Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

hi all, im currently trying to register with AHPRA (what a nightmare), i sent off for to the NMC for the aplication pack so that they can verify my qualifications, they sent this but also a letter saying:

'some overseas registrations authorites require a practitioner to hold effective registration with their original body, therefore, may i suggest you check with the overseas registration authority, with whom you are applying for registration, in order to ascertain whether effective registration in the UK is required. if you do require effective registration with the NMC then please contact us.

i dont suppose any of you know what effective registration is? its just im already registered with the NMC so i dont know what this means?! any help appreciated

Hi

Sorry I don't know what this is, I would get back in touch with the NMC and ask them to clarify for you. It sounds to me like whether you are actively on the register for the NMC or not, but if you are then i don't understand. Check your registration and ask them what they mean

Claire

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest philandmitch

HI just wondering if anyone can help. I'm a midwife with 5yrs experience and mulling over the idea of moving to Oz with hubby and 22month old daughter. I have been doing a bit of research and am confused as to whether i need to take both the IELT and the occupational english test (OET) or just IELT. I practice in rural wiltshire and gained my degree in the UK and was born and raised here. The wesite is confusing but looking at peoples posts here everyone just seems to have taken the IELT

Please Help

Philandmitch

Hi PhilandMitch, No, you just need to do either the IELTS or OET, it is much cheaper to do the IELTS exam, but this does appear harder. You may not need to do either for registration with AHPRA as long as you can provide evidence of being taught in English at secondary school and for your degree. You will need it for ANMAC skills assessment though depending on what visa you go for. Hope this helps. Tracey

Guest snowangel

hey guys i just wanted to know how you all went about getting jobs? im hoping to get sponsored on a 457 and have sent off my cv a week ago to the WA health dept as advertised in the rcn magazine but havent heard anything yet, what did everyone else do?

hey guys i just wanted to know how you all went about getting jobs? im hoping to get sponsored on a 457 and have sent off my cv a week ago to the WA health dept as advertised in the rcn magazine but havent heard anything yet, what did everyone else do?

I applied direct to the hospital and got mine that way, but maybe apply to a few nursing agencies that will find jobs for you, I know Geneva Health were very helpful to me as I consulted them at the same time. Good luck :cute:

Guest snowangel

Oh thankyou thats good, were u registered with ahpra before u applied for jobs? I think im going to try and get a job with a public hospital as it will work out for the best in the long run so will try and contact the hospitals directly.

HI just wondering if anyone can help. I'm a midwife with 5yrs experience and mulling over the idea of moving to Oz with hubby and 22month old daughter. I have been doing a bit of research and am confused as to whether i need to take both the IELT and the occupational english test (OET) or just IELT. I practice in rural wiltshire and gained my degree in the UK and was born and raised here. The wesite is confusing but looking at peoples posts here everyone just seems to have taken the IELT

Please Help

Philandmitch

Don't take it as gospel that you 'only have to prove that secondary ed was in english'. Call AHPRA and ask about IELTS. there is a lot of chinese whispers about it and only AHPRA themselves will give you accurate info. I took it and NEEDED it as AHPRA had told me. I also got letter from secondary school to say that ed was taught in english.

Get from the horses mouth..........it is too important

Oh thankyou thats good, were u registered with ahpra before u applied for jobs? I think im going to try and get a job with a public hospital as it will work out for the best in the long run so will try and contact the hospitals directly.

No I applied for jobs prior to applying to AHPRA (or roughly the same time). I now have a job offer and have signed contract, but still waiting for AHPRA registration

:biggrin:

hi all,can anyone help me out,just starting this proccess,do i do the IELTS exam first then aplly to ANMAC,then AHPRA???? also what is the situation with being an Intellectual Disability Nurse,is it recognised?im looking to move to Perth with OH and 14mnth old son on a176 WA SS visa.

thanks in advance,Karen

Guest Hannah539

Hi, I am new to this forum. This has probably been asked many times before so apologies!

I would like to move to Perth in the next 1 - 2 years. I have only just qualified with a Higher Education Diploma.

I would like to know whether AHPRA will register UK Diploma qualified nurses and whether there is a minimum work experience requirement, I'm sure I read 12 months somewhere...?.

I would be aiming to go over on a 457 if I can get sponsorship - does anyone know if there is a minimum work experience period that employers would expect before sponsoring?

Thanks

Hannah x

Hi, I am new to this forum. This has probably been asked many times before so apologies!

