The wait goes on... what would you do?

Guest Nelson

Guest Nelson

Hi Peeps... We're STILL waiting to exchange contracts on our house and were desparately hoping all would be done and dusted by mid-August. I just had a call to say that the people buying our house are on holiday from 5th - 19th August and the people buying their house have only just got round to having the survey done tomorrow. This seems to have been going on for a lifetime and I feel like I'm drowning in self-pity and boredom. Gollywobbler might be able to help me here - does anyone know if we can still exchange contracts even if one of the parties is away??? I'm soooooooooooo desparate and the children are driving me absolutely bonkers......

Any advice, or just a kind word, would make all the difference just now :cry:

Cheers...

Feel for you Krista,

Our house has only been on the market for a couple of weeks, but want to be off now we have our visa. Realistically, don't think we'll see much movement before end of school holidays, then hopefully things will start shifting. Just as one wait ends (visa), another starts (house), still I'm sure we'll appreciate everything all the more when we get there.

Not much help but lots of hugs

Ali x

Guest forshac

Krista,

I know exactly what this situation is like.

We had the easiest chain ever!! and still it took forever.

eg. we were supposed to complete end of June...It went on until July 22nd. Both my Husband and I finished work on the 14th of July and we still had not exchanged and the shippers were arriving the following Monday!! I cannot tell you how much stress this caused...We literally called the estate agents, solicitors about 5 times a day it became anational sport, but this was the only way to get them to pull their finger out!

But it all came together after effing and jeffing...

Keep focused as it does come together I promise!

Guest Nelson

Well, Forshac, at 8.00 this morning I booked a holiday.. I just think we might as well remove ourselves from the situation altogether and then, hopefully, when we get back, we'll be further down the line! The stress levels are almost overwhelming! I'm normally the most chilled out person in the world!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Krista

It is a curious thing about house-buying/selling. People ALWAYS seem to go on holiday in the middle of the process. God knows why, but they do. Furthermore, people who have never been further than Butlins before suddenly decide that now is the right moment for that kayaking trip down the Limpopo River that they've always dreamt about....

Back home in Blighty, the whole chain is ready to exchange contracts but self dares not risk it. Not only can I not contact my guys by any means known to mankind, I cannot take a chance on whether or not they've been eaten by a blinking crocodile or whatever (or might be before they see reason and come effing home!) :?

So there is nothing for it but to sit tight, do nothing and wait to see whether they ever return from their Holiday. One thinks murderous thoughts involving heavy and/or sharp and/or ballistic objects (said murderous thoughts shared by everyone else involved with the chain too) but there is not a lot one can do.... :evil:

Choose somewhere where you can be contacted easily by phone, fax or e-mail and there's no reason why you shouldn't go on hols whilst you wait, but please, please don't choose this minute for Exotic Destinations!! :)

Have a good break - you deserve it.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Nelson

Thanks Gill.. Forgot to mention that I booked MY holiday on the basis that my solicitor has also gone on holiday.. we'll be back before any of the other parties and I'll have my mobile phone with me anyway..

We're off on a cheapy holiday to Tunisia.. I'll take some good books and forget we're moving 12,000 miles!

Thanks to all replying.. it seems like a lifeline at the moment. Bizarrely, whilst I get sick of repeating myself everytime I meet someone (yes, we are still here; no, we haven't sold the house yet; yes we do hope to go soon; no, my daughter hasn't changed her mind about coming with us)... I enjoy posting on this forum because peoples' responses are genuine, informed and coherent :!: The 'discussion' is somehow very different :!:

Guest Pasty

Hi Krista

We are in the same boat, STILL waiting to exchange contracts. We sold in May and we are in a chain of 3 people (we are buying anywhere and our buyers buyers have already completed on their house!! ) How much hassle can there be I ask myself, plenty!!! We have agreed a date of the 10th Aug, the buyer's buyers can only do the 9th (which incidently is the day that our shippers will be packing up the container!!) so I have agreed on the proviso that thye have to understand that it's out of our hands as we do not know how long the packers take. Fingers and toes crossed we hear something soon. Enjoy your holiday and destress for a while, sounds like there is nothing that you can do anyway!

Jackie (Mrs Pasty)

Guest Nelson

Jacky! What a nightmare! ...And a kindred spirit! I'll keep everythng crossed for you for next week and hope that all is concluded to the satisfaction of all people! Good luck!

Guest Pasty

Hi Krista

An update at last, we exchanged contracts today and are completing on Wednesday next week (9th Aug). All systems are go!! Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out for you soon

Jackie

Guest Nelson

Congratulations :!: It must be like getting your visa all over again :!: I can't help feeling a tiny weeny bit envious and wishing we'd exchanged today too but our time will come :!: When is your dparture date :?:

Hope you've got a decent bottle of wine to tuck into tonight... you sure have reason to celebrate... :wink:

Guest Pasty

Hi Krista

We go on the 7th September so will be staying with my mum and dad for the remainder of the time. I've got my fingers crossed for you that your's come to fruition soon

Jackie

Archived