, where i work and my colleagues are fantastic. We are moving to Victoria 2013 and are so excited about our move, but i have heard some negative things about nursing in Australia, so would be really interested in hearing from UK/Australian nurses on the differences, any challenges you have faced and really any general advice you can give me about finding a job, etc. Look forward to hearing from you all. Tania x:unsure:

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest heidi ho

think we should also have scots in oz forum guys what do you think!!? Yep, the uk and ireland are losing a lot of experienced nurses seeking better conditions, pay,work/life balance and can u blame us!........ I have 19 years qualified experience and am heading to perth end jan 2012!!! Anyone know if any pomz work in mt. lawley hosp? Is it a nice place to work? Worried about not fitting in. I am bringing my hubby and 3 young kidz on 457 visa.

Hi all. Got my Visa and Just got a Nursing Job J Yay !!! I now need to prove my vaccination / immunisation history. Can anyone give me any Tips on how and where to get hold of all this evidence. I’m 34 and have some documents already. I have booked an appointment with the travel nurse at my GP but (Bless the NHS) this will be a minimum of 2 weeks away.

Any advice and info would be much appreciated and I’m sure this is something all us Nurses will need to do so it will be a useful reference J

Thanks

Chris

Guest Shelley Rose

I must say tania that all sound so daunting :( I am dreading having to sit the exam truly am!!! Alls im thinking is what if I get asked a question or topic I have no clue about eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!! Do you actually get a choice hunny of topic etc?? Thanks xxxxxx

Shelley, You'll be fine. When i did my speaking exam, i didn't get a choice of topics...but it is all pretty much common sense. You don't need to be a leading authority on the subject, can't remember if i said, but my topic was healthy eating. He just asked me if i managed to eat a haelthy diet, this just lead on to me discussing what i consider to be healthy, why it's important, how i manage to get the family to eat healthily, etc....it was all just chat really. Just looking for you to be able to string sentences together and use decent English language. Then he asked me to talk for 3 minutes about a sport i am passionate about (i had 1 minute to prepare)...i do not have any sport i am passionate about so just had to add lib...i had just come back from holiday and tried parasailing, so i talked about this, how i felt about it before i went up, what it was like once up in air, etc. He tried to argue with me it wasn't a sport...but i just held my ground and said i considered it because people took part in it, it was physical activity, etc. he was fine with that.

The reading section, just requires you to read the passages properly and answer questions on it, some are multi choice some aren't. Writing section was asking you to write a letter arguing your opinion on transport and the effect on the environment, it's all your opionions, no right and wrong and just requires you to be able to argue a case, for and against, see the other side to your opinion etc. Doesn't have to be your true beliefs as long as you can show an argument. There is so much practice stuff online, so make use of it and you'll be fine. It was harder than i expected, but if you are reasonably good at english language, media stuff you'll be fine. Don't fret and keep calm. It's a very long day thougso be prepared for lots of waiting around! GOOD LUCK. When you planning heading out there and where are you heading to.

Hi all. Got my Visa and Just got a Nursing Job J Yay !!! I now need to prove my vaccination / immunisation history. Can anyone give me any Tips on how and where to get hold of all this evidence. I’m 34 and have some documents already. I have booked an appointment with the travel nurse at my GP but (Bless the NHS) this will be a minimum of 2 weeks away.

Any advice and info would be much appreciated and I’m sure this is something all us Nurses will need to do so it will be a useful reference J

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

Are you nursing at the moment? My occ. health dept. gave me a print out of all jabs I've had since joining the NHS 23 years ago! Worth asking your dept.

good luck.

Ann

Thanks

Chris

Just noticed that you are in Cardiff. We are in Brecon. Hoping to head out to QLD next year. Where are you heading to? Happy to meet up for a chat.

Hi Chris, did you get your job through an agentcy or direct to a hospital !!

chris

Thanks

Chris

Guest Shelley Rose

Hello there coxyo4 :) im another fellow cox! lol!! Thankyou for your reply its much appreciated really is :)

Im going on a working holiday visa initially in Jan 2012 to sydney firstly. I do not require to do the ielts with this visa but I will be wanting a PR at some point so I think am best getting this dreadful test out the way!!! I havent booked it yet and am guessing I should probably get online and see if theres some usual information and practice tests there to help me get a better understanding of whats going to take place on the day :( awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! xxx

Guest milan01

Hi

Iam currently working in Emergency and have been for last 14years. have just got 457 visa and hoping to move in Jan12 with 3 kids. Nervous and terrified and excited all at once. Shall be working in hosp in nsw. have heard that i'll need to pay for kids education whlist on 457, any ideas on how long u need to wait before to can apply for PR?

Hi

Iam currently working in Emergency and have been for last 14years. have just got 457 visa and hoping to move in Jan12 with 3 kids. Nervous and terrified and excited all at once. Shall be working in hosp in nsw. have heard that i'll need to pay for kids education whlist on 457, any ideas on how long u need to wait before to can apply for PR?

Hi,

Have you got this offer via agent or direct with hospital. Where r u heading in NSW. My wife is a nurse and we are hoping to get her job in Sydney.

Mansawant

Guest milan01

Hi

Direct with the hospital, applied online myself. Its in Wollongong Hospital.

