The call we never wanted

Phil & Vikki

When I lost my dad I thought I would never be able to remember him and feel happy (I was home by pure chance, but had to leave my mum alone the day after the funeral). I am now living round the corner from mum and we often laugh about what dad might have said about various things, particularly things we know would have wound him up! I always feel he's around and proud of us all. We were lucky, we had a lot longer than you, and I feel for you at this awful time.

Just remember, he will have been glad that you were happy and making a good life for yourselves. Your mum will be glad to see you when you do get home, and will be comforted by the knowledge that you are on your way.

Hi Both,

As you know we are in the process of moving back home, and I haven't had much time to check the site !

Just wanted to say how sorry we are and can't even imagine how you must be feeling.

Thinking of you both and wishing you a safe journey back

Take care Shell and John x

That is an awful time for you both. I really feel for you. I can remember when my Mum died and I just rushed back on the first plane out the next day - my Dad wasn't coping at all and I just felt so sad and if I tell the truth a bit guilty too. Can you organise for your Mum to come out and stay with you for a while? We brought Dad out for 6 months and it helped both him and me- crying and helping each other in our loss. He liked it out here so eventually we got him out here permanently and he spent his last years in Australia near us.

Guest guest22466

Sorry for your loss and I sort of know how you feel my dad passed away in the UK November 2012 just four weeks after I visited for a holiday so I could not go for the funeral as I did not have the money and I have a child to care for on my own here in OZ. My mother then a few weeks later was admitted to hospital for six weeks she is 87 years old then into home for a few weeks, I felt terrible for months just feel so guilty and I still do. My situation is different I wish I was back in the UK to take care of my mother but due to a divorce with a child I am unable to live back in the UK unless I leave my son here ...which I will not do...I suppose this post brings into question the things when we migrate that we dont think of or push to the back of our minds. I still have a sister in the UK who has been so good but she also knows my situation and one day when my son is old enough will I still be able to return to the UK and leave my son....life can change and things happen that are unexpected but sometimes things happen in life and it can make you realize who and what is important in your life. My parents wanted us to have a better life ( not sure what that was lol ) and they never ever said come back and like most parents want to the best for their children and just want them to be happy. I cant go back so for me its a square room with no doors so I live with it for now. When things like this happen it can make you think . My heart goes out to you and the feelings you feel are only natural .Take care xxx

Saturday morning we got the call that we never wanted. my mom told me that my dad had passed away after a heart attach at the age of 68, one week 1 day after his birthday. It is the call that we never wanted and hoped that we would never get while we were here. we hunted around and after we reached a point where we could go out we were unable to book anyflights back until Tuesday. So we will land Wednesday morning, awhole five days after my dad had died.

The death was really hard for us all, but that was not the only thing that is eating us up. The fact that we were not there formy mom whenshe needed us most.That with the fact that we are only able to get there 5 days after this whole nasty situation had happened. God knows how my mom must be coping with here only son around her and the onlyfamily she has now. My momand dad were married over 45 years and to be on herown nowwhenshe needs us around is really eating us up. She said thatshe understands, but deep down it must not be easy for her.

We would never of thoughtthat he would go like this. We were there Christmas and he was able to spend that time with his grandchildren. When we left he looked as fit as an ox, ready to go another 15 years in the ring with life and win them all. We spoke to him on the phone the morning before he passed away and he sounded great. He even sent us an email and on the bottom it said look forward to talking to you on skype Sunday. That will never come around now.

With our and on our heart we thought he had loadsof time left. It just goes to show, ou never know.

We wanted to share this story as yes it is nice being out here and a great adventure. However when making the plans to com out and be away from your family, you can sometime overlook that life does not always go to plan and that the people you love may just go quick and not being able to get home when you are needed, can be as hard as the event itself.

Hi guys, so sorry to hear of your loss. It's a bit freaky to me as change a few minor details in your story and it could be my story from 6 weeks ago, just swap you being in Aus to me being in te UK. I will send you a PM.

Thoughts are with you.

Thank you for all your good wishes, it really does mean alot. We are back in the UK with my mom and helping her sort things out. It feels so much better to be here at this time. Hopefully, this post has helped people realize that there are so many little things to think about when moving.