Moving back to England - school dilemma

AnnieS

Hi. We've been in Oz for 6 years now & have an opportunity to go back with work. My biggest worry (amongst many others) is schooling for the kids. My oldest son is turning 10 this December and is in grade 3. We had the option to defer him for a year before starting prep and it was the best decision ever. My youngest son is turning 7 this June and is currently in grade 1. The school they go to is a private prep to year 12. It is a really really good school. I like the fact we don't have to worry about High School years.

I'm now wondering how the kids would adjust to the British system where kids start school as early as 4 years old. What grade would they be in? There's NO we could afford a private school in England. Any info would be really appreciated.

I moved to the UK when my aussie kids were 9 and 11.Neither went to private schools in Oz or the UK.Both adjusted well to the move.We contacted the relevant schools before we moved so they were expecting us.They were also kind enough to send info to us which was reassuring,before we left Australia.Both adjusted really well actually without any hiccups.Both also went on to very good careers!x(They're now 23 and 26)

I moved to the UK when my aussie kids were 9 and 11.Neither went to private schools in Oz or the UK.Both adjusted well to the move.We contacted the relevant schools before we moved so they were expecting us.They were also kind enough to send info to us which was reassuring,before we left Australia.Both adjusted really well actually without any hiccups.Both also went on to very good careers!x(They're now 23 and 26)

Sadly the system has changed now. Schools are no longer even allowed to say if they have a space it all has to go through council. All ludicrous. I found trying to move into another area very difficult. I had 2 jobs and trying to findschools to get kids in to for either was nigh impossible. I could get them into Ofsted 4 (lowest) and even then probably not the same schools.

Obviously every area is differant and i'm sure that if the above hurdle is overcome they will settle just fine. I moved around laods as a kid as we were a military family. Always made friends and never struggled with curriculumn

Guest chris955

Our Aussie born kids started secondary school last September and have both taken to it very well, they are both at the top end, have made really good friends and adjusted well, they were 10. They did about 6 weeks in the village primary and they suggested the secondary which has great reports and getting them in was simple, in fact the lady at the primary did everything for us. They should be absolutely fine.

Guest chris955

We had no trouble finding out if there were spaces in the school we chose, it just took a phone call which the lovely admin lady at the village school made.

Sadly the system has changed now. Schools are no longer even allowed to say if they have a space it all has to go through council. All ludicrous. I found trying to move into another area very difficult. I had 2 jobs and trying to findschools to get kids in to for either was nigh impossible. I could get them into Ofsted 4 (lowest) and even then probably not the same schools.

Obviously every area is differant and i'm sure that if the above hurdle is overcome they will settle just fine. I moved around laods as a kid as we were a military family. Always made friends and never struggled with curriculumn

We had no trouble finding out if there were spaces in the school we chose, it just took a phone call which the lovely admin lady at the village school made.

Same as us HWB,very straight forward I have to say!I made the call whilst I was still in Oz!lol

i think either you were very lucky or we've been very unlucky.

tried to move closer to my work in Truro only schools available 2 x ofsted 4 couldn't get the 2 of school age into the same school.

Went for a job in Leicester looked at schools around Market Harborough wasy thrtough to Northampton, couldn't find a good school that had spaces.

went for a job in Stratford Upon Avon only offered level 4 schools agsin difficult to get kids into same school locally nearest option was 15 miles out which would have negated the point as i currently live that far from work.

so same in 3 differant areas of the country and also had a chouce to move to Essex near friends but again no good options available.

village schools tend to be eadier but imo they are too small and tend not to offer the senco proivision that larger schools do

We came back when my youngest was 11. She had just finished year 5 in Aus and had to go into year 7 here. All the others had had a term to get used to senior school and she did struggle for a while. Your sons won't have that to deal with, but they may find the jump from grade 1/3 to year 3/5 quite big, but kids are more adaptable than we give them credit for (we moved from Perth when ours were 9, 7 and 5, then to Sydney when they were 14, 12 and 10 for a year and they all coped really well).

Schools are usually quite good at helping children settle and adapt, so don't worry too much (easier said than done, I know!). We also had no problem finding places for our younger two - all three we approached could take both of them. It was 10 years ago, but I know there's still no problem with finding spaces at them now.

As you have been offered work im sure you have an idea of areas you wish to live in. You can check online regarding the performance of the schools, look at the OFSTED reports. I currently live in the UK and did this for my daughter which helped in the decision for the school. You can also contact the local council to find out the catchment area for schools. However, as stated on an earlier thread they do not tell you about places available!

​Public schools are good and many high achieving even as good as some private schools, obviously there are some that are not but researching the reports will give you a good indication. As a parent its always worrying hoping your children adapt, but i have found my fears have been quickly laid to rest :)....kids are very resilient and very adaptable. Good luck with your move back x

Thanks everyone for your replies. We're deciding between Truro & Farnham/Surrey. Truro didn't sound very good from what I read in the thread. The thing that worries me most is that our kids are academically behind and my oldest son already suffers from low self-esteem. Just wonder how he will cope with that. Did you guys have to give your kids extra tuition to make up for jumping the grades? Sounds like my oldest would have 1 year in primary and then move on to secondary. Problem about OFSTED is that it mainly relates to academic achievement just like NAPLAN. I'm concerned with how a school approaches the 'whole child' (not just academic results), which they do so beautifully here in Australia. Sounds like we have to decide on the area first!!!! Not easy.

