blobby1000

A word of warning

Hello everybody!

Now safely back in the UK I want to tell you a story. Please note, I will be naming no names (only places). This is meant entirely as a warning, something to be aware of, and not a bitter rant about our time in Australia. I wish we had been prepared. I wish we had been less naïve and I wish we had listened to either of two wonderful quotes:

"If something seems to good to be true, it probably is"

And

"There's no such thing as a free lunch"

Anyway, have a read, it might help you out if you are considering a move down under...just a few things to consider:

I'm a mental health nurse. We have 2 kids, who were 3 and 6 months when we left the UK. We fancied a change and we fancied a better life. I answered an advert in The Nursing Standard...you know the type...palm fringed beaches, blues skies...turquoise waters...."Come here and have a better life etc" So I applied.

I was given an interview by the agent who told me a few key things:

*Nobody pays relocation costs to Australia because jobs are over subscribed

*Its very difficult to get a mental health nursing job in Australia as it is so popular but they may be able to help/

They organised an interview with a chap in Melbourne for a job at "The prestigious Royal Melbourne Hospital in the City" and he offered me a job.

During the interview for the job I was told a few key things:

*There are no HCAs (these an unqualified nurses....more qualified equals easier work as more expertise, so this was sold to me as a big advantage).

*I would be going into an established team.

*Brand new multi-million dollar ward.

*Sponsorship for Permanent Residency within 3 months.

I accepted the job. No hesitation.

We got our visa. We shipped our goods.

Prior to leaving I was informed that I would not be working at "The Royal Melbourne" but rather a branch of the Royal Melbourne in Epping. Epping is probably 30km from the city, is a rough area, miles from the sea, one of the worst suburbs in Melbourne. I was not concerned. I could work there and we could live somewhere nice.

A week before departure I spoke with the nurse who interviewed me. I told him we wanted to live in the Eastern Suburbs, Warrendyte or maybe in the Dandenongs. He went berserk. He told me there were plenty of lovely area near the hospital in Epping and advised we lived in one of the following:

Mill Park

Thomastown

Whittlesea

South Morrang

Or (and this is my favourite bit) being that we have a dog, we could go rural and live in.....BUNDOORA.

So we were pleased. A shorter commute and nice areas near Epping. AND THEN WE ARRIVED.....

We looked around the areas we were expected to live in and our hearts sank. Those that know Melbourne will know where I am coming from. Thomastown is not palmed fringed beaches and turquoise waters.

But we got scared....its hard arriving in a new country sponsored by a company...jobs were hard to come by...what if they sacked us for living too far away (I was on a 6 month trial period after all).....So we didn't risk it. We agreed a contract for a house in Greensborough (just away from the areas suggested but not so far away to cause outrage)

Nobody contacted me after we had our initial meeting. On my first day at work I was shocked to discover that the ward could not actually be opened because there were not enough nurse employed. I discovered that there were HCA's (by another name) and that foreign workers had been given relocation expenses. Once the ward opened I went into a new team on an old ward that did not cost millions of dollars. During my time there there were always vacancies for nurses and continual new recruits from overseas.

I believe the nurse wanted us to live in the catchment area of the hospital in the hopes that we would not live somewhere nice and then move to work in a different hospital near a nice area..

After 3 months I was told that the company did not sponsor residency until 6 months (and this meant start the process which effectively meant it would be 9 months until it was granted)

No bitterness on my part.

It's just a true story.

Be careful.

Sometimes Palmed Fringed Beaches turn out to Drug Infested Thomastowns.

Edited by blobby1000

Ooh been waiting for more updates from you Blobby.

i don't know anything about nursing in Oz, but hopefully your post will give food for thought for anyone about to embark on the same route.

it is v easy to be lured into the myths of Oz and I agree that it is annoying when you hear about the relocation expenses some people get, while others like ourselves have to suck it up.

as I say I don't know anything about the nurse recruiting side of things but do you think your problems were started from going with the agency you went with? I know you can do your PR first, then come out, is an agency the only other option? Or can you get sponsorship straight from a certain hospital?

Did the changes to where you would be working come about after contract signed?

it certainly comes across that you weren't treated v fairly, looking back do you think there is anything you could have done, that may help someone else who may be in the same boat so to speak.

Does Melbs really smell?

Its a real problem if people have not been to Aus before. I had not been but I was a free agent and could go where I liked. When family is involved its very very different.

It really makes me unhappy that they pick up people like a loaf of bread these days and change their work, where they work etc at the drop of a hat. Caring about workers has disappeared off the radar, they are widgits with a price.

