Can't decide. Stay in England or go to Australia on Working holiday Visa?

johnlondon

Guest chris955

I would say go BUT bear in mind the economy in Australia has taken a significant downturn and jobs other than part time are getting harder to find. You only live once so give it a go.

Guest Guest 47403

Go for it mate the Oz economy is considerably stronger than the UK economy I,ve not heard of anyone on a whv struggling go enjoy your year.

I am going to vote the opposite way. So you have struggled to get a foot on the career ladder, you finally do and then you pack it in after a few months to go bumming around Australia? Well that is what it will look like on your CV, so if you are at all serious about a career I think you need to stay at the good job, you might make it even harder to find something else when you get back.

So, if you are serious about the career, knuckle down to it and maybe in a few years time you would even qualify for skilled migration. My OH gave up an opportunity for a WHV when they met me just weeks before (at age 30), but eight year later and we are on track for Australian citizenship. The twists and turns of life, this is NOT your last chance of going to Australia.

If you are not particularly fussed about career, and no reason why you should be, then go for it.

Edited by Rupert

I'm inclined to agree with Rupert. If you have your foot on a career ladder at last then hang on to it - perhaps take a career break if you can and are desperate to go but otherwise there does come a knuckle down time in life and maybe that's the point you are at. Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans!

I'm inclined to say stay, too.

Or at least don't make any decisions now. Work at your job as if you're going to be there long term, and see how you feel closer to the time. You'd be better placed to make the right decision after you've been in the job for a while anyway, and who knows, maybe your employer will let you take the career break and come back to the same job. I don't think you need to worry too much right now about what to do...you'll know when the time comes.

Go for it mate the Oz economy is considerably stronger than the UK economy I,ve not heard of anyone on a whv struggling go enjoy your year.

at new year, we were surrounded by back packers, many of whom were going back to the UK early due to the expense and lack of work. Only you really know the answer OP, I would say, make sure you have some savings just in case you can't get work straight away. Good luck! :-)

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes this is exactly it, sounds like it is becoming harder to find work out there and Australia is nearing recession? The last thing I want to do is go over there and struggle and spend all my money within 5 months and then come home lol

Hey.

I already have a working holiday visa which I got in March so I have until March 2014 to go. From April 2012 to April 2013 I was out of work here in England and the situation was really annoying me. I know going to Australia wouldn't guarantee me work but I was planning to go Australia last month (may 2013) to travel around and work and just to get away from England for a bit. But then in April 2013 I got a job here in London so going to Australia was put on hold. I now have the chance to go to Australia with friends at the end of 2013 who are going for a year.

Now I have a decision to make. I'm 29 so this will probably be my last chance to go with friends to Australia on a working holiday visa. Do I stay in London and work and build up a few years experience or shall I take a risk and quit my job at the end of the year and go to Australia with friends for a year? Who knows I might find a decent job in Australia or maybe I won't and will only find part time work here and there. I'm sure i'll have a great time but if I do come back to England after a year in Australia i'll be out of work again, although it might be easier for me to get to work again in England with the experience I'm gaining now in London.

At the moment I have decided I am going to Australia at the end of the year but I sometimes think to myself is it a good idea leaving my job when its a good job and the economy in England is rubbish and jobs are hard to find.

I'm just wondering if there are people here who have been in a similar situation? What did you do and did it turn out well? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

The personal & spiritual growth you will gain from a working holiday far outweighs any Job you have in the UK. Get on the Plane. GO live your life !!

I am a bit biased as the year of my WHV was probably just about the best year of my life - certainly up to that point. It was an incredible time and it made me realise some really important things about myself and what I was capable of on my own. And it confirmed that Australia was where I wanted to be - only took another 15 years to come back to live!

So much has happened in the last little while to make me realise that, yes I'm aware of the cliché, but life is short. Not sure of your situation but if you settle down and have a family, all this stuff can become a lot more difficult.

Go with your gut feeling - whichever way that lies. Will you regret giving up Australia or the career ladder? Only you know the answer to that.

The personal & spiritual growth you will gain from a working holiday far outweighs any Job you have in the UK. Get on the Plane. GO live your life !!

Spiritual growth in Oz? Are you sure? Unless of course you refer to the heavy boozing and whoring all to common with numerous backpackers. Good fun though when all said and done.

In answer to OP's question, I know the direction I would have taken. That would have been travel every time. Times have moved on I guess and the world is a far more serious place. Chances are though if the OZ travel is not undertaken now it may never materialise. Even if the OP did one day come as an immigrant it wouldn't be the same.

Not forgetting all the possibilities to travel to en route to Australia.

Edited by flag of convenience

Guest chris955

Yes that makes sense, with the economy faltering and work being that much harder to find you would have to make sure you had a bit behind you as it isnt what it used to be.

at new year, we were surrounded by back packers, many of whom were going back to the UK early due to the expense and lack of work. Only you really know the answer OP, I would say, make sure you have some savings just in case you can't get work straight away. Good luck! :-)

even though I said I heard backpackers were having issues work wise/ the expense of things, I also had the best time of my life travelling oz/ the world! It was 13 of so years ago and things were def cheaper, but had the best time! I got the travelling bug from an early age, so I did miss out on buying a house when they were cheap as I was focused on travelling. So whilst ii am saying its harder to find work, more expensive..etc etc...it was a fab time of my life!

Are your friends worried about their jobs when they return to the UK?How are they feeling about all this?I think I'd got for the career break option if its available to you.It'll give you the security you'll appreciate,and if you start running out of money whilst away,you can always come back earlier.

Are you currently working in an area that will qualify you for skilled migration? If so, I'd build up some experience and go later. Otherwise you could plan on the basis of there being little work available. I'm currently in the UK working. My family are in Oz. I struggled to get IT work in Brisbane - seems like lots of opportunities for skilled workers in SE UK. Protectionism could get a bit ugly in OZ as unemployment climbs. It's a beautiful country to travel in if you can afford it, and 5 years ago I'd say jump on the plane, but if you do, make sure you have plenty of $$ saved up!

Are your friends worried about their jobs when they return to the UK?How are they feeling about all this?I think I'd got for the career break option if its available to you.It'll give you the security you'll appreciate,and if you start running out of money whilst away,you can always come back earlier.

As they have only been working a couple of months, the career break option is unlikely to be there, normally requires some tenure.

Additionally when you say bring lots of money, do any of you have an estimate of what would be a SAFE amount to bring? £3000? £4000? £5000? £6000? £7000? £10000?

I intend to be out there a year but we will try and find work so our money doesn't run out.

It would be good to hear from anyone who has been to Australia recently who went for a year and how much money you bought and how long it lasted?