Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi Tracey, thanks a lot for your reply. I had contacted the NMC several times, and kept getting told they could not give me on if I had lost the original! Can barely remember it! Then when I spoke to the woman in the ANMAC, she mentioned it again! So contacted the NMC again, and this time got a girl who said they could do it no problem! Don't get them in the NMC! So, it has now been sent on. Am really wishing the skills assessment would be completed, feels like an age since it was submitted. X

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hector vector
Hi Lauren,

I heard somewhere that you have to have a nursing degree to work as a nurse in OZ? Don't know if that is true or not, just what I was told. Maybe you need to have a nursing degree if you are using that job as an empoyed visa? Am sure you will find work i have not seen any adverts staing that you need so many years nurse experience.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Claire

Hi,

I'm an RN who worked out in WA a few years and I don't have a degree. This website is quite useful :

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/Nurses_ANC/257

hope this helps

Hey everybody! It really is like an AA meeting isn't it! This thread is such a great idea though! Anway, i'm Laura, i'm 23 from Newcastle, and me and my boyfriend have come to brisbane on a 457 visa. I'm working as a community nurse in disability and respite care here. We've been here for a year and i'm a little bit over my job, i'd love to find a new sponsor to take over the visa, so i'm searching for a more challenging and exciting job, where i can develop my skills! I've only been qualified 1.5 years tho so i'm struggling! But I'm sure one will turn up! :-)

Sue, do you mind if i ask how you went about getting the sponsorship with the princess alexandra hospital?

Lisa, are you over here already? Coz, if you are on a 457 visa your partner won't need a skills assessment, i think you do if you're going for PR tho.

Joanne, i don't suppose there are any positions for an RN going where you work?? I also live in west brisbane ;-)

Happy easter everyone!!! Laura xx.

Guest soulfly

Hi guys!

Im a graduate nurse from Ireland.

We nearly have the residence based on my husband's qualifications, but I would like to work as a nurse myself.

Where do I start? Who do I contact to register in NSW? What paperwork should I gather?

Is it hard to register?

Thanks in advance;)

Hi all

I have received my letter of eligibility from AHPRA and have until 3rd April 2012 to go to the office. I am in UK still and I am in a job which is only fixed term contract which will expire in Nov and I am sure it will not be renewed as the trust I work for our cutting 400 staff. Anyway I wanted some advice please? Do you think I would have more chance of getting a job in Perth if I went there on holiday for a few weeks and went to see hospitals, agencies face to face? I have applied for jobs online etc, but I have the feeling that seeing someone face to face is always better? I feel that I am just hanging around at the moment wasting time working in a job that I am not particularly happy in! Do you think I am being irrational thinking like this or should I just stick it out with my job and wait in the UK?

Guest BlondeRedHead

Hi all, so glad i found this forum and this thread.

I am a recently qualified general and childrens nurse from ireland and heading to perth 1st September. Heading there with my boyfriend who has family there and really cannot wait.....my problem is that i really want to work in paediatrics while im over there but im afraid i may not have the experience....will have 6months "registered" experience but have been working in a childrens hospital for 9 months and the 9 months previous to that was working as part of my intership.

what i want to know, would anyone know of the possibility of me working as a childrens nurse in a hospital in perth? or would i be better off doing agency?? will they recognise the experience iv had working since last may or does it have to be registerd experience?? and also am i better off registering as a nurse in australia before i head over? (im finding it difficult enough with all the paperwork)

I know there is alot of questions in there but anyone who has any advice and tips would be fantastic

Thanks a mill

Sarah

Guest smudgebum

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding the typical working hours of nurses in Australia. To be more precise I will be working as a MH nurse on a in patient acute unit contracted to 40 hours per week. I was wondering what are the typical shifts I could expect to work?

Any help would be great!

Guest michaelODP
Hello all, I am a critical care nurse (37),husband an ODP (41) we have two children 7 & 3 and hoping to move to a critical care post in Perth at sir charles gairdner hospital. We have just put our house on the market and the first viewer has offered the full asking price and so we are in shock! It's all going to happen very quickly now and I feel sick with excitment. We have been on holiday to Perth before on holiday which was a massive culture shock! So all being well we will be down under in a few weeks.

I also love everything here in the UK and I am not unhappy. However I do get fed up with long, cold dark winters and not being able to spend time outdoors. I am looking forward to some sunshine and in patricular we are looking forward to our sons health improving. Our son has very bad allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma and eczema. This dramatically inproved in Perth despite the fact it was there worst time of the year for hay fever.

Anyway Good Luck to all applying and to those already nursing over there let us all know what it's like.

Sarah x

Hi Bramble,

I noticed your post and signed up to the forum, to hopefully obtain some info. Myself and partner are at the very beginning of our journey..that is we havent even qualified to ODP's yet (!) But one day we're looking to move to Oz with this qualification.