People put such store on getting a job before they come but your experience shows this not really a good way to do it. If in an occupation like mental health where we have chronic shortage best to get your own job. Lets face it the highest problems with mental health are in areas where there is mortgage, rental and unemployment stress.

You did end up living in a nice place though.

Your post is why I tell people, its very very very different here.

Its like me looking at the ad for one of the top cities in the world and thinking that I would be living in a top area, for most of us we live in ordinary land which bears no resemblance to advertisements.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Good post....just beware the glossy TV shows that bear no resemble licence to actually living and working in oz.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

I did consider going the sponsored route ( 457) and than decided against it,we are moving as a family of 4 and it would have been too big a risk. As a result of that we are STILL waiting for our PR visa but the wait will be worth it for the peace of mind IMO. Hope you`re doing well back in UK.

IELTS: L 9, R 7.5, W 8.0, S 8.5 overall 8.5

Visa lodged June 27th!, CO July 26th

AHPRA sent July 2nd, LOE August 1st

Perhaps you could contact either an Australian media outlet (ACA or 60 minutes) or the UK equivalent (The Sunday Sport or Zoo) and see if they're interested?

TBH it sounds like you got well and truly done over by good ole fashioned Aussie bull$hit, which has a LOT to answer for IMO. How about persuing legal advice?

My Brain Hurts!

One of the main reasons we didn't come on sponsorship was that we wouldn't be tied to something that we didn't like. Having the freedom to walk away and do other things has always been a bonus

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Absolutely would not of come on a sponsorship visa either. It was PR or nothing for us with a family. Research research research then research some more . Good luck for the future Blobby I hope it all works out for you and your family.

To be fair although the 457 route can come unstuck, it's not all bad and it can depend how you look at it.

We have come on that visa, we researched Perth and was pretty sure it seemed like somewhere we could live but then again nothing is 100 per cent.

The company paid for visa and flight only. We have rented out UK house, only brought a move cube with us, waited 6 months to see how things were going before bring dogs over. So all in all it took a lot less time and money to get here.

A kinda off try before you buy type of scenario.

We have been v lucky, we have landed in the palm tree/beach on doorstep/sunshine most days life and are loving it.

We are now applying for PR which the company is paying for so hopefully will be around for a long time yet but if it hadn't had worked out, we could have walked away and slipped back into our old life's quite easily and just looked at it as a extended holiday.

So although people can be messed about by companies as has been shown, you can also use the 457 to your advantage, as a way of getting here quickly and without the costs of pr cos the one thing no one can be sure about is whatever visa you are on, you just might find Oz isn't the place for you.

Good post Blobby. Sorry it didn't work out for you guys. I also came on a 457 with a 3 month PR promise that never materialised and funnily enough didn't end up working on the ward I was initially offered. Worked out well though as it expanded my experience in a new speciality. I gave up on the hospital and we applied for PR independently after 9 months. The week before it was granted I interviewed for my dream job..and got it. Handed my notice in the day I got PR. Don't think they were much impressed but tough poop basically, should've kept to their side of the bargain. I'm still working in the dream job over 4 years on and life is pretty good. The gloss does fade after a while though and you do realise its not all about the sea, sun and sand. Takes hard work, a good dose of realism and commitment to making the best of it to get on here. I can't fault you for packing up though, good luck to you Blobby.

Edited by HappyHeart

It can work. We came on a 457, company picked up all the relocation, put us in a suite in a very good hotel when we arrived forna few weeks including all meals, even the bar bill. Then paid for PR. But, I also know many stories like blobby's.

People have to be very careful about coming on a 457. I knew the company I was coming to work for, one of the directors was a friend. I would not have come to a company I didn't know. Just too risky.

Hello everybody!

Now safely back in the UK I want to tell you a story. Please note, I will be naming no names (only places). This is meant entirely as a warning, something to be aware of, and not a bitter rant about our time in Australia. I wish we had been prepared. I wish we had been less naïve and I wish we had listened to either of two wonderful quotes:

"If something seems to good to be true, it probably is"

And

"There's no such thing as a free lunch"

Anyway, have a read, it might help you out if you are considering a move down under...just a few things to consider:

I'm a mental health nurse. We have 2 kids, who were 3 and 6 months when we left the UK. We fancied a change and we fancied a better life. I answered an advert in The Nursing Standard...you know the type...palm fringed beaches, blues skies...turquoise waters...."Come here and have a better life etc" So I applied.

I was given an interview by the agent who told me a few key things:

*Nobody pays relocation costs to Australia because jobs are over subscribed

*Its very difficult to get a mental health nursing job in Australia as it is so popular but they may be able to help/

They organised an interview with a chap in Melbourne for a job at "The prestigious Royal Melbourne Hospital in the City" and he offered me a job.

