Freezing!

Kagsy

Come on VS, can't be that much colder down in Mandurah can it? The minimum it's got to so far at night is around 10 degrees and yesterday was the coldest it's been for some time, 17-18 degrees. I've only just moved out of shorts and started wearing long trousers in the house at night. Still wear shorts and a T-shirt for work though. We are weeks away from even thinking about turning on the reverse cycle and when we do it's on for a few hours a day on really cold days. The bill here wouldn't come close to our heating bill for a really small end terrace back in the UK.

It sounds like you've got one of the better houses Paul. 10C outside is no drama for a house that's decently insulated, if you've got a crap one that only takes an hour or two to equalise with the outside temp that gets a bit chilly

Guest chris955

Yes that is what we found in Brisbane, we would go outside to warm up :) There would be about 2 hours in the middle of the day when it was warm inside. Our house here is cold without the heating on but its 400 years old so it has an excuse.

It sounds like you've got one of the better houses Paul. 10C outside is no drama for a house that's decently insulated, if you've got a crap one that only takes an hour or two to equalise with the outside temp that gets a bit chilly

We've got a pretty bog standard house for Perth Northshore. Double brick and tile, open plan, pretty average loft insulation. It's not been cold enough yet to even think about having any heating on. This Friday is forecast to be 2 degrees in the morning though. It's only like that for an hour or so though, just before the sun comes up. At night time it doesn't get that cold.

Might be a cold ski paddle on Saturday, we leave at 07:00am.

One of the problems we have is lots of glass. A living room with nearly a 4m ceiling and very open plan. Pretty much impossible to heat. Great in summer. But crap in winter.

This is the case with many houses here. The biggest single difference you can make to heat loss is double glazing. I think it's a must in any climate personally, unless it's one that never really drops below about 15C or so

Halves the conductive heat loss, pretty much.

This is the case with many houses here. The biggest single difference you can make to heat loss is double glazing. I think it's a must in any climate personally, unless it's one that never really drops below about 15C or so

Halves the conductive heat loss, pretty much.

​Double glazing is so expensive over here. We had our house priced up and it turned us off having it.

Guest hels

2 degrees tonight !!! We have put in a radient heater in our bathroom to try and take the chill out of the air and we have reverse cycle air con which is a god send as we run it all night at around 22-23 degrees and its a nice temp to sleep in and doenst cost the earth. WE are looking at double glazing and also the crim safe stuff on the doors and windows which will also help keep the warm in or out depending on the season :)

I get really anoyed when everyone moans aout the cold and i chip in that im cold, and get *well your from england you should be used it it. Yes im also used t houses that are warm !!! Like living in prewar britain at times

Keep checking ALDI specials for plug in lap rugs! Fab for snuggling under when watching telly plus a guarantee of cat's attention (that's if u have a cat of course)

We will have two little kittens (from the local rescue centre) in about 6 weeks time. Can't wait. Am also looking forward to Aldi opening in Perth!

Am sitting indoors currently, its nearly midday, 12d outside, absolutely freezing, got jeans, jersey top, scarf, socks, slippers and cardigan on. Nearly sat on top of a 5 fin heater, got the oven on, (warms the kitchen) fan heater in living room. Nose and fingers are icy. Think am heading to Kmart later before all the big heaters sell out.

I love our woodfire! It gets pretty cold here inland - last year we had a fair few mornings where all the water in the yard was frozen and hose-pipes snapped! We have some gas bayonets and a gas fire but we've never used it, the wood stove is much more effective and the wood is free. It's quite enjoyable going out in the woods and spending an afternoon collecting wood. We even keep several of our friends in good supply.

Our wood stove is in the older smaller lounge at the front whereas the tv is in the bigger lounge at the back which has big french windows. So you have to choose between being warm with no tv, or freezing your ass off in the back room. Suffice to say we don't watch much tv in winter!

Guest chris955
This is the case with many houses here. The biggest single difference you can make to heat loss is double glazing. I think it's a must in any climate personally, unless it's one that never really drops below about 15C or so Halves the conductive heat loss, pretty much.

