Living in Australia - What you need to know

Guest The Pom Queen

What is wrong with Aussie sausages? I hear a lot of people say they are rank, disgusting and don't taste like British ones, so what is the difference?

Hard to say, I don't dislike Aussie sausages but overall British sausages just seem to have more flavour. I don't mind the Aussie BBQ sausages actually, they have what can only be described as a neutral flavour. They aren't disgusting by any means. When I was a kid I used to love Huttons pork sausages but not sure if they are around any more.

The sausages are rank lol ya can get British sausage from pommie shop though but dearer ! Bacon is rank aswel carnt explain but it's rank lol :) very bland to me and I don't like chicken salt grose ! Me kids like chicken salt though each to its own I suppose :)bacon tastes like rubber x

Edited by Shellybingobingo

The sausages are rank lol ya can get British sausage from pommie shop though but dearer ! Bacon is rank aswel carnt explain but it's rank lol :) very bland to me and I don't like chicken salt grose ! Me kids like chicken salt though each to its own I suppose :)bacon tastes like rubber x

I do agree about the bacon, it just doesn't taste 'right' really. I used to have chicken salt occasionally, I don't mind it. The sausages are OK, a bit like supermarket lemonade against Schweppes lol

Funny about the bacon - my DH much prefers Aus bacon - we've even done a comparison and Aus bacon is all smoked, much UK bacon is unsmoked. I prefer unsmoked and he doesn't! Aus bacon doesn't crisp enough for me!

It's a different kind of smoking though. Even though Aus bacon has an element of smoking,(smoke bubbled through water) it isn't true "smoke" as in Pommy or European smoke. Youi can actually find "proper" smoking if you look but it's a good 50% above normal price and actually, reall smoked here is better than Uk smoked if you can find it

It's a different kind of smoking though. Even though Aus bacon has an element of smoking,(smoke bubbled through water) it isn't true "smoke" as in Pommy or European smoke. Youi can actually find "proper" smoking if you look but it's a good 50% above normal price and actually, reall smoked here is better than Uk smoked if you can find it

Ah, didn't know that! I just like crispy short back!

In our first week of being here our son was sat on a wall outside the school with a couple of the other children, the wife turned around and he was in a heap on the floor, he'd fallen off the wall and banged his head on the path. He seemed fine but as a precaution she took him to the local doctors, the doctors wanted him to be checked at the local hospital and so preceded to take him there in an ambulance, he got the all clear so all was well...or so we thought!!

A few days later we received a bill for $1000!!

$1000 for an ambulance to take our 6 year old son ten minutes down the road!! We didn't even need the ambulance, my wife could have taken him...welcome to Australia, yeah thanks for telling us immigration dept!!

Moral of the story:

As soon as you step off the plane get ambulance cover! (At least in VIC) $80 a year for a family premium for a year or $1000 for a ten minute ride down the road, we learnt the hard way!!

• 3 weeks later...
Now I do not want this thread turning in to a V's thread but thought it may be a good place to have advice for new arrivals, for example:

1) You have to park in the same direction as the flow of traffic.

2) Manchester is not the place in the UK it is a name for bedding and towels

3) Flybys is a loyalty reward card https://www.flybuys.com.au/flybuys/content

Just a quick reminder what this thread is about as some seem to have forgotten.

If your post is now removed its was discussing a member on in reply to a post discussing member.

Cal x

In our first week of being here our son was sat on a wall outside the school with a couple of the other children, the wife turned around and he was in a heap on the floor, he'd fallen off the wall and banged his head on the path. He seemed fine but as a precaution she took him to the local doctors, the doctors wanted him to be checked at the local hospital and so preceded to take him there in an ambulance, he got the all clear so all was well...or so we thought!!

A few days later we received a bill for $1000!!

$1000 for an ambulance to take our 6 year old son ten minutes down the road!! We didn't even need the ambulance, my wife could have taken him...welcome to Australia, yeah thanks for telling us immigration dept!!

Moral of the story:

As soon as you step off the plane get ambulance cover! (At least in VIC) $80 a year for a family premium for a year or $1000 for a ten minute ride down the road, we learnt the hard way!!

But you are talking with hindsight, surely? What would have happened if the doctor had not sent your son to hospital, and then he had become very ill? I just read a case in the Daily Mail about a young woman whose symptoms were not treated as seriously as they should have been by the emergency services, leading to the worst possible outcome.

You could have taken out travel insurance to cover yourselves for the first few weeks in Australia, whilst you were finding your feet, and it's not the job of DIAS to warn you of all the possible pitfalls of life in Australia.