During the interview for the job I was told a few key things:

*There are no HCAs (these an unqualified nurses....more qualified equals easier work as more expertise, so this was sold to me as a big advantage).

*I would be going into an established team.

*Brand new multi-million dollar ward.

*Sponsorship for Permanent Residency within 3 months.

I accepted the job. No hesitation.

We got our visa. We shipped our goods.

Prior to leaving I was informed that I would not be working at "The Royal Melbourne" but rather a branch of the Royal Melbourne in Epping. Epping is probably 30km from the city, is a rough area, miles from the sea, one of the worst suburbs in Melbourne. I was not concerned. I could work there and we could live somewhere nice.

A week before departure I spoke with the nurse who interviewed me. I told him we wanted to live in the Eastern Suburbs, Warrendyte or maybe in the Dandenongs. He went berserk. He told me there were plenty of lovely area near the hospital in Epping and advised we lived in one of the following:

Mill Park

Thomastown

Whittlesea

South Morrang

Or (and this is my favourite bit) being that we have a dog, we could go rural and live in.....BUNDOORA.

So we were pleased. A shorter commute and nice areas near Epping. AND THEN WE ARRIVED.....

We looked around the areas we were expected to live in and our hearts sank. Those that know Melbourne will know where I am coming from. Thomastown is not palmed fringed beaches and turquoise waters.

But we got scared....its hard arriving in a new country sponsored by a company...jobs were hard to come by...what if they sacked us for living too far away (I was on a 6 month trial period after all).....So we didn't risk it. We agreed a contract for a house in Greensborough (just away from the areas suggested but not so far away to cause outrage)

Nobody contacted me after we had our initial meeting. On my first day at work I was shocked to discover that the ward could not actually be opened because there were not enough nurse employed. I discovered that there were HCA's (by another name) and that foreign workers had been given relocation expenses. Once the ward opened I went into a new team on an old ward that did not cost millions of dollars. During my time there there were always vacancies for nurses and continual new recruits from overseas.

I believe the nurse wanted us to live in the catchment area of the hospital in the hopes that we would not live somewhere nice and then move to work in a different hospital near a nice area..

After 3 months I was told that the company did not sponsor residency until 6 months (and this meant start the process which effectively meant it would be 9 months until it was granted)

No bitterness on my part.

It's just a true story.

Be careful.

Sometimes Palmed Fringed Beaches turn out to Drug Infested Thomastowns.

Sorry you had such a hard time Blobby but I am sure I would have just listened to the guy about the place to live and then done my own thing anyway. They don't own you and don't have any reasonable reason to request where you live. You were moving half way round the world with your family and had ideas of palm fringed beaches, you should have gone with your first instincts and lived where you wanted. You might have even settled and got to enjoy it.

Paul, actually a lot of employers of 457 with require people to live in a radius of work. Yes they do own you. For many they have given up everything they have to get to Oz. House, money, savings. There are employers exploiting this. They know that finding an alternate sponsor is hard.

How many of us can live opposite palm fringed beaches. Not bloody many. I earn several multiples of the average income but can't afford that in Perth. A nurse can forget it. They are going to see palm fringed beaches less than if they lived in the UK and took weekends away.

Paul, actually a lot of employers of 457 with require people to live in a radius of work. Yes they do own you. For many they have given up everything they have to get to Oz. House, money, savings. There are employers exploiting this. They know that finding an alternate sponsor is hard.

How many of us can live opposite palm fringed beaches. Not bloody many. I earn several multiples of the average income but can't afford that in Perth. A nurse can forget it. They are going to see palm fringed beaches less than if they lived in the UK and took weekends away.

Maybe not palm fringed VS but they are still some of the best beaches in the World mate. You live very near one judging by your last post and I've a feeling that Blobby ended up living near one before they went back. He didn't like it though for some reason.

We have managed pretty well and most of our friends, who aren't earning nearly as much as you I'm sure, are living in beachside suburbs. It would be interesting to hear back from Blobby if he was required to live in the bad suburb or he just did it because the guy from the hospital suggested it. By the sound of his post I think it's the latter.

If you earn several multiples of the average income I've no idea why you can't afford to live wherever you want.

My wife is a nurse btw.:cool:

We had a lot of years in the UK where we lived for our holidays abroad in the sun, same as a lot of people from the UK. Had a timeshare in Portugal for a few years and loved it. It was still expensive though and even though we hear about "Europe being on the doorstep" how often can your average family afford to go? Once a year maybe for 2 weeks was about the average. Now we live in a place nicer than we used to pay a fortune to go to once a year.

