barnabus72

Is there anything you wish you had stocked up on before you left the UK?

Hi, we are leaving for Brisbane in August with our two small children and I was just wondering is there anything that is majorly expensive that we should really think about stocking up on before we get there, such as clothes ?

Guest Ptp113
Hi, we are leaving for Brisbane in August with our two small children and I was just wondering is there anything that is majorly expensive that we should really think about stocking up on before we get there, such as clothes ?

Everything. Most poms can't afford Australia and should stay home....

I have been stocking up on clothes, only to be told how cheap they are by my mother in law. So I would say you're good for most stuff.

309/100 visa lodged 04/02/2013, living in Aus since 01/07/2013, visa granted 02/09/2013!

bedding is expensive ... hay fever tablets ... and I was not impressed with the quality of the clothes ...

Whatever you stock up on will run out anyway.

And there are stores here to buy things too. Embrace the change.

However, having my time again.........

I would buy some baby bundles of clothes off eBay for the next size or two.

Calpol sachets for travelling, camping. So much easier than lugging the Panadol bottle & syringe around.

And I agree about the hay fever tablets too.

Calpol sachets for travelling, camping. So much easier than lugging the Panadol bottle & syringe around.

My 2 year daugther can't abide Panadol and immediately brings it up. After a few days of giving it to her as a suppository (which was no fun for either of us) I got my mum to post us a bottle of Calpol, should the need arise again!

No, not really. I think I brought a couple of extra face creams because I get eczema/dermatitis and wanted to give myself some time to find an alternative (I knew I couldn't get my brand here), but that was it. I did moan profusely when we first arrived about not being able to get certain things, but it was more the case that I didn't know where to go to buy them than that I couldn't get them.

Whatever you stock up on will run out anyway.

And there are stores here to buy things too. Embrace the change..

That's kind of how I feel about it too. We bought, and brought, loads of stuff, but we weren't paying for shipping so may as well. If I had my time again, would I have brought it all? Probably not. I am glad I bought a new pushbike, they cost twice as much here. The only other thing is Calpol - can't buy it here, yes there are local equivalents but if your kids see it as some sort of magic bullet (as my son does) then I guess it's worth it

All that being said, when we go back for a visit in August we're taking empty suitcases with us. And mostly buying clothes over there, because there is so much more choice and much better value at the higher/quality end of the market in particular. I wouldn't stock up on them to come out with though, clothes don't last for ever either literally or fashionably

I would buy some baby bundles of clothes off eBay for the next size or two.

And I agree about the hay fever tablets too.

Whenever we go back, these are the only things i go out of my way to buy and bring back.

The oh goes mad at next, gap, monsoon, m&s,(most clothing shops actually). Jams it all into a much abused suitcase and then wonders how she will fit it into her wardrobe when she dumps it all on the bed at home. And this is a woman that has a summer and winter wardrobe already as it all doesnt fit. One hanging, the other taking up two massive vacuum bags under the bed. Changeover day at the two equinoxes are mayhem, but like another two Christmases a year for her.

I wish I'd bought more clothes, especially work clothes. However I used to work part time and mostly from home where as now I work full time in an office and I was seriously under prepared clothes wish. And I had put on a few pounds in the move over so some of the things I had didn't fit. And I discovered once we got here that some of my favourite things had holes in. Really I wish I had gone through my wardrobe properly, getting rid of anything that was falling apart or didn't fit and then replaced them with new stuff.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Pot Noodles and Chip Shop curry sauce. Can't find either of them so far. Was back in the UK recently and so was able to indulge, but I do miss them. My local IGA have recently started stocking Chocolate Hob-Nobs of late, so that's one ticked off my list.

"Pot noodle".... If you really have too..... you go in any Chinese supermarket they are floor to ceiling with instant noodle.... In 1000's of flavors.

Mind you doesn't come in an English plastic tub....

Perhaps you could get friends to send their old ones over.

ACT SS Application 30/7/10, ACT SS Approved 31/8/10, application lodged 29/11/10, CO appointed 27/1/11, Med & PCC Req 11/2/11, Meds finalised 6/3/11, PCC´s submitted 7/3/11, Wifes Meds finalized 29/3/11...VISA GRANTED 7/4/11

Seriously they're rubbish, waaay too watery. I did have a couple of beef and tomato ones lined up for my suitcase during my last trip but I succumbed to temptation and wolfed them before packing! :smile:

I tend to stock up on paracetamol, ibuprofen and hayfever tablets when I go back to the UK. So worth bringing a small supply with you. I have found a brand of children's paracetamol over here called Dymadon, it's no calpol, but so much better than the children's Panadol.

