Should I count on Tassie student to PR route when just starting uni now?

fiftyeight

Hi, I plan to start Uni. in July in Tasmania, I applied for a student visa both to Canada and Australia, just in case (Been accepted to one uni. in both).

I love both countries and been to them and this is a very hard decision for me, because wherever I go I'll probably and up staying if possible. but I want to increase my chances as much as possible.

There is a PR route in Tassie which seems very promosing: Migrating to Tasmania | Subclass 190

The conditions are graduating from a Tasmanian Institution and 3 months work experience.

But how volatile are the visa rules in Australia/Tasmania?

Is it probable that this visa route will be closed by the time I finish Uni which will be in three/four years, or that my major (IT) will fall off the Skilled Occupation List?

I don't know if I should count on that, of course I'd like to study abroad even if it gives me no path to PR, but this is still a big deal for me and if I'd find that I'll be able to immigrate to Oz after the end of my studies I'll be the happiest man on earth smile.gif

Thank you for any advice on this

Edited by fiftyeight

I think it is highly unlikely that studies in IT will lead to PR in Australia. The visa you have mentioned requires a skills assessment and all IT skills assessments require several years of work experience which you are not going to have at the end if your studies.

I think the only way you might eventually get PR through a student visa will be very roundabout, like if you happen to meet an Australian partner whilst you are here or if you manage to persuade an employer to sponsor you and eventually get PR that way.

Hi, the visa I linked to from the Tasmania immigration office shows a pathway for Tasmanian institution graduates which demands only 3 months work experience.

My main concern is actually that they will change the immigration rules, I hope someone

who has some experience can tell me how volatile the immigration rules in Australia are,

and how likely is this to happen.

Edited by fiftyeight

Hi, the visa I linked to from the Tasmania immigration office shows a pathway for Tasmanian institution graduates which demands only 3 months work experience.

My main concern is actually that they will change the immigration rules, I hope someone

who has some experience can tell me how volatile the immigration rules in Australia are,

Getting the 3 months work experience post graduation can become a tough experience. Employers can be reluctant to hire someone who is not a PR and someone who is also a graduate with no or little experience. However, if you are able to secure an internship while studying it may lead to better chances. Look at Universities that promote an internship of some sort because believe me it can be very hard to obtain work experience in any given field.

As for the immigration rules changing we cannot predict what will happen. Skill Select seems to fix a lot of problems that plagued the immigration office so it may stay a while. You can only apply by invitation only and therefore DIMIA can control the number of people from a certain field in any given year. Read up on job opportunities in Australia in IT. I have read that there are a lot of IT employees that are having difficulty finding jobs - this may change in the future.

All the best in your studies.

Thanx a lot for the reply, this problem I think will be in Canada as well, I'm mainly trying to think which country is more likely to chnage its laws, or just how likely is oz to change its laws.

My heart says Oz, I just love that country, but it's scary to think I might not be able to stay after my studies

Edited by fiftyeight

No Tasmania requires only 3 months work experience in order for them to give you state nomination required for the visa. You still need to meet all of DIAC requirements for the visa. http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-190/ which includes a skills assessment and requires 60 points, state nomination only gives you 5.

No Tasmania requires only 3 months work experience in order for them to give you state nomination required for the visa. You still need to meet all of DIAC requirements for the visa. http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-190/ which includes a skills assessment and requires 60 points, state nomination only gives you 5.

Hi, thanx for the clarification,

I believe I can get 65, or even 70 points (30 for age, 10 for IELTS, 5 for Regional area studies, 15 for Bachelor Degree, 5 points for State nomination, and if I work there 1 year than another 5 points).

Maybe I can even get the IELTS to a better score and get another 10 points)

Edited by fiftyeight

I came on a student visa. The rules changed a week before I could apply for pr (that was for the required work experience for a student, so I would disregard that part). That rule change just put me back a year and $4200. Three months later the rules changed again. Then my only option was employer sponsored. And that is nowhere near as easy as people make out. From the time the rules changed it took me three years to get pr. Those were the most stressful three years of my life. Being in limbo, just waiting for them to shut every door on me.