I noticed that your partner is an ODP, and the post is dated from a couple of years back. Just wondered how your journey went, and if he managed to get properly recognised, and find a job as an ODP out there? Also, did he get a similar pay to what he may have got in the NHS. We're looking at more info which is seeming bleak for UK trained ODPs (lack of recognition, lack of vacancies, etc)

If this is truly the case, we're going to take nursing instead and pursue that as it seems to hold much better prospects.

Basically we're not tooo fussed on the role, just want to stand the best chance to getting out to Oz when the time comes. Part of my family, not immediate, lives out there, a few have dual citizenship, and I spent a year there when younger.

Any and all advice on gaining best possible medical qualifications would be so well received!! Adult nursing? Scrub Nurse? Anaesthetic Nurse ? Over the years ive been keeping an eye on skills in demand and the nurses always seem to be on there.

Will it be so much more difficult coming over as both ODPs?

I know this all varies so much on different factors, but appreciate any advice you may have

Thanks so much

All the best

Michael

Guest guest30038
Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding the typical working hours of nurses in Australia. To be more precise I will be working as a MH nurse on a in patient acute unit contracted to 40 hours per week. I was wondering what are the typical shifts I could expect to work?

Any help would be great!

Typically, in the public sector, 5 x 8hr shifts. As the working week is only 38hrs, you accumulate 2 hrs a week which gives you an ADO.........an extra day off, once a month. Shifts are flexible and you can mark on the "request roster" which days off you want, and this will be honoured whenever possible. Obviously, if too many put down for the same day off, some will dip out. The shifts are earlies, lates and nights and are not allocated on a weekly basis ie a week of earlies/lates/nights. An early can follow a late and nights are usually (at my wife's workplace) 2 or 3 a month.

Other hospitals (paricularly private) may not be as accommodating

kev

kev

Guest elnski

Hi All. Im grateful I found this website. Just got my registration with APHRA (after blood and sweat) last week and got a job offer from Healthscope's John Fawkener Hospital. Single mum with two daughters 11 and 13 and I am braving our way to Melbourne - the world's Most Liveable City (yeah!) So far I did not have any difficulties dealing with NMC here in London (thank god for that!) And I am just waiting for my 457 part of Visa application. Has anybody worked for Healthscope here, please? Do they ever give Salary Packaging, LAFHA any tax credit I can put my hands on so that I can afford living in Melboune in the nicest way ever... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest s4mmy

I have accepted a job offer at Mater Hospital in Brisbane.

I am going on a 457 visa I have my nomination number received that within 48 hours.

My medical is tomorrow and I will be applying for my 457 visa on line when I receive my police check.

Can I ask if anyone knows how long the 457 visas are taking.

I am also taking my dog over with me so need to plan around her

Thanks

Hi all,

Just wondering how much do you really get for working shifts. Trying to sort out the money side of things and on top of the basic roughly $54500 how much would I take home if I work a varied shift pattern, ie week of nights/days and a weekend.

I know this is a ramdom question but any figures to get me started?

Many thanks all

Tina, Family of Five.

Guest smudgebum

Just wanted to let people know that I had my APRHA registration back after it had been sent only the month prior. I had used an agency and they made sure all my paper work was up to scratch. Also my documents were sent to the NT branch so they may be quieter than the other branches and it came through very quickly. All I am waiting for now is my TRN number and police check! Really can't wat!

Guest guest30038
Hi all,

Just wondering how much do you really get for working shifts. Trying to sort out the money side of things and on top of the basic roughly $54500 how much would I take home if I work a varied shift pattern, ie week of nights/days and a weekend.

I know this is a ramdom question but any figures to get me started?

Many thanks all

Tina, Family of Five.

Shifts are different here. You don't get a week of earlies then a week of lates/nights, so it depends what you're rostered. You can have a late followed by an early depending on how accommodating your NUM and other staff are. Staff normally put in reequests for which days they want off and what shifts they want to work.

Look here for penalty payments in Qld.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nursing/salary.asp

If you are rostered for shift work, you will receive the following shift allowances in addition to your base rate of pay:

• 12.5 per cent for afternoon shifts

• 20 per cent for night shifts

• 50 per cent for Saturdays

• 75 per cent for Sundays

• 150 per cent for special Public Holidays - Easter Saturday and Labor Day

• 50 per cent for all other Public Holidays

• 100 per cent for Christmas Day, special loading

Additional financial benefits

• Competitive remuneration and conditions

• 38 hour week with overtime provisions (variable)

• Up to 12.75 per cent employer superannuation contribution

• 17.5 per cent annual leave loading (27.5 per cent) annual leave loading for shift workers)

• Access to salary packaging arrangements

• Additional incentives to work in rural and remote locations

• On call allowances (variable)

• Qualifications allowance of between 3.5 per cent and 5.5 per cent based on Nurse Grade 5 (pay point 7) for relevant continuing education credentials.

kev

Guest Jamie Hunter

Hi all,

I'm using my oh account to find out which hospitals in Brisbane are the nicest to work for? I'm a theatre nurse with 11 years experience in a variety of specialities. We are really looking forward to moving and I want to be sure that work life good too.

