renting in Sydney

Guest Rebecca

Guest Rebecca

Hi there

We are off to Sydney this November and will have to look for temp. accomdation to stay in.

What's the renting procedure in Sydney? I've been looking on realestate.com.au and various of site....even tried to contact some letting agent about our situation. Only one agent replied and she said we should look closer to date (ie at the end of Sept / Oct).

Is 6 months rental properties available in Oz or are they mostly 12 months long?

Thanks in advance.

Stressful stuff........

P.S any advice on which suburbs are good in Sydney as well?

Hiya

I have read another thread saying if you percivere enogh you can sometimes get a 6mth rent ,if you wasnt sure you 'd want to rent for that long try clicking on 'holiday'rentals (top left side on realestate rentals ),hope this helps

Cal x

Guest gazoberg

there's a few websites for rental/buying but the best one seems to be

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=bhp&t=ren

this will give you a good idea about prices and type of accomodation you can afford. I would suggest you work out what you can afford and do a generalised search. If you find anything good, check the area on google and see if anything comes up and ask here! someone will probably be able to comment on most of the suburbs.

most properties are 6month minimum (or at least thats what ive found in brisbane) and require a one month deposit. Happy Hunting :D

Guest Rebecca

Thanks for the advice.

stressful stuff eh. I've got around 20 things to do and don't know where to start!

thanks again.

Guest gazoberg

stress ....nah this is easy :roll:

just been told that the buyer of my property is on holiday and hasnt had is formal offer for his mortgage. Supposed to complete on tuesday and doesnt look like its gonna happen and I fly 2wks on sunday.

stress ....nah .... :D

• 2 months later...
Guest john_g_wheeler

Hi Rebecca,

Renting is Sydney is pretty easy, and many places will offer a 6 month contract. I wouldn't try to arrange rental before you leave without seeing the property, because real-estate web-sites can often be misleading!

Choice of location depends on your family arrangement and priorities, and how much you want to spend! Anywhere where you can see the water will be more expensive, and locations close the city will be dear.

A very quick guide based on my experience:

1. The North Shore (north of the river, but which is mostly inland despite the name!) is mostly quite pleasant suburban streets with a few main shopping centres. I live in Love Cove which is about 15 minutes from the city centre by bus. I pay $600 a week for a 4 bedroom detached house on a plot of land about 60 x 20 metres wide. In the same area you would probably pay $200-300 a week for a flat.

2. If you are going to work in the city or North Sydney I would choose somewhere that has good public transport links, because driving is a pain, and can be expensive with road tolls and parking. Check out http://www.sydneybuses.info and http://www.cityrail.info.

3. The Eastern Suburbs (Bondi etc.) can be nice, and are quite trendy, but the cheaper suburbs look a bit more deprived than the North Shore. The really nice areas such as Rose Bay or Bronte are likely to be expensive.

4. The suburbs near the city (Surry Hills, Kings Cross, Glebe, Pyrmont) are supposed to be up-and-coming, but feel a bit run-down in some places.

5. The western suburbs are some of the poorest areas, with higher crime.

The only way to find out is to visit the areas, and see whether they appeal!

Archived