Edited by Paul1Perth

Yes, I live opposite a beach.

But it is a very long way from the city.

Could I afford to live anywhere? No. Well, I could do the Ozzie thing and take a mortgage the size of the debt of a national country and then complain like mad when the economy stalls and I can't afford it - my bank offered me almost 8x my income.

I am glad you are doing well. But, for most 457 holders, they are not going to be buying a million dollar house opposite the beach. Even though tv programs would have them think otherwise.

Personally, I am not a beach person. Nor a hot weather person. Have been lucky enough to have been to many of the places with amazing beaches and probably not spent more than a few days combined. At work, I can, if I chose, have a weekend at somewhere like zanzibar, but, will almost certainly never do it unless my wife comes for a visit.

How many of us can live opposite palm fringed beaches. Not bloody many. I earn several multiples of the average income but can't afford that in Perth.d t A nurse can forget it. They are going to see palm fringed beaches less than if they lived in the UK anook weekends away.

Ouch that hurt :wink:

IELTS: L 9, R 7.5, W 8.0, S 8.5 overall 8.5

Visa lodged June 27th!, CO July 26th

AHPRA sent July 2nd, LOE August 1st

excuse me but what is wrong with greenborough its where I grew up and my family home is. It's a very nice area so is whittlesea and bundoora. tho its not rural :)

excuse me but what is wrong with greenborough its where I grew up and my family home is. It's a very nice area so is whittlesea and bundoora. tho its not rural :)

I reckon Greensborough would have been lovely when you grew up there if you happen to be 30 or over. It used to be lovely apparently.

In answer to Paul1Perth and Harpodom....

The Nurse chap got quite aggressive and basically bullied us to live in an area near the hospital. It was not in the contract. I should have had more bottle. As you say, we moved to the other side of the world so nobody had the right to insist we lived somewhere. Essentially it was our own fault for not telling him that we would live wherever we chose. However, we decided to just sit out the first year, get residency and then we would be free. We actually did a lot on that first year (and, weirdly look back on that as the better of the 2 years, not because of Greensborough but because we were close to good places and saw some great things).

Harpo I don't think legal action would work, although its an interesting idea....it was more a case of unfairness and bullsh!t that I just want to draw peoples attention to. I signed a contract but it never said I would work in The Prestigious Royal Melbourne...it was just implied. There ARE no HCA's but there are Div 2 Nurses who fullfill the same role. This was just semantics. It was bullsh!t. It impied the job would be easier than it was, but it was not a lie, it was deliberately misleading but how could I prove that? In terms of relocation expenses, nobody promises me any, I signed a contract, and I didn't get any. The fact that other people do was just bad luck, dishonest and out of order of my agency/employer but again, it was in the contract so no grounds for legal action.

Also I think some of it is personal preference. I know I am going to sound smug but we came from Cheltenham. Im sorry but Mill Park is a dump compared to Cheltenham. But I know plenty of people that lived in Mill Park and liked it. I even know people that lived in Epping and liked it! Is it the recruiters fault that I am a snob! No! But I cant see why anyone would move all that way to live in one of the suburbs he suggested!!

I think it would make for an interesting documentary of a few people told these sorts of stories, but then we may get sued if we are not careful!!

Once we got residency we stopped holding a grudge, honestly....as we knew it was up to us from then on....

Edited by blobby1000

Ooh been waiting for more updates from you Blobby.

i don't know anything about nursing in Oz, but hopefully your post will give food for thought for anyone about to embark on the same route.

it is v easy to be lured into the myths of Oz and I agree that it is annoying when you hear about the relocation expenses some people get, while others like ourselves have to suck it up.

as I say I don't know anything about the nurse recruiting side of things but do you think your problems were started from going with the agency you went with? I know you can do your PR first, then come out, is an agency the only other option? Or can you get sponsorship straight from a certain hospital?

Did the changes to where you would be working come about after contract signed?

it certainly comes across that you weren't treated v fairly, looking back do you think there is anything you could have done, that may help someone else who may be in the same boat so to speak.

Does Melbs really smell?

No Melbourne is pretty good really. There are quite a few smelly suburbs but I guess that's the case for any city. Our biggest mistake was, really, we should never have gone. We were happy where we were and realised just before we left that it was a mistake. Im surprised we lasted 2 years to be honest. We do have some good memories though and at one point were certain we would stay forever.

