Living in Australia - What you need to know

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen
I guess it may be. Certainly not in Melbourne from my reports.

Agree no pies at Melbourne chippies and none up here in FNQ either

Here's one: Don't refer to your child as your "sprog". At least in some parts, sprog is, urm, man milk.

So tonight I was talking to the Australian guy that I explained to that root and things aren't the same in Scotland. I said "I hear sprog means something completely different in your country". He asked what does it mean here like. Think he was quite shocked when I told him it's what we call children lol

It would come down to equipment I presume.

A pie would require baking in an oven. An oven is common equipment at a bakery, thus, that is where you will find your pie..

Nope, defrost them in the microwave then straight into the fryer. Sometimes they even batter them first...

who says the Scottish diet is unhealthy?

Nope, defrost them in the microwave then straight into the fryer. Sometimes they even batter them first...

who says the Scottish diet is unhealthy?

I've never tried a battered pie. I don't even like pies, well other than a chicken curry one and ocassionally a steak pie. Wouldn't batter those though lol

So tonight I was talking to the Australian guy that I explained to that root and things aren't the same in Scotland. I said "I hear sprog means something completely different in your country". He asked what does it mean here like. Think he was quite shocked when I told him it's what we call children lol

Aye. I've had some interesting debates about the language differences. I get laughed at for the way I pronounce Poland, yoghurt, pergola etc.

Aye. I've had some interesting debates about the language differences. I get laughed at for the way I pronounce Poland, yoghurt, pergola etc.

Untill I came on here I didn't really think about all the different word differences. Some of them could be quite awkward! I had to explain if we used "root" or "rooting" then it would be about a tree or rooting for a team or something like that lol

This is one of the best threads on PINOZ. Had a lot of fun, the most confusing thing 'lollies" was mentioned before. I was completely irritated buying sweets in Foodland and couldn't find it only a sign 'lollies'. 'Wow' I thought to myself, they have a lolly section just to find out that's a general term for chocolate and more...

Untill I came on here I didn't really think about all the different word differences. Some of them could be quite awkward! I had to explain if we used "root" or "rooting" then it would be about a tree or rooting for a team or something like that lol

I work in IT, so the root debate will be had often I think, as will darrtarr. As I've said before though, when I get there all I want is to be able to use my own vernacular and be understood. So, being aware of the differences is of great help as if I say anything that isn't understood, I can explain.

I work in IT, so the root debate will be had often I think, as will darrtarr. As I've said before though, when I get there all I want is to be able to use my own vernacular and be understood. So, being aware of the differences is of great help as if I say anything that isn't understood, I can explain.

Yep, many (not all) Australians will take a row-t (as in argument, not row as in boat) get from a to b and almost all connect to the internet through a row-ter. Maybe too many crap US shows on TV.

• 1 month later...
Pedestrian crossings sound like you're counting down to a race, and you feel as if you have to walk really fast when the green man shows, as the bleeps are so manic!......... Great fun!

Found a clip of one on YouTube, so will try to put a link below...... :biggrin:

:biglaugh:

This is the main funny thing we still talk about when we remember our reccie.... Along with living on sausages for the last week..... Hubby can 'do' the noise very well....little things please little minds I guess....:laugh:

:biglaugh:

This is the main funny thing we still talk about when we remember our reccie.... Along with living on sausages for the last week..... Hubby can 'do' the noise very well....little things please little minds I guess....:laugh:

Yes, we still talk about the pedestrian crossings too, two years on........!!

• 3 weeks later...

a lot of whats been said on this forum is correct but they all vary from state to state and also with the age of the person involved in the conversation,i as an older australian know pretty much all of the english sayings and what is meant and still use rhyming slang,it is mainly the younger population,45 down that you may have trouble in making yourself understood.older aussies had basically a british form of education whereas younger aussies have unfortunately been americanised.

Debute is 'Day boo'

Every sport here (except Football) is called Football.

If you're venturing onto the roads in Queensland make sure your affairs are in order. Even out of state Aussies can't believe how bad the driving is here.

Forget lane discipline, if you indicate to change lane (either way) the car in that lane 50 yards behind will inexplicably accelarate to prvent this (so you learn to use the 'Mirror, manouver, signal' approach to get across.

Prepare to be tailgated by only a few inches and then when you move over the car comes past and then minutes later you will overtake that car even though you haven't changed your speed.

If you are at a set of lights you need the reactions of Lewis Hamilton because the split second the lights go to green the car behind will sound their horn.

I suppose 75% of the people on the road are ok but there are a significant number of people who make the roads up here pretty dangerous if you don't stay alert. One of the things I was looking forward to about living in the sun was being able to ride motorcycles all year round but I think i'll stick to four wheels.

