Is it just me or the way Aussie works

Hi All,

I am just writing this out of utter frustration. I am sitting at home and did not have any luck with a job for last 6 months. It makes me very frustrated and every single interview that I went, didnt work out and I have come into a point where I just feel like giving up my dream and leaving the country. Since I am a single mother it makes thing even harder as I need to work to support my sons needs. I recently got a temp job and initially they said it was for a period of a month but today I was told that the company no longer requires my work. i just cannot stop crying and I am thinking is it me or its just the way how things are in Aussie. I was on student visa about 10 years a go and during the period that I did my studies I managed to find temp jobs and was never faced issues like these. Can someone help me to figure out what is going wrong here? I am totally at a lost and I cannot think straight. I am into HR Field and is there anything that I can do differently in order to secure a job. Please help and any advice would be highly appreciated.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are getting interviews then you are obviously doing something right - there are plenty of people on here complaining that they don't even get that far. When you've been for an interview and you don't get the job do you ask for feedback? If not then make sure you ask for feedback as this might help with identifying where the issue is. If you are asking for feedback what kinds of things are you being told? Make sure you get feedback about your temp job as well. Can't really offer much more advice, but I hope you find something soon.

I am into HR Field and is there anything that I can do differently in order to secure a job. Please help and any advice would be highly appreciated.

You say "I am into HR Field". What sort of jobs specifically are you applying for?

You say "I am into HR Field". What sort of jobs specifically are you applying for?

I have got my skills assessed for HR Advisor. However, I apply for even jobs such as HR Assistant etc... Just the entry level roles... at the same time I do apply for HR Advisor roles as well. What I feel is since I do not have many australian work experience the best thing to do is to apply for entry level jobs first.

If you are getting interviews then you are obviously doing something right - there are plenty of people on here complaining that they don't even get that far. When you've been for an interview and you don't get the job do you ask for feedback? If not then make sure you ask for feedback as this might help with identifying where the issue is. If you are asking for feedback what kinds of things are you being told? Make sure you get feedback about your temp job as well. Can't really offer much more advice, but I hope you find something soon.

The validity of feedback depends on whether from a dedicated HR or management that conduct the interviews. Management feedback seldom worth toffee.

OK. You are probably up against a few UK people who also have no experience here and several people with local experience, so the odds are not so great. have you done some short courses to at least localize your knowledge? Have a look at places like the Australian Institute of Management or the Employers' Chamber of Commerce in your state and see what short courses they are offering on the Fair Work Act, unfair dismissal procedures etc so that you can improve and demonstrate your local knowledge.

New budgets kick in during July so people should be hiring.

Good luck - I appreciate it is frustrating - you just need a temp role to turn into permanent.

OK. You are probably up against a few UK people

I'm not so sure the OP is from the UK?

I am wondering if the OP's English is part of the problem. Certainly the written English is not to the standard which would be expected in an HR role. That's why I am curious whether she has had any sort of feedback.

I'm not so sure the OP is from the UK?

I am wondering if the OP's English is part of the problem. Certainly the written English is not to the standard which would be expected in an HR role. That's why I am curious whether she has had any sort of feedback.

Have to say I am wondering the same thing.

Hi, I am not from the UK so you guys are correct. Do you think that my english is not upto the standard? Your honest answer will be higly appreciated. Its just I know many who came from my country who has poor written english than me but doing very good jobs so I am just wondering what I do wrong to make it so difficult. To answer some of questions here, I always ask for feedback and most of the time what I get is ' i am over qualified for the job and there was someone who had more specific expereince etc'

so what am i to do

I doubt it is - I know that in financial services here many migrants whose English is not really ideal even work in communication and education - as long as their knowledge and experience is OK their employers don't seem to care that they can't really speak English idiomatically. Melbourne and Sydney are so cosmopolitan that wide levels of English standards are endemic and accepted (not sure where you are).

I have to deal with clients in HR and finance whose English is quite poor, often coupled with a strong accent. One very well known financial institution here has outsourced their payroll to Mumbai, and explaining complex legislation to them, with a time delay, is not easy...

Your English, while not perfect (from your posts above) seems fine enough to me.

Honestly it's a very tough question without actually meeting you. Although your Emglish is far better than a lot of English people I know, it is clear from your written work that its not 100 per cent, not sure if your oral English is better? Or even if that is the real issue. Maybe you may have to look at a different profession for a while to get some Aussie experience. I'm the polar opposite of you. 25 years experience in HR & employment law but no written qualifications in it, so no hope of work in that field . I'm working in a completely different lower paid job just to get some Aussie experience. It might be worth you doing the same for a while to get your foot in the door so to speak?

Hi, I am not from the UK so you guys are correct. Do you think that my english is not upto the standard? Your honest answer will be higly appreciated. Its just I know many who came from my country who has poor written english than me but doing very good jobs so I am just wondering what I do wrong to make it so difficult. To answer some of questions here, I always ask for feedback and most of the time what I get is ' i am over qualified for the job and there was someone who had more specific expereince etc'

so what am i to do

I didn't detect that you were not English from the first post, however on second reading, after it was pointed out by Skani, I could see that you probably were not a native by some of the sentence construction and words you used. But it is no bad English either. And I read a lot of posts from non-English in the immigration forum and you are way above the standard of many in your written word.

But how about orally? Do you speak fluently? Do you have a strong accent? If you think that you could be lacking in either of those areas there is only one thing to do and that is to speak to people as often as you can, strike up conversations at bus stops, with shop assistants, join classes or clubs where you will interact with other English speakers.