I think we should have told my employer to f*ck off when he got aggressive with me on the phone before we left. I wish I had stood up for myself and my family but I have learned from it. He was friendly when we got over to Australia and met him, on a charm offensive he was, but he still had his agenda in terms of where we lived. I like to think nobody would ever treat me like that again and get away with it, so its a good lesson for life, so long as it doesn't come with a permanent chip on the shoulder.

I think the agency were crooks. And I would recommend waiting for P.R. for anyone. It would be so much better to not be beholden to anyone. But you can only make the right decision at that time and we were certain it would be insane to head out to Australia with no job so we felt the 457 was the best way (in fact we didn't even know there was another way).

Ouch that hurt :wink:

Ouch ... I felt it to, being a lowly nurse too ... Is there no hope for us - we're destined to live in poverty. I'll just have to make do with my palm fringed pool instead.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

I did consider going the sponsored route ( 457) and than decided against it,we are moving as a family of 4 and it would have been too big a risk. As a result of that we are STILL waiting for our PR visa but the wait will be worth it for the peace of mind IMO. Hope you`re doing well back in UK.

Absolutely would not of come on a sponsorship visa either. It was PR or nothing for us with a family. Research research research then research some more . Good luck for the future Blobby I hope it all works out for you and your family.

I don't susbscribe to the view that 457s are too risky if you have a family. It depends on your personal circumstances (how old your family is, what you do for work etc) and what you are coming here for IMO

We are here (family of 4 now, although we were 3 when we moved) on a 457, and wouldn't have come any other way. Why? Principally because we are not here, primarily, to emigrate or create a "new life". We're here because I was offered a job that looked interesting and we fancied a change. We may end up staying, we may not, whether we do or not is really not that important to us. So therefore the risk of losing one's job and having to go home isn't really much of a risk at all - at worst we'll do just that, go home.

Having said that, if my kids were teenagers I probably would have thought twice, but then I'd think twice about moving teenage kids on any visa. I do feel for those unfortunates who come here on 457s with 16 yr old kids and then find they have to cough up for international student fees for their kids when they go to Uni, even if their kids go home to the UK to do it. Or if they can't afford that, then they've stuffed their kids' education options up completely in moving here.

No Melbourne is pretty good really. There are quite a few smelly suburbs but I guess that's the case for any city. Our biggest mistake was, really, we should never have gone. We were happy where we were and realised just before we left that it was a mistake. Im surprised we lasted 2 years to be honest. We do have some good memories though and at one point were certain we would stay forever.

I think we should have told my employer to f*ck off when he got aggressive with me on the phone before we left. I wish I had stood up for myself and my family but I have learned from it. He was friendly when we got over to Australia and met him, on a charm offensive he was, but he still had his agenda in terms of where we lived. I like to think nobody would ever treat me like that again and get away with it, so its a good lesson for life, so long as it doesn't come with a permanent chip on the shoulder.

I think the agency were crooks. And I would recommend waiting for P.R. for anyone. It would be so much better to not be beholden to anyone. But you can only make the right decision at that time and we were certain it would be insane to head out to Australia with no job so we felt the 457 was the best way (in fact we didn't even know there was another way).

Thanks for replying blobby. It's good that you are telling this story as it will give a heads up to a few people. As a nurse mate I'm surprised you didn't know there was a chance you would get in on a PR visa, didn't the agency tell you about that option? When we came out it was dire for jobs in just about everything, middle of a bad recession here and the UK. My wife couldn't get anyone to commit to giving her a job from the UK but had sent her resume off to just about every hospital in Perth.

We had been here about a week and she rang Royal Perth up, they asked her to go in for a chat and she came out with a job and started the following week. The only reason they don't generally offer jobs is that they've been let down by people just not turning up or changing their mind about coming but not letting anyone know.

Thanks for replying blobby. It's good that you are telling this story as it will give a heads up to a few people. As a nurse mate I'm surprised you didn't know there was a chance you would get in on a PR visa, didn't the agency tell you about that option? When we came out it was dire for jobs in just about everything, middle of a bad recession here and the UK. My wife couldn't get anyone to commit to giving her a job from the UK but had sent her resume off to just about every hospital in Perth.

We had been here about a week and she rang Royal Perth up, they asked her to go in for a chat and she came out with a job and started the following week. The only reason they don't generally offer jobs is that they've been let down by people just not turning up or changing their mind about coming but not letting anyone know.

The agency clearly only sorted people out on 457s.

Its our own fault we didn't look into PR

I was never complaining on this thread (although I certainly did at the time).

Its just a reminder to people to keep their eyes open and their brains in gear and not to fall for the palm fringed bulsh!t talk

What the OP tells me, is don't come on a sponsored visa.

Come independently if at all possible and have the freedom to choose where to live and not be tied to an employer or a location.