I would like to move to Perth in the next 1 - 2 years. I have only just qualified with a Higher Education Diploma.

I would like to know whether AHPRA will register UK Diploma qualified nurses and whether there is a minimum work experience requirement, I'm sure I read 12 months somewhere...?.

I would be aiming to go over on a 457 if I can get sponsorship - does anyone know if there is a minimum work experience period that employers would expect before sponsoring?

Thanks

Hannah x

see you posted on this thread as well:

Google is your friend!!

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Internationally-Qualified-Nurses-and-Midwives.aspx

good luck

:biggrin:

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone will know the answer to our question. My husband is a mental health nurse and we are hoping to apply for a 176 pr visa. We submitted our skills assessment to anmac before the 1st July changes and are now unsure if it is compulsory for us to get our employer references assessed also?? I believe this involves us paying a further 100 dollars, getting more specific references from employers and completing another form!!

We need the points awarded for overseas work experience but it is not clear if this is a requirement. If anyone has experienced this we would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Arthur and amanda

Guest Corky80
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone will know the answer to our question. My husband is a mental health nurse and we are hoping to apply for a 176 pr visa. We submitted our skills assessment to anmac before the 1st July changes and are now unsure if it is compulsory for us to get our employer references assessed also?? I believe this involves us paying a further 100 dollars, getting more specific references from employers and completing another form!!

We need the points awarded for overseas work experience but it is not clear if this is a requirement. If anyone has experienced this we would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Arthur and amanda

Hi Amanda & Arthur,

I too am applying for the 176 in the middle of just and due to the changes for the skills assessment being changed on the 1st July they i was contacted by our agent and informed about this letter of confirmation and the 100 dollar fee.

She left the decision up to me and did say because we applied before the 1st of july the DIAC may come back and request this letter when we actually apply for the 176 Visa, we decided to pay the fee and get the letter done with the assessment. We didn't want to get as far as the DIAC to be then sent back to the ANMAC for this letter as this would probably delay us further.

When I asked our agent she said her had 4 other nurses in a similar position and they too decided to pay the fee, itis completely up to yourselves but once the DIAC 176 application had been lodged they may ask you to go back to the ANMAC and request this letter.

The Letter provided assesses your skills and it is to say that you are competent as a nurse according to your qualification and references.According to hte agent she says The DIAC do not want to take responsibility for registrating and that they need confirmation that you are a nurse which is why they have now decided to include this in the DIAC application.

Hope this helps,

Orla:yes:

Hi Orla,

Many thanks for your reply, it is very helpful.

Yea I think it is best if we can get the references assessed aswell just incase the DIAC ask for it and like you say it will further delay things. The only problem we have got is that my husband has been employed by 4 different hospitals over the past 8 years so it means having to go back and ask them to do another reference which includes all the additional criteria:-( - god know how long this is going to take for them to send these to us!

We are waiting on the skills assessment before we can progress our state sponsership application - do you know Orla how long that ususally takes once they have the skills assessement? We have already submitted the state sponsership application but they have requested a copy of the skills assessment.

Also do you know how long it is taking these days to process a 176 visa application?

Thanks again for all your help.

Arthur & Amanda

Hi Amanda & Arthur,

I too am applying for the 176 in the middle of just and due to the changes for the skills assessment being changed on the 1st July they i was contacted by our agent and informed about this letter of confirmation and the 100 dollar fee.

She left the decision up to me and did say because we applied before the 1st of july the DIAC may come back and request this letter when we actually apply for the 176 Visa, we decided to pay the fee and get the letter done with the assessment. We didn't want to get as far as the DIAC to be then sent back to the ANMAC for this letter as this would probably delay us further.

When I asked our agent she said her had 4 other nurses in a similar position and they too decided to pay the fee, itis completely up to yourselves but once the DIAC 176 application had been lodged they may ask you to go back to the ANMAC and request this letter.

The Letter provided assesses your skills and it is to say that you are competent as a nurse according to your qualification and references.According to hte agent she says The DIAC do not want to take responsibility for registrating and that they need confirmation that you are a nurse which is why they have now decided to include this in the DIAC application.

Hope this helps,

Orla:yes:

My name is Julie and I am married with a 2 1/2 year old daughter. We live in Norfolk, Uk and are starting our application for a state sponsored 176 in January next year - aiming for Perth. My husband works in IT and has no degree but over 12 years experience. I am a nurse, qualified in 2007 and have previously been in the NHS but currently work at a nursing home as I found it more flexible regarding child care. I have a brother and his wife already in Perth, been there 4 years. We had a wonderful visit to them last year and it broke my heart to leave and come back to UK. Not just because I knew we would miss them, we felt it was where we should be and its never left our minds since.

