Driving to Sydney and back in a weekend!

d4ddyc00l

Our four dogs left today with Petair, and fly out tomorrow night bound for Sydney quarantine.

We should be able to pick them up on Sunday 7th July, so the plan is to drive over on the Friday night/Saturday morning. We'd then stop over in Sydney Saturday night, pick them up Sunday morning and drive back to Melbourne.

I'd be back at work the next morning (week 2 of new job!) so I just wanted to know what people's thoughts are about this. On paper it sounds OK but the reality may be a different matter. I'm an experienced driver, and can quite happily do 4-5 hours between stops. Looking at the map, it seems like Albury may be a good halfway point to stop for an hour or two.

I'm definitely not flying them back - already spent over £10k on getting them over so if there's anywhere I can save money I'm going to do it!

Why not? You'll be knackered and it's as boring as batshit but of course, people do it all the time. If there are two of you driving its good to do 2 on 2 off and a whole lot easier than doing it on your own. Ball park it's going to take you around 10 hrs driving depending on the traffic. From memory Tarcutta is half way but IIRC they've duplicated most, if not all the NSW part of the road now and you by pass pretty much everywhere (I've been gone a while!). The Vic part has been dual carriage way for years but some parts of the Hume in NSW used to be lethal. I wouldn't be doing 5 hour stretches because it is so boring but take small breaks every 2 hrs but that's just me (and loo stops are few and far between so take advantage when you can LOL)

We flew our 2 labs down from Sydney to Melbourne 18 months ago - we did look into driving but by the time we had weighed up fuel costs/stopovers etc there wasn't much difference in the price.

The flight was an hour or so and we felt it was fairer on the dogs to get it over and done with quickly rather than having them in the car for that length of time.

If you have 4 then it might work out far more expensive though - have you had some quotes?

Guest chris955

As Quoll said you certainly can do it but its a long very boring drive and keep a very close eye on the speedo, the cops are lets just say enthusiastic ;)

The drive up to Sydney is easy - motorways pretty much the whole way.

But as others have said - definitely take breaks more often than every 4 hours!!! (Remember you'll need to account for the moron factor - i.e. keep alert so you can avoid morons on the road)

Depending on what side of Melbourne you're coming on, I'd probably break the journey at Wangaratta or Benalla, then the other side of Albury etc etc.

And remember that once you cross the border the quality of the coffee can be unreliable .....