Guest chris955

We havent noticed any difference in the approach in this school or the boys school in Australia, they are in a smaller class here so they theoretically get more time with the teacher. I think in both countries it depends on the area, the school, the teachers.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We're deciding between Truro & Farnham/Surrey. Truro didn't sound very good from what I read in the thread. The thing that worries me most is that our kids are academically behind and my oldest son already suffers from low self-esteem. Just wonder how he will cope with that. Did you guys have to give your kids extra tuition to make up for jumping the grades? Sounds like my oldest would have 1 year in primary and then move on to secondary. Problem about OFSTED is that it mainly relates to academic achievement just like NAPLAN. I'm concerned with how a school approaches the 'whole child' (not just academic results), which they do so beautifully here in Australia. Sounds like we have to decide on the area first!!!! Not easy.

I know Farnham very well - beautiful place.Good schools and I have friends that teach at a couple of them. Truro is gorgeous too, though you may find it easier to settle in Farnham.

Ours didn't have extra tuition and have been fine. Our youngest has always had self esteem/confidence issues, although they are disappearing now, aged 14. I honestly don't think you need to worry too much.

We knew which area we were moving to, so I looked at schools in that area to make a short list from. I read loads of OFSTED reports (when you've read lots, you learn to read between the lines and see what they're actually saying!). You can't make a decision based just on those though. When we arrived, I took the girls to have a look at the ones on the shortlist and got a feel for each one. I discussed the year differences with the headteachers to see how they would cope with them.

Our middle one wasn't an issue as she'd only gone from year 2 to 3 and went straight in at the top of the class. Our youngest had only done preprimary in Aus and would have been in year 1 in the UK, however the headteacher let her have her first term in reception, so she could get to grips with the basics. By the end of that first year she was at the same level as her peers.

Will you be in the UK for the start of the next academic year in Sept? If so, won't your oldest be going into year 5 here? If that's the case he'll have two years in primary before high school. There is such a wide ability range in most schools, I'm sure he'll be fine. You'll probably find the boys adapt more quickly than you - that's what happened in my case!!

I know Farnham very well - beautiful place.Good schools and I have friends that teach at a couple of them. Truro is gorgeous too, though you may find it easier to settle in Farnham.

Why? Does it feel too remote down there?

Why? Does it feel too remote down there?

No, it's just that Farnham may be more welcoming and not have such a clique feel. I do love Truro, it is stunning, but it could well be at least 20 years before you will be accepted as semi local ( no offense to any Truroites here intended).

Farnham has a mix of young,old and new. It is also easily accessible, less than an hour, to London ( if that is of any relevance/need to you) and yet there is an abundance of beautiful countryside around.

Just thinking about it on Sunday afternoon ( here in oz) is making me wish we could go over to Tilford ( vllage nearby) and have a leisurely drink in the country pub there and watch the ducks.

I must be getting old :) - but I went to uni in Surrey and loved it there.

, they are in a smaller class here so they theoretically get more time with the teacher.

In that case you are very lucky and in the minority.

Vic average is 20 students per class with a maximum of 28.

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/about/department/statsvicschbrochure.pdf

Uk schools have about 25-26 average (page 11) and a ks1 maximum of 30(page16). It's had to find what you need in the 72 pages, it looks and reads like a politician talks. Lots of extra words & confusing graphs, hoping you won't find the truth amongst the bumph.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/183364/DFE-RR169.pdf

I regularly had 31-32 in my secondary classes upto 2009. The maximum I had was 33, as I only had 32 seats I had to hope one was away, otherwise I had to steal the technicians stool from the prep room and sit them at my desk.

Edited by dmjg
Wrong link!

Guest chris955

No, not lucky and we didnt live in Victoria. This is more relevant to our situation.

http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/class-sizes-soar-as-staffing-changes-hit-queenslands-state-primary-schools/story-e6freoof-1226572147319

In that case you are very lucky and in the minority.

Vic average is 20 students per class with a maximum of 28.

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/about/department/statsvicschbrochure.pdf

Uk schools have about 25-26 average (page 11) and a ks1 maximum of 30(page16). It's had to find what you need in the 72 pages, it looks and reads like a politician talks. Lots of extra words & confusing graphs, hoping you won't find the truth amongst the bumph.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/183364/DFE-RR169.pdf

I regularly had 31-32 in my secondary classes upto 2009. The maximum I had was 33, as I only had 32 seats I had to hope one was away, otherwise I had to steal the technicians stool from the prep room and sit them at my desk.

Edited by homewardbound588

Thanks everyone for your replies. We're deciding between Truro & Farnham/Surrey. Truro didn't sound very good from what I read in the thread. The thing that worries me most is that our kids are academically behind.

I think you will find Truro has excellent schools, I don't think you should use threads to decide between places. I would choose Truro and Cornwall anyday over Surrey unless you need to be close to London, Truro having both excellent state and private schools and state of the art college. As for education Australia which is academicly behind the UK, since returning my daughter has managed to catch up with school work and Cornwall is a great place to go to school and grow up!

I think you will find Truro has excellent schools, I don't think you should use threads to decide between places. I would choose Truro and Cornwall anyday over Surrey unless you need to be close to London, Truro having both excellent state and private schools and state of the art college. As for education Australia which is academicly behind the UK, since returning my daughter has managed to catch up with school work and Cornwall is a great place to go to school and grow up!

It is also, along with Devon, the most beautiful area of the UK (IMHO). Had we stayed in the UK, we would have chosen to live in Devon, but within striking distance of Cornwall. Cornwall was difficult for jobs unless you were in tourism or the public sector but if there were the jobs there, we would have chosen it like a shot. Truro is lovely!

Farnham has an internationally renowned art college :)