Did get offered job in Sydney with an agency within a private hospital, but they seemed very pushy- the agency that is.

Any oncology nurses out there? I'm looking at Melbourne and would love to hear of where people like to work. Sunshine coast is my second choice but not sure what Oncology jobs would be available there?

Hi

Direct with the hospital, applied online myself. Its in Wollongong Hospital.

Did get offered job in Sydney with an agency within a private hospital, but they seemed very pushy- the agency that is.

So what u have decided private or public hospital....

Mansawant

I got this one by sending an expression of interest letter directly to the Nurse Manger. I also took it upon myself to ring the wards that I liked the look of and asked for a name and e mail address of the best person to send my EOI letter and CV to. You have to be proactive. You can also apply directly through the Government Health Service web sites for the state you want to live in. I found this worked too but it took much longer for the details to filter through and as your applying from overseas you need to get in there and speak to the right people.

Hi Chris, did you get your job through an agentcy or direct to a hospital !!

chris

Hi Guys,

I wonder if you could help me out with the process of moving over to join you??

I am a 29 year old student mental health nurse due to qualify in March 2013. I have been with my partner for 7 years, and he is an Aussie.

We fully intend to move back to Melbourne as soon as I qualify so I am starting to prepare the information gathering for visa applications, ANMC stuff and sending our cats over! Plus his extended visa runs out in June 2013 so we have to be gone by then~!

I am going to be applying for a de-facto visa and we will have no problems supplying all of the evidence needed so thats fine- although the cost of applying for it is a disgrace!!

So I know i need to register for a skills assessment with the ANMC but have no idea what this entails or how I go about it. Will my newly qualified self have any skills that can be assessed??

I know I need a medical too and have sorted the nearest place here to me in the UK so thats ok.

Do i need to sit the IELTS test?? Is this a requirement of the ANMC??

I hope to get all the information I need and start to get each done next year so as soon as December 2012 comes along I can start applying for jobs and fingers crossed get one to go over to in March once qualified!

Anyone who has emigrated and can help with my queries would be very kind.

Thanks guys

Gem xx:jiggy:

Guest tandcmum
Hi Guys,

I wonder if you could help me out with the process of moving over to join you??

I am a 29 year old student mental health nurse due to qualify in March 2013. I have been with my partner for 7 years, and he is an Aussie.

We fully intend to move back to Melbourne as soon as I qualify so I am starting to prepare the information gathering for visa applications, ANMC stuff and sending our cats over! Plus his extended visa runs out in June 2013 so we have to be gone by then~!

I am going to be applying for a de-facto visa and we will have no problems supplying all of the evidence needed so thats fine- although the cost of applying for it is a disgrace!!

So I know i need to register for a skills assessment with the ANMC but have no idea what this entails or how I go about it. Will my newly qualified self have any skills that can be assessed??

I know I need a medical too and have sorted the nearest place here to me in the UK so thats ok.

Do i need to sit the IELTS test?? Is this a requirement of the ANMC??

I hope to get all the information I need and start to get each done next year so as soon as December 2012 comes along I can start applying for jobs and fingers crossed get one to go over to in March once qualified!

Anyone who has emigrated and can help with my queries would be very kind.

Thanks guys

Gem xx:jiggy:

I'm not all that familar with de-facto visas but if your partner is an aussie and you are going over with him then you do not need to have you sklls assessed etc, all you will need to do is register with AHPRA and you can do this as a newly qualified nurse. It might be worth looking into the graduate nursing programmes so you can go over as soon as you qualify

I'm not all that familar with de-facto visas but if your partner is an aussie and you are going over with him then you do not need to have you sklls assessed etc, all you will need to do is register with AHPRA and you can do this as a newly qualified nurse. It might be worth looking into the graduate nursing programmes so you can go over as soon as you qualify

thank you so much! Do you know why I do not need to have my skills assessed?? im finding this to be a minefield!!

xx

Guest tandcmum
thank you so much! Do you know why I do not need to have my skills assessed?? im finding this to be a minefield!!

xx

the skills assessment is for the general skilled independednt visa, as you are not getting a visa based on your skills you do ot require it. AHPRA however do do sort of a skills assessment before registering you and require uni transcripts etc

the skills assessment is for the general skilled independednt visa, as you are not getting a visa based on your skills you do ot require it. AHPRA however do do sort of a skills assessment before registering you and require uni transcripts etc

aaah i see! makes sense!! fantastic news!! are you out in oz yourself?

thanks! x

Guest tandcmum
aaah i see! makes sense!! fantastic news!! are you out in oz yourself?

thanks! x

no not yet, i'm working on it, about to apply for my visa in next few weeks

Guest Wendyabrown

Hi, just to let you know, my Ahpra registration took just under 7 months. It was in the Sydney office which I believe is one of the busiest! I just phoned them every day in the last week before I got it. I think they got sick of me! I was in Australia at the time. All the best!

Hello Nurses

We are arriving in Sydney soon and my wife has already applied for an evening course for next year.

Certificate III Health Services Assistance.

It's 2 evenings a week and should take a year. I believe she might get some prior learning credit due to having childcare qualifications.

What are the employment prospects like for somebody once they have completed this course, or even during the course? Would further study be an idea after it is completed?

Cheers

Mark

Archived