"You're the driver not the passenger in life..."

I'd say bedding too as it's different sizes over here. Also make sure you bring heavier duvets as we threw ours out and had to rebuy over here as we have 2 thick duvets on at night in winter.

I'd say bedding too as it's different sizes over here. Also make sure you bring heavier duvets as we threw ours out and had to rebuy over here as we have 2 thick duvets on at night in winter.

Best donnas are from Aussiewoolquits in Warragul. 2 hrs east of Melb. About $250 each. Best we've ever had. We have one, as do both kids. Twice as thick as any I've found in dept stores.

Ok, from a ladies' point of view I would bring a years supply of haircare, skin care, cosmetics.... It's ruinously expensive over here and although many places (chemistdirect, spacenk, escentuals) ship here, Boots and super drug don't!!! Some of my fave products are boots or superdrug own brands or "brand" brands... If you're wedded to anything in particular then best stock up!

Otherwise, seriously stock up on as much as you can. Clothes and shoes, bedding and towels, ikea flatpack, baby stuff, washing powder..... You won't regret it

Also/ duty free booze on your way over!! You'll save 60+% on gin, vodka, whisky...

Chemist direct is really good for OTC medicines and chemist type things - they take the VAT (if applicable) off too so it's very competitive. No need to being everything but the kitchen sink in your baggage! For example we got a delivery of ibuprofen, bonjela, lemsip, hot/cold gel pack +other stuff this week no probs

I dont really get the calpol thing, liquid paracetamol is liquid paracetamol whatever it says on the bottle??!! That said I bough a bag full of paracetamol, ibuprofen and antihistimines back with me on our last trip back, also English chocolate, tea bags, horlicks light and breakfast cereal, make up, toiletries etc

Best donnas are from Aussiewoolquits in Warragul. 2 hrs east of Melb. About $250 each. Best we've ever had. We have one, as do both kids. Twice as thick as any I've found in dept stores.

Thick and relatively cheap donnas sound right up my street tbh. Do they come in redhead, blonde or brunette?

I dont really get the calpol thing, liquid paracetamol is liquid paracetamol whatever it says on the bottle??!! That said I bough a bag full of paracetamol, ibuprofen and antihistimines back with me on our last trip back, also English chocolate, tea bags, horlicks light and breakfast cereal, make up, toiletries etc

Baby Panadol is "cherry" flavoured and my daughter gags on it. Dymadon is orange flavoured and she takes it with no probs. for me it isn't the active ingredient, more what she will take flavour wise! :biggrin:

"You're the driver not the passenger in life..."

For some kids it's just a question of what they're used to I think. My son saw Calpol as some sort of magic elixir that would instantly stop him whinging about any sort of pain or illness, 90% in the mind.

He's just about grown out of that now, at just turned 6. And infants neither know nor care what they're being given. For 3-4 year olds and the like it's just way, way easier to give them something familiar when they're both ill and upset I think

For some kids it's just a question of what they're used to I think. My son saw Calpol as some sort of magic elixir that would instantly stop him whinging about any sort of pain or illness, 90% in the mind.

He's just about grown out of that now, at just turned 6. And infants neither know nor care what they're being given. For 3-4 year olds and the like it's just way, way easier to give them something familiar when they're both ill and upset I think

Calpol WAS a magic elixir.. I used to always say i was ill so i could get some lol was probably lying half of the time. The pink stuff was amazing!

Stacey, I still have it occasionally if I'm poorly and swallowing hurts! Bit silly really but it does taste like childhood.

Bought some Kinder chocolate today for the suitcase, not sure why but it feels good to hoard.

309/100 visa lodged 04/02/2013, living in Aus since 01/07/2013, visa granted 02/09/2013!

Stacey, I still have it occasionally if I'm poorly and swallowing hurts! Bit silly really but it does taste like childhood.

Bought some Kinder chocolate today for the suitcase, not sure why but it feels good to hoard.

Your roughly the same age as me arent you? Do they still do the one thats pink and sugary tasting? If so then i'll need to go buy a bottle lol childhood memories! I remember my aunt gave me one that was horrible, was orange or something like that. Dont think i ever asked for it again!