register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

terriokane

Cairns - job, new friends, houseshare, regional work

Hi all,

We only arrived in cairns a few days ago and things here are much like home (Ireland)...tough! Employment here isn't looking good but hopefully something will come up. We are both graduates, I'm in Business and my boyfriend is in Marine Science however as we are on working holiday visas we know it will be hard to get work in these areas. We are currently trying to find regional work, although we have only been here one month (time has flew) we want to get our regional work done early (especially when this is an oz winter-summer will be terrible for us irish lol).

Also we are finding it hard to get a houseshare as apparently cairns is very demanding for house and they go quick. We have tried gumtree, real estate, domain etc but because we are looking for our regional work we don't want to commit to a long term lease and most short term's are for a month at the minimum. Hostels are also expensive for a couple even in a dorm therefore a houseshare would be more suited.

Has anyone any advice on jobs, regional work, houseshares or just general info for us. Would also be great to meet some new people if anyone is in cairns CBD region.

Thanks in advance

Terri and Conan :)

Most people on whv don't end up working in their field as most employers want longer than six months. It might be time to change what type of work you are looking for.

Has two beautiful Aussie little girls :-)

Hi Terri , I'm in a shared house on Martyn street and I know she has a vacant room , the lady advertises on gum tree pm me and I'll send you the llink thanks phil