The feedback you have been getting is not worth dwelling on, those are just the stock answers when people cannot be bothered to be more constructive. You need to get an agent on your side, not only will they work for you but they also can give you more honest feedback.

I doubt it is - I know that in financial services here many migrants whose English is not really ideal even work in communication and education - as long as their knowledge and experience is OK their employers don't seem to care that they can't really speak English idiomatically. Melbourne and Sydney are so cosmopolitan that wide levels of English standards are endemic and accepted (not sure where you are).

I have to deal with clients in HR and finance whose English is quite poor, often coupled with a strong accent. One very well known financial institution here has outsourced their payroll to Mumbai, and explaining complex legislation to them, with a time delay, is not easy...

Your English, while not perfect (from your posts above) seems fine enough to me.

thanks for your prompt reply. Since my native language is not English I believe it is not upto the standard of a native speaker. However, I think my spoken English is better than written and I do not have a strong accent. I know some who do Business Development Managers role in Australia etc who has very poor written English. Anyway I am not trying to justify this, but I also personally do not thinking that is the case. I really hope that something will work out and I will be out of this misery soon.

I'd just like to add that I think your written English is absolutely fine. I wouldn't worry what a few people on here have said if they gave the impression its not up to scratch. Jeez, you should see some of the stuff written on here by native English speakers!

I didn't detect that you were not English from the first post, however on second reading, after it was pointed out by Skani, I could see that you probably were not a native by some of the sentence construction and words you used. But it is no bad English either. And I read a lot of posts from non-English in the immigration forum and you are way above the standard of many in your written word.

But how about orally? Do you speak fluently? Do you have a strong accent? If you think that you could be lacking in either of those areas there is only one thing to do and that is to speak to people as often as you can, strike up conversations at bus stops, with shop assistants, join classes or clubs where you will interact with other English speakers.

The feedback you have been getting is not worth dwelling on, those are just the stock answers when people cannot be bothered to be more constructive. You need to get an agent on your side, not only will they work for you but they also can give you more honest feedback.

Thanks Rupert and I know all what you tried to do is help. My spoken English is way better than written and some of Australians whom I meet in the train etc thinks I speak very good English and I do not have an accent. This is the biggest worry I have, as everywhere I go, (even the Job Agencies) they comment about how positive, cheerful and a calm personality that I have and I will be ideal for the job etc, and the moment I go for the interview with the employer I get rejected and someone else get the job. This is where I wonder where I am going wrong.

thanks for your prompt reply. Since my native language is not English I believe it is not upto the standard of a native speaker. However, I think my spoken English is better than written and I do not have a strong accent. I know some who do Business Development Managers role in Australia etc who has very poor written English. Anyway I am not trying to justify this, but I also personally do not thinking that is the case. I really hope that something will work out and I will be out of this misery soon.

Your written English is obviously fine because you are getting the interviews - so your applications must be good.

Hang in there! Are you living in a city where there are lots of jobs?

OP I can relate to your feelings of being utterly disheartened - it took me long time to find even short term temp work despite great qualifications and lots of experience. I think it's just the way it is- recruiters prefer candidates with "local experience" so even if you've got everything but the kitchen sink (and more!) and are way better than other candidates, if you don't have "local" experience it's really tough.

To get that crucial 'local' experience, are you able to volunteer somewhere for a short period? Or ask if you can work shadow someone for, say, a day a week for a month to be able to put that on your cv? Again, doing a couple of short courses, attending lectures etc is all good advice. Are there any relevant professional MeetUp or similar groups in your area? Go along!

Also the dreaded networking is really really important. I loathe doing it at the best of times, but when you've faced rejection after rejection and your confidence is low it's awful. However you have to do it!

Start off with linked in, make your profile really good, join a number of groups relevant to your area of work/ city and make sure you start contributing to discussions. There are often job boards within groups with vacancies that you don't see elsewhere. Identify some companies you might like to work for and ask a key person whether you might be able to take them for coffee for 15 mins one day to ask about how they got to that place in their career and whether they have any advice (people are generally flattered and love to talk about themselves). It might not result in anything straightaway but you never know what seed you might plant. Also, craft a really good cover letter and cv and send it to companies (and a named individual within that company, not just "HR") on spec- if they have anything coming up they'll already have your info on file.

I hope that helps- wishing you the best of luck

Also, whilst your written English is good (and i know its only an informal forum here, theres no need to take as much care as you would in a work situation its easy to be casual and sloppy here, so it might not reflect your 'actual' written english) I do think that it's not quite up to the standard I'd expect from a professional HR role. That's just my honest feedback, coming from someone who's had to use a second language before and knows how hard it is to do! You seem to have a few issues with tenses and use of singular/plurals which you might want to look at.

Have you had your cv/application forms/ cover letter proofread by a native speaker ? If not it might be worth doing just to make sure that that's not part of the reason you're not getting anywhere .

Edited by LizzyTinKnicks

Don't undermine yourself by thinking your English is anywhere near not good enough. Even if you had an accent as long as it was understandable so what. Sadly some irritants in the work place, usually below par in positions exceeding their capabilities , do resort to bullying folk, more in a subtle form these days owing to laws, but never the less can be undermining to the target. Which of course however nicely put,it is how it is meant to be.

I doubt in your case this should be the issue though. Keep your confidence up. I do fear though the workplace in the sense of jobs is going to be a mine field in the not too distant future.

Edited by flag of convenience