How different is nursing out there to UK? Will I be frowned upon for working in care homes rather than nhs? Do you get good training if you take a role in the hospitals there? :)

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on registration. I'm an Australian, completed my nursing degree in Australia and was previously registered with the Nurses Board of South Australia to practice in South Australia. I have been registered with the NMC in the Uk since 1997 and worked in the Uk since 2002.

How hard is it going to be for me to register in Australia again and how do I go about this?

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Tracey

Guest tandcmum
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on registration. I'm an Australian, completed my nursing degree in Australia and was previously registered with the Nurses Board of South Australia to practice in South Australia. I have been registered with the NMC in the Uk since 1997 and worked in the Uk since 2002.

How hard is it going to be for me to register in Australia again and how do I go about this?

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Tracey

I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard seeings you are an Aus citizen, trained in Aus and have previously been registered there. I would think the only thing you might have to do is get a verification from the NMC to say you were registered there for that period and possibly prove recency of practice.

If you go onto the AHPRA website all the forms are there

Guest CarmKa

Hi,

Qualified in 1989 & have worked predominently in Orthopaedics since then.

Aged 45yrs - married with 3 kids (11yrs, 10yrs & 5yrs). My husband is a steel fixer, which is not on the required trade list. We would be heading Down Under on my qualifications.

I am lucky enough at the moment to work reduced hours while the kids are at school.

Healthscope in Newcastle but that post has since been filled. Very, very apprehensive about making the move.

Regarding the IELTS exam - I sent APHRA a letter from my secondary school stating that my education was thru english - they then asked for confirmation that my training was thru english. Luckily I had just sent off to An Bord Altranais for my certificate of good standing - so I phoned & asked them to add that my training was thru english & that we work thru the english medium here in Ireland. APHRA were happy with that - I was deemed eligible for registration as registered nurse on July 13th 2011.

I now have until July 13th 2012 to present myself in Melbourne to validate my australian registration!

Aaaaahhhhh!!!

Guest hanfarr

Hi,

I'm 21 and I qualified as an Learning disabilities nurse in March of this year, I am looking to go to aus for around 4 monthis in october. Im unsure if the RNLD qualification is recognised in Australia as in searches it does not come up.. and if so, what would I need to look for? as I'm only planning on going for 4 months I would happily do care assistant work also?? too confused! :confused:

Your qualification would come under 'Registered Nurse', Learning Disability is known as Intellectual Disability in OZ. Google Intellectual Disability services for the part of OZ you want to go to, will come back with a list of service providers or try 'Disability Services' under State Government sites.

Guest asaandanirish

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie on this site and am sooo glad I have come across it,

bothme and hubby are qualified nurses. he is Mental I am General. He has had a kinda/conditional job offer and we have started the process ....we are dying to move!!!

He is 32 , I am 28 and we have 2 kids, 4 yr old gilr and a 5month son.

i would love to check with everybody we are applying for the right things in the right way. we are applying through my husband and I will come on a spouce visa? and do all my nursing aprha stuff once we finally get there( which seems so far away!)....we are hoping to head to perth

we have sent off his application to aphra ( july 31st.... we have phoned to see if they have recieved the application -in perth, but they say they have recieved nothing yet, sent it signed buy ukmail cant tell us wether it got there or not till the 6th sep!!!is this normal??)

as soon as we get this registration we are going to apply for cridentialing acmhn and visa at the same time?

not sure where to start with the visas but just wanna get registration sorted first

does this sound like i am doing everything the right way round??

am i right in thinking we dont need to do skills assesment as he is being assessed by acmhn?

thank you thank you any advice welcome!!

Guest Hacking family

Hi, i sent my AHPRA via recorded delivery, it took 2 weeks to arrive in Perth and they e-mailed me to say they had received it. I am still waiting to find out if i am eligible for registration. Fingers crossed this will happen soon. Good luck with your move, Sarah x

Hi everyone I am a mental health nurse 3 years post reg acute nurse my questions are when do you send the letter to aphra to prove registration., when u have applied to aphra or before and do you need something of the uni to prove how your course was taught placements and academically, trained in uk. Am lucky in the fact aussie citizen so i.d is easy appreciate any help!!!!! sorry typing this in the dark with my baba sleeping.

Archived