Time to plan my Great Escape

BJWiggan

I have been looking into working in Aus for a long time and am planning on starting my travels next May/June. Wondered if anyone who has done this before could offer me any advice on planning my trip as i dont want to miss anything out! Have been looking into the packages that http://www.ultimateoz.com offer and they look incredible. Will have around £7-8k to travel with and am looking to either study at some point or take employment in a field that will allow me to stay on a second working holiday visa (or forever lol).

Will be extremely appreciative for any help,

Thankyou,

Ben.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Ben welcome to the forum. I have moved your thread to the WHV/Backpacker section.

I don't know much about Ultimate Oz so had a look at what they offer for Cairns to be honest I don't think it's worth $399. They are offering 2 nights in a hostel which would cost you $50 ($25 pn) the shuttle is $12 to Gilligans a sim card is $2 from any shop, mail forwarding do you really need it? If so do it through the post office. The trip it looks like it's not with one of the big name tour operators. You could either hire a car or scooter and head off yourself or do one of the tours that does everything like this http://www.northernexperience.com.au/your-tour/tour-features.html for approx $110

Guest The Pom Queen
I did notice afterwards that it was in the wrong section, apologies!

Thankyou for the swift reply, i will look at the website :)

Ben

The website is just an example of a tour you can do, to be honest I wouldn't even bother looking at tours until you get here, most backpackers offer the tours at discounted rates. If you are trying to save money don't bother with the company and go it alone.

Guest The Pom Queen
The Northern Experience does look interesting but i was hoping to start in Sydney.

I was using it as an example in breaking down the costs to try and explain that I would avoid Ultimate Oz and do it yourself. When are you heading over?

Oh okay i see where your coming from now. Hoping to come over next May/June with a view to work and then study to allow me to stay longer. Although my initial worries are organizing accommodation and getting my first job. What sort of accommodation would i be looking at to start with?

Guest The Pom Queen
Oh okay i see where your coming from now. Hoping to come over next May/June with a view to work and then study to allow me to stay longer. Although my initial worries are organizing accommodation and getting my first job. What sort of accommodation would i be looking at to start with?

Have a look over on the Sydney Forum http://www.sydneyforum.com if that's where you are starting. You could look at a hostel around $25 per night or you could look at a house share usually between $120 - $150 per week. Accommodation is the easiest thing to sort. Are you looking at staying in Sydney or traveling around, if traveling where do you want to see whilst here?

Ive heard of those groups but this one was called introoz or something like that. Annagilda went on one (i think). They seem to have good reviews but if your trying to save money then it makes sense to DIY. The good thing would be that you'd be in a group of backpackers. It just depends on what you want

Ive heard of those groups but this one was called introoz or something like that. Annagilda went on one (i think). They seem to have good reviews but if your trying to save money then it makes sense to DIY. The good thing would be that you'd be in a group of backpackers. It just depends on what you want

Yeah the social aspect was what attracted my attention but its a lot of money. Im sure id meet plenty of like minded people through working and at hostels etc

My advice would be to book nothing apart from your first week in a hostel. Go with the flow. There are many thousands of backpackers doing like wise. Not exactly unchartered ground. You will meet loads of folk from all over. You can perhaps share driving/expenses when time to head north. The backpacker scene is vibrant and you'll soon learn the latest and what not to and where to go to sort of thing.

My advice would be to book nothing apart from your first week in a hostel. Go with the flow. There are many thousands of backpackers doing like wise. Not exactly unchartered ground. You will meet loads of folk from all over. You can perhaps share driving/expenses when time to head north. The backpacker scene is vibrant and you'll soon learn the latest and what not to and where to go to sort of thing.

yeah that seems to be the most popular route to take! just a scary prospect going all the way to aus and having no idea whats gonna happen next!

I've heard OzIntro is good - for meeting people anyway! Not heard of the one you've posted about. I would go it alone, everything is pretty easy to set up yourself, you just need an address you're gonna stay at for a few weeks to get your TFN and banking stuff. But if you put yourself out there you can equally meet as many people in hostels or out and about, just depends on the time and place! If you plan on driving across i'd buy a tent and stay in vanparks, tent for the cooler months or a cheap cabin for the air con in warmer months. That's what we did. If not there is plenty of hostels, they're quite cheap especially if you stay in a dorm room.

I've heard OzIntro is good - for meeting people anyway! Not heard of the one you've posted about. I would go it alone, everything is pretty easy to set up yourself, you just need an address you're gonna stay at for a few weeks to get your TFN and banking stuff. But if you put yourself out there you can equally meet as many people in hostels or out and about, just depends on the time and place! If you plan on driving across i'd buy a tent and stay in vanparks, tent for the cooler months or a cheap cabin for the air con in warmer months. That's what we did. If not there is plenty of hostels, they're quite cheap especially if you stay in a dorm room.

yeah im pretty outgoing so I cant see meeting people being a problem, not entirely sure on how im planning on travelling the coast yet need to look into it a bit more.

I would travel by bus, or by car. Car is definitely the best way to see everything. Don't plan too much though just have a rough plan of what expenses you're gonna have, and a list of things you want to do. I would also scan, upload and email your CV, contact details, visa number, phone numbers etc to your own email address and also have it written down in a pocket diary. Can never be too careful if your things go missing.

I would travel by bus, or by car. Car is definitely the best way to see everything. Don't plan too much though just have a rough plan of what expenses you're gonna have, and a list of things you want to do. I would also scan, upload and email your CV, contact details, visa number, phone numbers etc to your own email address and also have it written down in a pocket diary. Can never be too careful if your things go missing.

yeah that sounds like a brilliant idea as im useless with possesions! From what I can gather from reading on here I just need to go with the flow when I get there!

Get a hard suitcase and a decent lock too - things DO get thieved in hostels. Sleep with your passport, phone and wallet under your pillow. I'm not being paranoid but these things happen every day. If you want a read of my travels let me know and i'll give you the link. Might give you an idea of where to go!

Get a hard suitcase and a decent lock too - things DO get thieved in hostels. Sleep with your passport, phone and wallet under your pillow. I'm not being paranoid but these things happen every day. If you want a read of my travels let me know and i'll give you the link. Might give you an idea of where to go!

I know what you mean, im pretty paranoid too, cant trust anyone! Yeah would be nice to get more of an idea, thankyou :)

I made the mistake of leaving my wallet just ontop of my bag and it getting emptied, passport and phone no dramas with. most hostels have lockers you can put your stuff in. I don't think I met more than a handful of people that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them. Most of the people you meet are in the same boat as you and really trusting I found!

With regards to the "experience tour thingys" I met a few people who had problems with bank cards and stuff like that when they went through these companies. Setting up a TFN is a piece of piss go there, fill out a form on their computers and just get it sent to the post office and you collect it 2 weeks later. Easy. And banking you can set up before you get there.

I found that pretty much most hostels do offers when booking tours and stuff from them, we got a 10% discount on our great barrier reef trip when we booked it through the hostel which was good.