Living in Australia - What you need to know

Guest The Pom Queen

25 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

In my experience hotel/motel check-out time is always 10am. This appears to be non-negotiable, and woe betide anyone who is a minute late 😄

Not sure I agree, we travel quite a lot and always ask if we can have a late check out if we aren’t in a hurry. Some places it’s obviously not going to be viable, so not worth asking, but we more often than not get at least an hour extra. My son just stayed in the Rydges hotel in Brisbane and was given a 1pm check out when he asked for a late check out, and at no extra cost. 

Dont ask don’t get.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ramot said:

Not sure I agree, we travel quite a lot and always ask if we can have a late check out

I agree.  If you don't ask the night before then they're strict about the 10am checkout - but if you ask, they'll often let you stay a bit longer.   If not, they'll usually let you store your bags somewhere so you can go out and do some sightseeing and pick them up later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ramot said:

My son just stayed in the Rydges hotel in Brisbane and was given a 1pm check out when he asked for a late check out, and at no extra cost. 

Dont ask don’t get.

Rydges not exactly in my price range tbh. I'd normally be staying in some country town whilst making a road trip, and it always seems to be 10am in the places. The cleaners are usually coming around with their trolleys from 9 onward. I'll make a point of asking in future though 🙂

3 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Rydges not exactly in my price range tbh. I'd normally be staying in some country town whilst making a road trip, and it always seems to be 10am in the places. The cleaners are usually coming around with their trolleys from 9 onward. I'll make a point of asking in future though 🙂

Always worth asking in the small places, motels and pubs etc, I've managed late checkouts often -11am or midday even, if they don't need the room to be ready for someone else at once they can often sor it for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

8 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Rydges was $130 a night for a 2 queen bed room, so for my son a family of 4 with the boys sharing a bed was a pretty good price in my opinion for a good hotel with a pool on the Southbank Brisbane close to everything. Worth joining the loyalty club to get the best price. This was last week, 

trust me we have travelled extensively to every state in Australia and stay in motels for overnight  or preferably a one bed flat if longer. As I mentioned it’s obvious that it will be impractical for some small places to extend check out time, but I still say always ask. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

In my experience hotel/motel check-out time is always 10am. This appears to be non-negotiable, and woe betide anyone who is a minute late 😄

Rubbish.  Every motel/hotel has different checkout times.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 15/03/2019 at 15:56, Gbye grey sky said:

Agree with most of these but definitely not the case on those two highlighted where I live in SE Queensland.  Merging is easy.  Pull away at green lights is invariably painfully slow, and ise of the car horn is almost non-existent.

Also agree totally! They see it as a failing if they allow some in in front if them whilst driving!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scousers said:

Also agree totally! They see it as a failing if they allow some in in front if them whilst driving!

I think that is to do with the high levels of competitiveness that Aussies seem to have.

But it's not working to their advantage in this case as they drive so close to the car in front, in order to stop someone taking 'their' space, that they have no room to brake when the car in front does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Prescriptions- I’ve found the cheapest to be the larger chains like chemist warehouse. They buy larger quantities and can sell cheaper.

Went to a local pharmacy recently as it was more convenient and ended up paying $85 instead of the usual $50 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 31/01/2022 at 13:30, samlab said:

Prescriptions- I’ve found the cheapest to be the larger chains like chemist warehouse. They buy larger quantities and can sell cheaper.

Went to a local pharmacy recently as it was more convenient and ended up paying $85 instead of the usual $50 

It certainly pays to shop around.  Our 777 pharmacy 24 hour is literally double the price for lots of things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2022 at 13:30, samlab said:

Most places will price match 

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

Most places will price match 

I ask and nearly always get price match on everything not just pharmaceuticals.  Tried it in Melbourne last time I was there and they looked at me like I’d just landed from Mars and then refused.  

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...