Is this roughly the same in private hospitals, they don't seems to publish pay rates?

Many thanks

Tina, Family of Five.

Shifts are different here. You don't get a week of earlies then a week of lates/nights, so it depends what you're rostered. You can have a late followed by an early depending on how accommodating your NUM and other staff are. Staff normally put in reequests for which days they want off and what shifts they want to work.

Look here for penalty payments in Qld.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nursing/salary.asp

If you are rostered for shift work, you will receive the following shift allowances in addition to your base rate of pay:

• 12.5 per cent for afternoon shifts
  • 20 per cent for night shifts
  • 50 per cent for Saturdays
  • 75 per cent for Sundays
  • 150 per cent for special Public Holidays - Easter Saturday and Labor Day
  • 50 per cent for all other Public Holidays
  • 100 per cent for Christmas Day, special loading

Additional financial benefits

• Competitive remuneration and conditions
  • 38 hour week with overtime provisions (variable)
  • Up to 12.75 per cent employer superannuation contribution
  • 17.5 per cent annual leave loading (27.5 per cent) annual leave loading for shift workers)
  • Access to salary packaging arrangements
  • Additional incentives to work in rural and remote locations
  • On call allowances (variable)
  • Qualifications allowance of between 3.5 per cent and 5.5 per cent based on Nurse Grade 5 (pay point 7) for relevant continuing education credentials.

kev

Guest leeds2

Not sure if anyone can help....I'm considering retraining to become a nurse but am wanting to migrate to Perth with my OH. Does anyone know about trainign to become a nurse out there on a student visa and what happens when studies are complete?

I am nearly 28 and got a cution when I was 19, basically wrong place wrong time, would this have an impact on my application to study nursing out there?

Guest guest30038
Is this roughly the same in private hospitals, they don't seems to publish pay rates?

Many thanks

Tina, Family of Five.

Sad to say.............no, in many cases. Just a couple of examples to illustrate that although there exists a minimum wage rate, some in the private sector do not pay above this, but to be fair, I also know of some nurses who are quite happy in the private sector despite me never hearing that any of them have a salary and conditions comparable to the public sector. I would hazard a guess ..........well in a couple of cases I know this to be true, that they're happy simply because they have no knowledge of the public sector wages and conditions. They get a 457 and from there on in, just plod on, obliviously happy that their conditions are better than the UK.

From QUT News

Thursday 12 May 2011

They deliver new life, care for the sick and injured, and are there at the very end.

Today marks International Nurses Day, a day to recognise these unsung heroes.

It was a day to reflect on a lifelong passion.

Bronwen Davie, Community Nurse: “I used to dress up in little nurses outfits and go around and doctor people.”

And a day to say thanks.

Lisa Fawcett, Acting Exec Director of Nursing Services: “We do get a lot of compliments from the people we look after.”

But the Queensland Nurses Union says some nurses just aren’t paid enough.

They’re concerned, saying nurses in the private sector, particularly in aged care, are being paid up to 40 per cent less than their public sector counterparts.

Des Elder, Assistant Sec of Qld Nurses Union: “Now I think that is an outrage and a shameful situation that needs to be rectified very quickly.”

And there's some (qualifioed nurses) working in aged care who are even below private sector salaries

From the QNU

Although they deliver critical health care to older Australians, TriCare nursing staff are paid much less than public sector nurses, private sector nurses, and many other nurses working in aged care.

While most Australian workers receive yearly pay rises, TriCare nurses haven’t received a payrise since July 2009.

That’s because TriCare refuses to pay its nurses a fair wage.

The TriCare enterprise agreement expired in September 2009, and negotiations for a new agreement have stalled.

TriCare has made numerous offers to their nursing staff – offers less than the federally-mandated minimum entitlement.

Each time, TriCare nurses said NO to the substandard offers, and insisted on further negotiations.

This silliness must stop. TriCare nurses deserve a wage offer which is acceptable SOON.

If TriCare nurses are good enough to care for our older Australians, they are good enough to be paid a fair wage.

Show your support for TriCare nurses - send an email in support of them to TriCare, or email the QNU and we will send you brochures to letterbox your neighbourhood block.

Guest tandcmum

from what i have seen private hospitals don't generally pay as well as public hospitals but the wages can stillbe very good. Iam waiting to hear of I'm being offered a job at a private hospital in Townsville and when asked what the wage would be i was told approx $35 per hour, compaing this with the QLD public rates it is not far behind. I think hospitals find that they need to comparable with salaries or they will not get nurses to work there when they could easily get a job at the public hospital down the road.