Yes I agree, we cant have double glazing because the house is listed but I have installed secondary glazing on all the windows and it makes a huge difference. It is apparently more efficient as the gap between the 2 panes is bigger. Im still amazed how uncommon double glazing is in Australia but as another member just mentioned maybe it is just too expensive ?

2 degrees tonight !!! We have put in a radient heater in our bathroom to try and take the chill out of the air and we have reverse cycle air con which is a god send as we run it all night at around 22-23 degrees and its a nice temp to sleep in and doenst cost the earth. WE are looking at double glazing and also the crim safe stuff on the doors and windows which will also help keep the warm in or out depending on the season :)

I get really anoyed when everyone moans aout the cold and i chip in that im cold, and get *well your from england you should be used it it. Yes im also used t houses that are warm !!! Like living in prewar britain at times

Wouldn't fancy your bill if you're keeping your reverse cycle on overnight. I don't even know of many people in the UK who would keep their central heating on.

Come on VS, can't be that much colder down in Mandurah can it? The minimum it's got to so far at night is around 10 degrees and yesterday was the coldest it's been for some time, 17-18 degrees. I've only just moved out of shorts and started wearing long trousers in the house at night. Still wear shorts and a T-shirt for work though. We are weeks away from even thinking about turning on the reverse cycle and when we do it's on for a few hours a day on really cold days. The bill here wouldn't come close to our heating bill for a really small end terrace back in the UK.

Have you seen that we can expect a FROST tomoro morning... 2c!!!! Not seen frost since we got here two years ago :twitcy:

Have you seen that we can expect a FROST tomoro morning... 2c!!!! Not seen frost since we got here two years ago :twitcy:

Depends where you live. Anywhere near the coast and there won't be a frost.

We usually organise a road bike ride in the Swan Valley in winter and it's a whole different story out there. We've set off a couple of times and there's been frost on the fields and fog in the dips. That's only till the sun comes out though and then it warms up quick.

I'll get the hubbie to start talking in the morning. He is full of hot air so we can expect the house to warm up pretty quickly :biglaugh:

• 4 weeks later...
8x? I think not.

But yes, heat pumps (reverse cycle is an air source HP) have a multiplier effect so you get more heat energy out than electrical energy in, through the wonders of thermodynamics.....maybe 3x or so, depends on temperature of the heat sink (outside) and the particular system. So RC aircon will be cheaper than a direct electric heater (any sort of fan or convection heater).

Don't know about Adelaide, here in Sydney a lot of houses have gas piped in and many have bayonet fittings for portable gas heaters...the heaters aren't cheap though (nor are they without issues, as they are unflued).

:err: So thats what them bayonet fittings are for..I thought it was for bringing the barbie in when it's raining..no wonder smoke alarm keeps going off..lol:biggrin:

i think a person from the UK will be truly shocked how bad Australian houses are.

we have this dream of Australia being warm.

the truth is, being in an Australian house is worse being in a well appointed UK caravan.

the insulation is about the same, and as such when the heating is turned off, it gets cold so quickly.

at least the caravan is smaller so heating (or in the summer) cooling costs less.

our place is pretty new, and fully shite.

in hindsight we should have rocked up and brought a bus, and get our priscilla queen of the desert on, it would have been cheaper and the sights would have been fabulous darling!

Guest Ptp113
i think a person from the UK will be truly shocked how bad Australian houses are.

we have this dream of Australia being warm.

the truth is, being in an Australian house is worse being in a well appointed UK caravan.

the insulation is about the same, and as such when the heating is turned off, it gets cold so quickly.

at least the caravan is smaller so heating (or in the summer) cooling costs less.

our place is pretty new, and fully shite.

in hindsight we should have rocked up and brought a bus, and get our priscilla queen of the desert on, it would have been cheaper and the sights would have been fabulous darling!

Typical generalisation. Your abode may fit the above criteria, but don't think they all do. Next time do some research before posting stuff like this, so you don't look silly

Depends where you live. Anywhere near the coast and there won't be a frost.

We usually organise a road bike ride in the Swan Valley in winter and it's a whole different story out there. We've set off a couple of times and there's been frost on the fields and fog in the dips. That's only till the sun comes out though and then it warms up quick.

Well we get frosts near the coast here in Adelaide. I sell plants, so get lots of people telling me what area they are from, how often they get frosts etc. It is common.