Australia are trying to discourage people from coming here on a student visa and then staying. They are even refusing some student visas on the ground that the applicants do not have enough ties overseas to want to leave at the end of their course.

I recommend NOT coming on a student visa unless you are very happy to leave. Other people on my course had to leave, mamany other people I spoke to online had to leave since those rule changes. Save yourself the stress.

Hi, thanx for the clarification,

I believe I can get 65, or even 70 points (30 for age, 10 for IELTS, 5 for Regional area studies, 15 for Bachelor Degree, 5 points for State nomination, and if I work there 1 year than another 5 points).

Maybe I can even get the IELTS to a better score and get another 10 points)

But have you checked what you need to pass the skills assessment? You can't apply without that.

If you look at the job you would be applying for there should be a code for the place which does the skills assessment for each job. Find that then go to their website and see if they list it there. Some do, some don't.

Hi, I found the website and it sounds like I could do it.

It sounds like you just need a degree.

Does that sound right?

I'd also love to hear more opinions of whether it's more common in Oz or Canada for students to be let down by visa law changes if anyone knows.

Hi, thanx for your message.

I did not check this, can you tell me where I can get this information?

The IT applications are most commonly assessed by ACS. However as mentioned in post #2, the skills assessment is quite a demanding one and will require several year of work experience.

The IT applications are most commonly assessed by ACS. However as mentioned in post #2, the skills assessment is quite a demanding one and will require several year of work experience.

According to this: http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria.pdf

Recent Oz graduates are exempt from work experience.

This plan is getting very dependant on the current immigration laws though.

I'll probably first have to apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) or Skilled - Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa so I can get the 3 months work experience.

Hi, I found the website and it sounds like I could do it.

It sounds like you just need a degree.

Does that sound right?

I'd also love to hear more opinions of whether it's more common in Oz or Canada for students to be let down by visa law changes if anyone knows.

There is no such thing as 'common' for students to be let down by visa laws. They don't change very often. As I said, my skills assessment requirement was the first thing that changed. It went from 900 hours work experience to 900, plus another year, in which time they come and watch you work etc. Lots of people were annoyed with trades people not having to have the same work experience as other people. In my opinion, and from seeing a change in students towards IT, it won't be long before the same thing happens.

There is no such thing as 'common' for students to be let down by visa laws. They don't change very often. As I said, my skills assessment requirement was the first thing that changed. It went from 900 hours work experience to 900, plus another year, in which time they come and watch you work etc. Lots of people were annoyed with trades people not having to have the same work experience as other people. In my opinion, and from seeing a change in students towards IT, it won't be long before the same thing happens.

Thanx for your responses, could you tell me a bit what else went wrong? what did they change?

Also, could anyone tell me, once I finish my studies and I want to apply for the Skilled - Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa or the Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485),

do I get to stay in Australia until there is a decision? I mean the student visa ends about two months after study ends, what if they dont have a decision by the time my student visa expires?

Also, the Temporary Graduate Visa Post-Study Work stream says "for international students who graduate with an eligible qualification. This stream is only available to students who applied for and were granted their first Student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years, depending on the qualification".

It doesn't seem to say anything about the Skilled Occupation List, do you get this visa regardless of your study subject?

Response to your new post which was closed before I submitted it.

Three years is a long time, anything could happen, a couple of years ago they changed the rules on how long overseas students could stay post graduation (is this the graduate temporary visa you mention?) and a lot of students who had started courses (at great expense because they thought it would lead to PR) ended up having to return to there home countries.

i doubt there are any more certainties in Canada but I do know there have been a lot of changes with Australian immigration law and I don't think the changes are over yet - there is quite a lot of anti-immigration sentiment at the moment and the government will no doubt have a knee jerk reaction to that.

Assuming nothing changes, I don't quite follow how you will have enough experience to apply for a skilled visa. I would also not even consider that they may sponsor an off-list occupation, I wouldn't read it as WILL I would read it as CAN.