Just wanted to let people know that I had my APRHA registration back after it had been sent only the month prior. I had used an agency and they made sure all my paper work was up to scratch. Also my documents were sent to the NT branch so they may be quieter than the other branches and it came through very quickly. All I am waiting for now is my TRN number and police check! Really can't wat!

That's great news, we have sent our APHRA application off to NT about 2 weeks ago but haven't heard anything back from them yet. Can I just ask did they send you an aknowledgement e-mail or letter, and how quick did they take your payment?? Thanks Amanda & Arthur

Guest guest30038
from what i have seen private hospitals don't generally pay as well as public hospitals but the wages can stillbe very good. Iam waiting to hear of I'm being offered a job at a private hospital in Townsville and when asked what the wage would be i was told approx $35 per hour, compaing this with the QLD public rates it is not far behind. I think hospitals find that they need to comparable with salaries or they will not get nurses to work there when they could easily get a job at the public hospital down the road.

That's a fallacy, in Qld at least, in fact, just the opposite is creeping into the private sector. The reason for this is many Qld health public hospitals have ceased sponsoring. Migrant nurses who fear a lack of employment when arriving here and who may have once sought a 175/6 visa are now seeking sponsorship in increasing numbers and are turning to the private sector whereas they once approached the public sector. This is easily illustrated by the growing number of migrant staff of all nationalities, employed in the private sector.

Private health practice's main responsibility is to the shareholder, not the patients and they therefore seek to minimise costs. This can be achieved by tapping into the reserve of nurses seeking sponsorship, and as those nurses priority often lies in getting here by hook or by crook, they see primarily the 457 and not the wage and working conditions.

Private recruitment recognises this and will offer the lowest salaries that they think that they can get away with. As I have said before, I know some nurses who are satisfied with their role in the private sector, but I know far more who get out of it as soon as they can and into the public sector. I even know of some nurses, working in the same private hospital, in the same ward, employed in similar roles, who are on different salaries, as one was recruited earlier, before the "swing" to sponsorship and the recruiters now realise that they can get away with paying less.

As for your offer of "approx $35" I would ask for clarification that this is indeed an hourly rate as there are incidents where employers in the private sector have taken average earnings (including penalty shift payments) and divided this by 36 to arrive at the hourly rate. The hourly rate should be just that and not their average which includes an average of shift pay.

kev

Guest Jamie Hunter

if you are on a 457 visa will the public hospitals be happy to take it over or do you have to apply for residency first??? :confused:

Guest guest30038
if you are on a 457 visa will the public hospitals be happy to take it over or do you have to apply for residency first??? :confused:

Not in the cases that my wife has helped out in. A nurse that trained with my wife back in the UK was sponsored by the Mater Private and wanted out within 6 weeks (subsequently one of quite a few). My wife got her an interview with the Prince Charles, she was accepted, and that was the end of it. She recently applied for PR when her 2 years were up. As long as you are employed in the same profession as you were sponsored in, there seems to be no problem. That was a couple of years ago (when she left her original sponsor) and I'm not aware of any changes since.

kev

Guest tandcmum
That's a fallacy, in Qld at least, in fact, just the opposite is creeping into the private sector. The reason for this is many Qld health public hospitals have ceased sponsoring. Migrant nurses who fear a lack of employment when arriving here and who may have once sought a 175/6 visa are now seeking sponsorship in increasing numbers and are turning to the private sector whereas they once approached the public sector. This is easily illustrated by the growing number of migrant staff of all nationalities, employed in the private sector.

Private health practice's main responsibility is to the shareholder, not the patients and they therefore seek to minimise costs. This can be achieved by tapping into the reserve of nurses seeking sponsorship, and as those nurses priority often lies in getting here by hook or by crook, they see primarily the 457 and not the wage and working conditions.

Private recruitment recognises this and will offer the lowest salaries that they think that they can get away with. As I have said before, I know some nurses who are satisfied with their role in the private sector, but I know far more who get out of it as soon as they can and into the public sector. I even know of some nurses, working in the same private hospital, in the same ward, employed in similar roles, who are on different salaries, as one was recruited earlier, before the "swing" to sponsorship and the recruiters now realise that they can get away with paying less.

As for your offer of "approx $35" I would ask for clarification that this is indeed an hourly rate as there are incidents where employers in the private sector have taken average earnings (including penalty shift payments) and divided this by 36 to arrive at the hourly rate. The hourly rate should be just that and not their average which includes an average of shift pay.

kev

Don't worry, i shall be asking for confirmation of salary etc before i accept any job, after all you wouldn't move to a job down the road without knowing what you were going to get paid let alone the other side of the world. I will also be getting sponsored on a PR visa as opposed to 457 as i would prefer that security moving over with a family

Archived