where would you live in NSW apart from Sydney?

trabonita

As I edge towards sixty, I'm starting to think whether I shoud be moving up or down the coast for that 'Club 55+ Resort Lifestyle' (plenty of ads in The Senior I noticed today.) Actually, the only good reason to move would be to buy something cheaper and use the balance to fund my retirement. But I like living in the centre of Sydney where all my friends are and I'm not sure if could start again somewhere new.

I do like Port Macquarie though and it's got the things you need - hospital! Railway service to Sydney. I like some of those places down the coast like Batemans Bay and Merimbula but there's no railway line down there. Orange is OK but cold in winter.

There are nice places to live not too far from Sydney but you have to like commuting.

Rob Chorley

Newcastle, definitely Newcastle. There is a high speed train line into Sydney,

Just wanted say that the above is not strictly true; there is a train service from Newcastle to Sydney but it's not high speed - the journey takes between 2 hours 40 minutes and 3 hours, so commuting to Sydney isn't doable. It is cheap though, only $8.60 single.

Saying that I really like Newcastle and it's definitely worth considering. We're in Merewether, renting as buying here is out of our price range, but the lifestyle is fab, 5 mins walk to the closest beach, local shops including supermarket, cafes and restaurants. As for other suburbs to recommend, it's difficult as everyone's tastes are different; Newcastle East is very cool and changing fast, otherwise Tighes Hill and Maryville seem nice and a bit more affordable. There are lovely suburbs on the lake too.

Good luck with your research and move.