I'd do your degree in the UK where you won't cop overseas student fees and apply to Australia when you have sufficient experience to be considered skilled. Australia will still be here in 5 years :) Unless of course you can easily afford it and want the adventure of being a student overseas in which case fill your boots and enjoy :) It may or may not lead to PR & quite frankly after 3 years here you may no longer want it!

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

I'd do your degree in the UK where you won't cop overseas student fees and apply to Australia when you have sufficient experience to be considered skilled. Australia will still be here in 5 years :) Unless of course you can easily afford it and want the adventure of being a student overseas in which case fill your boots and enjoy :) It may or may not lead to PR & quite frankly after 3 years here you may no longer want it!

Now that is good advice.

Exactly what I am doing now, It is fantastic advice and actually, Uni in the UK has so far for me; been great.

I've done 2 out of 4 years already and it has flown buy, as was said, Australia will still be there in 4-5 years so it might be worth staying in the UK to do your studying and then move over?

I know it is tough when you want to be in Australia NOW, but great advice has been given here.

Whatever you decide; good luck.

Response to your new post which was closed before I submitted it.

Three years is a long time, anything could happen, a couple of years ago they changed the rules on how long overseas students could stay post graduation (is this the graduate temporary visa you mention?) and a lot of students who had started courses (at great expense because they thought it would lead to PR) ended up having to return to there home countries.

i doubt there are any more certainties in Canada but I do know there have been a lot of changes with Australian immigration law and I don't think the changes are over yet - there is quite a lot of anti-immigration sentiment at the moment and the government will no doubt have a knee jerk reaction to that.

Assuming nothing changes, I don't quite follow how you will have enough experience to apply for a skilled visa. I would also not even consider that they may sponsor an off-list occupation, I wouldn't read it as WILL I would read it as CAN.

Thanx a lot for your advice.

I wanted to be a student overseas way before I though about PR, I travelled not long ago in Oz and Canada and liked both of them and thought it would be nice to have a chance at PR.

I agree that there's a chance after 3 years I won't even want to stay in Oz.

As for the student graduate visa change, what change did they do?

It seems like the only change has been for the better, i.e they made it easier to get a student visa by adding the post study work stream.

As for the experience, my plan was to get a year experience while I'm in Oz.

If you look at the categories in the points test, experience in Oz gives you 5 points even with one year experience. I wanted to get it while I'm on the graduate visa or 489 visa. I'm not sure if work experience is obligatory. I could probably get 65 points even without the work experience (Bachelor degree 15, 30 for my age, 10 for IELTS, 5 for studying in Oz, 5 for studying in regional area)

If I score higher IELTS than could get to 75.

As you said before, this could all change by the time I finish, but that's just how I would do it if I finished my degree now.

By the way, Canada I feel is safer beaus they didn't touch the student visa rules in the alst 4 years as it appears and if they did, it was to make it easier.

Also the equivalent of the Skilled Occupation list is much broader and doesn't seem to change so much

Thank you again

Edited by fiftyeight

By student graduate visa, do you mean the 485?

If so, the changes to this visa in the last few years are that you can now only get it if your job is on the sol, not the csol.

Also, it lasts for different amounts of time now depending on the course you do. It used to just be a straight 18 months, but for certain courses it is now longer. Other than that, THAT visa has pretty much remained untouched.

Bear in mind too that Aus may well have a change of government in September and anything could happen with respect to migration pathways. I don't think there is any such thing as a sure student to PR pathway, it's a huge expensive risk but if you have lots of money to spare then go for it.

Bear in mind too that Aus may well have a change of government in September and anything could happen with respect to migration pathways. I don't think there is any such thing as a sure student to PR pathway, it's a huge expensive risk but if you have lots of money to spare then go for it.

Yes, that's true, it also seems (according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_federal_election,_2013#Polling) that "the Coalition" is about to win.

And from what I see they're more anti-immigration and I read on their website that they intend to cut immigration from 28K to 17K per year.

Edited by fiftyeight