Chocolate to Oz?

phillys1980

Hi peeps,

I am flying to Perth next Thursday and a friend of mine has asked me to take some dairy chocolate over for him. Will I have any problems getting this into Oz?

I have bought some cadburys milk tray and some fruit and not whole nut bars, was this a waste of time?

No won't be a problem. But I wonder why your friend doesn't just buy his chocolate here.

Not sure how true but heard yesterday that the reason Cadbury is not the same there...and in other countries.... To home is because we use whole milk and other uses powder milk? There is a taste difference for sure this i true!

Not sure how true but heard yesterday that the reason Cadbury is not the same there...and in other countries.... To home is because we use whole milk and other uses powder milk? There is a taste difference for sure this i true!

It taste's different because the UK Cadbury's recipe use cheaper ingredients. The French wanted to ban it being called chocolate (in favour of vegolate) due to the vegetable oil content. The Aussie version still uses whole milk, but not the vegetable oil.

Oh really. I think I just don't get why someone can care that much subtle differences in their chocolate. I wouldn't dream of asking a friend to carry a pile of chocolate across the world for me, imagine the potential for mess..

:biggrin:

It has an ingredient in it to stop in melting as quickly in hot weather.

Put the chocolate and any other food in a plastic bag in your hand luggage and have it out and ready as you go through customs. Say that's all you have, they'll peek in the bag and they'll probably wave you through.

It has an ingredient in it to stop in melting as quickly in hot weather.

Put the chocolate and any other food in a plastic bag in your hand luggage and have it out and ready as you go through customs. Say that's all you have, they'll peek in the bag and they'll probably wave you through.

Yes, that was what I was always told too. No taste difference, but doesn't melt in your mouth.

They tried to change the recipe here:

CADBURY has caved in to pressure from outraged chocolate fanatics and pledged to remove palm oil from its Tasmanian-made blocks.

The company had tried to persuade Cadbury lovers its new recipe, replacing some cocoa butter with palm oil, would make its chocolate smoother, The Mercury reports.

But consumers were not convinced and Cadbury has been forced to apologise and revert to the original recipe, after being flooded with complaints.

"We are removing palm oil and returning to a cocoa butter only recipe for Cadbury's entire moulded block chocolate range, including our flagship Cadbury Dairy Milk brand and product lines such as Old Gold and Dream," Cadbury Australia managing director Mark Callaghan said yesterday.

"We will soon commence the production of a cocoa butter only recipe at Claremont in the coming weeks."

Cadbury changed the Dairy Milk recipe earlier this year, at the same time as it downsized its chocolate blocks and changed its packaging.

Rather than a money-driven decision, the company insisted it was adding palm oil to make the chocolate softer to bite.

The Mercury website was inundated with comments from once-loyal Cadbury fans who vowed never to buy it again.

"Why do Cadbury imagine we would prefer an adulterated, second-rate product?" one reader said.

Hobart chocolate lovers Maggie Abraham and Nina Middleton-Tubb yesterday hailed Cadbury's backflip as a sign of people power.

"If people can change chocolate, they can change the world," joked Miss Abraham. Miss Middleton-Tubb said: "It is good that they listened to the fact that people didn't like it."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/cadbury-removes-palm-oil/story-e6frg6ox-1225764168405

My daughter's just got back from six months in the UK and tells me that definitely English chocolate tastes better than Australian. I have to say I think pretty much her whole luggage was made up of chocolate - including one of those 1kg bars of Cadbury's for her brother, bags of maltesers, jaffa cakes, minstrels and some thorntons truffles (for me!) - and she didn't have any probs at customs at all - she had them in both hand and suitcase luggage and just told them at customs she had "a few lollies"! Mind you, being tall, blonde and 18 may have helped...or maybe not...

It's an unwritten rule with my friends and I, that if one of us has gone back to the UK we always bring chocolate back to Oz for each other!! You do get used to Aussie chocolate but its a familiar taste of home when we get an imported bar! Just always declare food stuffs on the customs card coming into Oz.

Guest Ptp113

Pommy chocolate in general has little 'chocolate' eg cocoa solids in it. Vegolate would be a better description. If you think coloured fat is chocolate, then yes the pommy version will suit your palate

Both are crap. Oz does some very good chocolate, as does the UK. None of which is cadbury. The chocolate factory in mandurah do some excellent choc.

I think you are comparing Playboy with Readers Wives. If you have the urge, both will get you off. But ultimately Playboy will do it with more style.:cool:

Guest Ptp113
Bloke i work with thought Cadbury was Australian....he thought Bournville was a fantasy place made up by somebody, like Willy Wonka.

It is horrible stuff here, definitely not as nice and way overpriced.

Best chocolate I've had here is Coles Belgian Mint Chocolate....that is superb.

You have two sensational chocolatiers in the ACT, in fact three when I think about it. Way better than pommy vegolate which is truly gross!

I'm surprised that some people can't tell the difference and don't think other people can. If anyone needs a demonstration, feel free to turn up at my house with 2 bars of Dairy Milk (preferably 400g), one from Oz and one from the UK, and I will eat them both and tell you which was which, just so you can see.