south Sydney commute

k8bug79

Hi, we fly over end of Aug/ Sept. we have done as much research as we feel we can before we arrive however as i'm sure is similar with many others, we are getting opinions left, right and centre about what we should be doing.

We have a couple of simple requests for an area- nice family spot, not far from water (river, lake or sea) but not necesarily on top of it, affordable for us to buy eventually. Within reasonable commute of the city.

we highlighted Sutherland, Woronora, Oatley and surrounding areas. The commute by train from Sutherland to Central is 30 mins on paper and then i would have to add onward journey to place of work and also to/from station at home end. yet 3 people have said it's a nightmare.

So honestly what is your commute like?

We live in Sutherland Shire. Hubby works in Hurstville, that drive takes him about 35 minutes, he doesn't mind that and he says the traffic is fine. He often has to go in to the CBD, so he catches the train from either Engadine, Sutherland or Jannali depending on the parking, and doesn't mind that either. He always gets a seat, but does prefer to go from Sutherland/Jannali because there are apparently more trains than go to Engadine. When we drive in to the city it takes about 50 minutes, although that does tend to be slightly after rush hour (and we are right in the south of Sutherland Shire, so it takes 10 minutes to get on to the main road), and once when we were coming back at rush hour it took two hours, but there had been an accident which I guess could happen wherever you commute to by car. Sutherland Shire is a lovely area, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I think I saw in the paper that it is the safest area in Sydney.

We live in Sutherland Shire. Hubby works in Hurstville, that drive takes him about 35 minutes, he doesn't mind that and he says the traffic is fine. He often has to go in to the CBD, so he catches the train from either Engadine, Sutherland or Jannali depending on the parking, and doesn't mind that either. He always gets a seat, but does prefer to go from Sutherland/Jannali because there are apparently more trains than go to Engadine. When we drive in to the city it takes about 50 minutes, although that does tend to be slightly after rush hour (and we are right in the south of Sutherland Shire, so it takes 10 minutes to get on to the main road), and once when we were coming back at rush hour it took two hours, but there had been an accident which I guess could happen wherever you commute to by car. Sutherland Shire is a lovely area, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I think I saw in the paper that it is the safest area in Sydney.

Thanks LKC i've seen you praise the shire a lot on here and it was your enthusiasm for it as a family similar to ours that made me look at that area. i am trying not to get the rose tinted specs on but all our research shows it to be a great area and within reasonable reach of the city. i live in Cornwall allow an hour fr my commute which ius 19 miles and often get stuck due to accident and it'll then take up to 3 hours to get in. So it's very comparable Would prefer train and i'm glad you're able to get seats :-). Thanks for your response

Its worth the commute to live down here. It takes me approx an hour on the train from Cronulla to the Eastern Suburbs, the drive completely depends on what time of day it is but can take as little as 45 minutes. If you get on the train down here, you will always get a seat no problems. Its definitely far from a nightmare and as I said before its worth it to live down here.