Chocolate to Oz?

phillys1980

Guest Ptp113
I'm surprised that some people can't tell the difference and don't think other people can. If anyone needs a demonstration, feel free to turn up at my house with 2 bars of Dairy Milk (preferably 400g), one from Oz and one from the UK, and I will eat them both and tell you which was which, just so you can see.

No contest. Oz choc has more cocoa solids

Guest Ptp113
So why can't they turn it into something edible instead of the awful stuff they make here?

You're in Qld. Ever thought to research interstate?

Oh really. I think I just don't get why someone can care that much subtle differences in their chocolate. I wouldn't dream of asking a friend to carry a pile of chocolate across the world for me, imagine the potential for mess..

:biggrin:

My daughter can tell the difference and says for her it isn't that subtle .. me I can only tell if it's thorntons

Guest Ptp113

People who understand chocolate know that higher % cocoa solids is where it's at. Milk chocolate is really an abomination, but the masses wouldn't know any better. Try something with say 70% cocoa solids, a bit of a shock at first, but it comes to those who persevere. Here is a good chocolatier for those that have the money. It definitely isn't pom style vegolate

http://www.lindsayandedmunds.com.au/

People who understand chocolate know that higher % cocoa solids is where it's at. Milk chocolate is really an abomination, but the masses wouldn't know any better. Try something with say 70% cocoa solids, a bit of a shock at first, but it comes to those who persevere. Here is a good chocolatier for those that have the money. It definitely isn't pom style vegolate

you're right about milk chocolate........it's all pretty much crap. I normally buy Lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate with an occasional foray into the 80% cocoa stuff, beautiful taste as 'real' chocolate should taste. Had a look at the website....the Caramelised Chilli with Macadamia sounds good......think a slab or two as a special treat would be in order.

I think the Cadbury's chocolate here in Ireland is nicer than the English version, - sooo much creamier, it melts in the mouth... yum.

I tell you what chocolate is awful - they have been selling chocolate here... with bits of cheese and onion crisps in it.... So wrong!:eek:

Edited by Soooty

Guest Ptp113
you're right about milk chocolate........it's all pretty much crap. I normally buy Lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate with an occasional foray into the 80% cocoa stuff, beautiful taste as 'real' chocolate should taste. Had a look at the website....the Caramelised Chilli with Macadamia sounds good......think a slab or two as a special treat would be in order.

And it's made in what used to be the RAAF Fairbairn Officers Mess

Sadly dark chocolate gives me migraines. Much as I'd love to savour the flavour, I can't any more :cry: . So I'll have to stick to milk chocolate forever more.

Guest Ptp113
Some of us have tried chocolate of cocoa solids from 70% to 85% and simply prefer milk chocolate. I'm not sure how long I should eat chocolate I don't like in the aims of bettering my tastes...?

When you grow up, your taste buds will mature

I'm with you Tulip. Apparently beetroot has a compound in it which is the same as chocolate (so satisfies the same craving, apparently....), so we should choose beetroot as the 'healthy alternative'. Stuff that! I HATE beetroot. Give me creamy, milky, sugary, melt in the mouth milk chocolate any day. I don't give a monkey's what the ingredients are! :wink:

I hate dark chocolate, it tastes like soil.

I eat a ton of chocolate, always have, and I can't tell any difference. Maybe I'm used to Aussie now, maybe my taste buds are bogan, whatever. It doesn't really make any odds.

The UK shop in Joondalup sells proper English stuff, I bought a Star Bar last weekend, but I'm still no nearer cracking this 'difference' dilemma.

Now, Heinz Chicken Soup, I can taste the difference there but, chocolate, no. I'm afraid, if you can, that's your problem. Sorry.

Guest Ptp113
I hate dark chocolate, it tastes like soil.

I eat a ton of chocolate, always have, and I can't tell any difference. Maybe I'm used to Aussie now, maybe my taste buds are bogan, whatever. It doesn't really make any odds.

The UK shop in Joondalup sells proper English stuff, I bought a Star Bar last weekend, but I'm still no nearer cracking this 'difference' dilemma.

Now, Heinz Chicken Soup, I can taste the difference there but, chocolate, no. I'm afraid, if you can, that's your problem. Sorry.

Do you smoke?

I brought a UK Cadbury bar back with me in May and we had a taste test at work. Unanimously everyone (6 Australians, 2 kiwis, a Swede and me) all thought UK cadburys tasted better than the Australian cadburys. My boss tried to figure out the difference and we concluded it was to do with proportions of ingredients rather than different ingredients.

Guest Ptp113
I brought a UK Cadbury bar back with me in May and we had a taste test at work. Unanimously everyone (6 Australians, 2 kiwis, a Swede and me) all thought UK cadburys tasted better than the Australian cadburys. My boss tried to figure out the difference and we concluded it was to do with proportions of ingredients rather than different ingredients.

No accounting for taste............