Living in Australia - What you need to know

Guest The Pom Queen

schoolies - a week of over the top sex, drugs and drinking that takes place at school leaving

Toolies - older men who hang out at schoolies, hoping for the aforementioned.

Ambos - ambulance drivers/paramedics

Firies - fire officers

Bashed - assaulted

All these terms are used on national news which I found incredible when we first arrived after a lifetime of BBC English,

Why on earth change your accent? I've been here 5 years and it's still a rooter to me :) I do find myself saying darta instead of date-er sometimes now though - don't force it, why try to be someone you're not? 20% of the population are poms ( unless you are going to a rural area) so they'll probably think you're trying too hard.

Expect to have your leg pulled but that's part of the team bonding, so long as it isn't malicious or bullying, why worry?

Because in Australia row-ter means something rude (as mentioned previoulsy) so if you work in IT and continue to call it a roo-ter rather than a row-ter (and that's row as in argue not row as in oar) your new colleagues will soon pull you up on it.

Because in Australia row-ter means something rude (as mentioned previoulsy) so if you work in IT and continue to call it a roo-ter rather than a row-ter (and that's row as in argue not row as in oar) your new colleagues will soon pull you up on it.

Worked in IT for 5 years here and never had a problem :)

Avo...Avacado

Servo..Petrol Station

Reno...Renovation/Renovating

Macca's....Mc Donald's fast food

All sweets are called Lollies :chatterbox: wether it's has a stick or not! :no:

Ice Lollies....Icy Pole....again with or without a stick!

And as some one else mentioned , make sure you park facing the way your driving, I was caught out by this lol until some kind lady said if I new I was parking illegally :embarrassed:

Its funny to watch TV and the presenters/news reader seem to use all these shortened slang words also...takes some getting used to. I'm not into these sorts of shortened slang type word, in the UK or here so I say it as it is....the whole word lol :biggrin:

Guest The Pom Queen
Bring a plate means bring some food to share

This one caught us out our friends had a BBQ and said Bring a Plate so we did just take a plate, how embarrassing :embarrassed: We did take them a bottle of spirits though for inviting us

Guest The Pom Queen

If you park somewhere and it says 2P that means 2 hours, we got caught out with this when we first arrived, i just thought it was an identification marker for where we had parked and went in to the city on the train for 6 hours.

Swimming costumes = bathers, cozzies, speedos or (in the case of boys) budgie smugglers

Australians tend not to refer to Australia as Oz but Aus and not Ozzies but Aussies

Re parking - in some places you are required to park backwards - at an angle ( or frontwards at an angle) - read the signs (angle parking or reverse angle parking)

A long drive is over 12 hours, anything less is just a short trip

Get Premium cover from your road service provider because if your car is going to break down on a trip it'll do it at the max distance from the next nearest town and the nearest repair garage is bound to be further on and incur an extra tow charge with the bog standard roadside cover.

Kangaroos are worse than sheep when it comes to jumping out in front of cars so watch out when driving at dusk or dawn and either get bloody great bull bars or a roo scarer fitted on your car (not needed in central Melbourne of course)

There is no 24 hour shopping, online shopping isn't as common, most shops close at 5pm on Saturday and don't open till 11am on Sunday - so if you need milk..... and public holidays actually mean shops stay closed too so everyone gets to enjoy the holiday.

Checkout assistants are generally happy to serve you, they will pack your bags for you and supermarkets charge for plastic bags.

And veggies only have one g

We got caught out with this when we came back to the UK after living in Aus for only a year. Went to Tesco's and my wife and I were happily chatting to each other while the cashier scanned our shopping through....it was only when the conveyabelt stopped moving that the cashier asked "are you going to pack this"....in the poilte way only an English supermarket worker knows how!!

I find when people ask you how you are or "how ya goin" they are genuinely interested...or maybe I have been fooled!

There is no 24 hour shopping, online shopping isn't as common, most shops close at 5pm on Saturday and don't open till 11am on Sunday - so if you need milk..... and public holidays actually mean shops stay closed too so everyone gets to enjoy the holiday.

Checkout assistants are generally happy to serve you, they will pack your bags for you and supermarkets charge for plastic bags.

There is 24 hour shopping at Woolies and Coles. At least there is in Tassie. And they don't charge for plastic bags either.

...although non bio-degradable bags are just about to be banned.

spud Shed is open 24hrs

I've never been charged for a plastic bag

our local IGA opens till 11pm every night of the week and is open on Christmas Day

What, even more variations to remember?! I'm in Melbourne, where is the 'joggers' term used? By the way, the word joggers brings to mind track suit bottoms or slow runners!

In Melbourne, we call them runners. Joggers are the people who wear them!

courgette is a zucchini

butternut squash seems to just be pumpkin

The Aussies were horrified when I said "fannying about" as in "I was just fannying about". They asked if I was aware that a fanny is a vagina! Haha!

Break time at school is recess and the staff like to have 'morning tea'

They pronounce derby 'durby' rather than 'darby'

Tonnes is pronounced 'tons' as opposed to 'tuns'

Edited by Lucia

Disclaimer then - preface my previous post with "here in Adelaide"

(Oh - and Australian keyboards are laid out differently to my last UK one)

Have to agree that in Adelaide there is no 24 hour shopping. We are getting close though - Coles near us open 12 midnight to 9pm Monday to Friday. Just need that last 3 hours and we'll be there. Closing at 5pm on a Saturday still catches me out, although there is a Coles express (bit like an inferior version of Tesco express) near us that is open until much later on a Saturday and is very handy for last minute ice cream or chocolate.

One of the big things to know about Australia is that although it is one country each state have their own laws and regulations, and what applies in one does not always apply in the others.

ETA - someone said something about there being no shopping on a public holiday. Here in SA they have just changed the rules so that the CBD shops can open on a public holiday.

Edited by NicF