Having said all that I do enjoy leaving V8 utes for dust in my Holden Barina at roundabouts, the locals for all their law breaking antics seem to religiously maintain lane discipline at roundabouts even if there is a straight line through the junction they will go all the way around the outside meaning you can leave them in your wake !

I go to Melbourne every couple of weeks and the drivers there are pretty safe so I guess it's a QLD thing !

Guest Guest66881

Here in Perth, when the suns out it can get bloody hot, but if you do have the luck of catching a bit of rain beware as it can be ferocious at times.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23914[/ATTACH]

If you're venturing onto the roads in Queensland make sure your affairs are in order. Even out of state Aussies can't believe how bad the driving is here.

Forget lane discipline, if you indicate to change lane (either way) the car in that lane 50 yards behind will inexplicably accelarate to prvent this (so you learn to use the 'Mirror, manouver, signal' approach to get across.

Prepare to be tailgated by only a few inches and then when you move over the car comes past and then minutes later you will overtake that car even though you haven't changed your speed.

If you are at a set of lights you need the reactions of Lewis Hamilton because the split second the lights go to green the car behind will sound their horn.

I suppose 75% of the people on the road are ok but there are a significant number of people who make the roads up here pretty dangerous if you don't stay alert. One of the things I was looking forward to about living in the sun was being able to ride motorcycles all year round but I think i'll stick to four wheels.

Having said all that I do enjoy leaving V8 utes for dust in my Holden Barina at roundabouts, the locals for all their law breaking antics seem to religiously maintain lane discipline at roundabouts even if there is a straight line through the junction they will go all the way around the outside meaning you can leave them in your wake !

I go to Melbourne every couple of weeks and the drivers there are pretty safe so I guess it's a QLD thing !

It is hard to describe just how appalling the driving is here in Qld. Undertaking and tailgating are two of the things that scare me most. You can't take refuge in the 'slow' lane, there is no escape from people sitting on your @rse. Leave a decent gap on the motorway and someone will just squeeze into it like you're breaking some kind of rule. Inevitable crashes when it rains as Queensland drivers can't cope with driving it the wet (just as well we only get light showers here - eh) When we went back to the UK for a holiday the M25 in rush hour seemed like the embodiment of courtesy and control. If the Qld police ever decided to reinforce laws for poor driving instead of just concentrating on speeding, they would earn a fortune and we'd all be a lot safer.

Guest Ptp113
It is hard to describe just how appalling the driving is here in Qld. Undertaking and tailgating are two of the things that scare me most. You can't take refuge in the 'slow' lane, there is no escape from people sitting on your @rse. Leave a decent gap on the motorway and someone will just squeeze into it like you're breaking some kind of rule. Inevitable crashes when it rains as Queensland drivers can't cope with driving it the wet (just as well we only get light showers here - eh) When we went back to the UK for a holiday the M25 in rush hour seemed like the embodiment of courtesy and control. If the Qld police ever decided to reinforce laws for poor driving instead of just concentrating on speeding, they would earn a fortune and we'd all be a lot safer.

Undertaking is legal. Why poms think pommy rules apply?

Oh boy....I have just wasted a good 25 minutes reading all of these posts and having a laugh.

I am proudly Aussie born and bred but have spent the last 7 years in London (hoping to return later this year with the partner and 2 kids once the visa comes through) and I think I have become rather "Londonized" (despite the obvious Aussie accent everyone picks up on still) so it was quite fun to read all of these comments and I actually laughed out loud at quite a few of them. It bought back some good memories but it also makes me a little wary of going home and having to re-learn a lot of things and deal with the family taking the piss over my "Londonisms".

Thank you for starting this thread and helping me get re-oriented in the Aussie slang :)

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliant thread. I too am Aussie born and bred but have lived in London for 13 years. Sounds like I'll have some things to re-learn/remember when I get back. Including road rules. Think some driving lessons will be needed especially if I end up having to know how to do a hook turn in Melbourne.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rummy

You also need to watch out for British english terms, that can be different than American terms. Everyone knows "Autumn" but I was confused when hearing "thongs" and "nappies":)

• 1 month later...
Undertaking is legal. Why poms think pommy rules apply?

Undertaking is not legal. It's just that everyone does it.

I checked this out after getting a load of abusive hand gestures (from a Sheila !) for moving over to let her pass safely on the outside when I saw her approaching at speed.

On the QLD highways website it states that undertaking is illegal unless two lanes are slow moving traffic (same as UK).

Having said that, even the police undertake !