Living in Australia - What you need to know

Guest The Pom Queen

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Legal requirement to fence pools deeper than 300mm including inflatable pools WA

5c is lowest denomination so expect rounding up or down when paying cash

australian magpies can swoop during the Sep- Nov time and can cause nasty injuries

beware at roundabouts both lanes can go straight ahead

indicator on opposite side of steering wheel, was turning the wipers on for weeks

double points and fines for speeding on public holidays in W A not sure about elsewhere

dont expect a fast response or sometimes any response to job applications or interview feedback, it's also common for potential employers to ask for references before they make a job offer

vast majority of homes have built in wardrobes don't bother shipping freestanding ones

dont throw away your winter clothes, it does feel cold in winter, even in Perth!

• 1 month later...
An English Breakfast is a Tea, it is not an English Breakfast . I found out this the hard way when I ordered it , I was expecting an English breakfast but instead received a cup of coffee & a Cup of Tea & a very strange look from the waitress.

That's not such a onerous burden is it? I would have expected "English Breakfast" to be listed under the teas and coffees on the menu, along with Earl Grey.

I expect you were glaring at the waitress!?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

An English Breakfast is a Tea, it is not an English Breakfast . I found out this the hard way when I ordered it , I was expecting an English breakfast but instead received a cup of coffee & a Cup of Tea & a very strange look from the waitress.

That made me chuckle! [emoji2]

Did you just sit down and ask the staff if they could do you a lovely English breakfast? And they didn't enquire if you were looking to order some food also?

Most cafes actually do sell a full fried breakfast (with their own moniker for it). In my wife's cafe it's currently called a "Full Monty". It's previous name was just "Big breakfast" but that doesn't sound as glamorous and people will pay more for some lyrically descriptive menu items!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
That's not such a onerous burden is it? I would have expected "English Breakfast" to be listed under the teas and coffees on the menu, along with Earl Grey.

I expect you were glaring at the waitress!?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

I just got off the plane the night before & had a few sociable's after that , so lets put it this way, I was a bit fragile the morning after - Turned out to be a great hangover cure

• 4 weeks later...

Most Aussies would use a Weber type BBQ so proper grilling over a flame. A flat type in the public ones is closer to frying I guess but as the fat runs into a hole in the middle probably not good for actual frying.

I think it is more terminology at work here.

Barbie (AUS) Cooking outdoors.

BBQ (US) indirect heat usually from wood, low and slow.

BBQ (UK) Cooking over an open flame.

Grilling (US) Cooking over an open flame.

Grilling (UK) heat source above so you can make cheese on toast.

Broiler (US) heat source above so you can make cheese on toast.

From what I've seen from my Aus family, they have gas BBQs but only use the flat plate with oil to cook on - shallow frying in my opinion.

I have already started a program of re-education:wink:

• 1 month later...

A school Project is pronounced prowject (row as in row your boat). Not sure about to project your voice, though!! Language is weird, isn't it?

If you say "hiya" they will question you about what on earth you're saying! Equally, if you say "alright?" They'll look at their body to see if they have an injury. You should ask "how yer goin" and the reply will be "yeah good thanks".

If you've had a few beers the night before, you may be asked the next morning if you've pulled up ok.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Letterboxes being outside your house and knowing that whenever it rains, your post will ALWAYS be left half hanging out of them.

Fuse boxes are on the outside of some houses which I find strange.

Automatic cars being so common here, and often little difference in price from a manual.

I don't know if this is just a WA thing but if I'm put hold when I'm on the phone to someone, when they pick up again they always say "Are you there?".

• 1 month later...