Selling House In UK - How to appoint Power of Attorney.. ADVICE!!??

MikenSal

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.. but it is a bit of a dilemma..

Hopefully someone on here can point us in the right direction. we came out here in 2008 and settled in Yanchep, About 1hr north of Perth. When we came over we were unable to sell the house as the market in the UK had crashed. We had to rent it out and hope that things improved.

5 years later and our neighbour in the UK wants to buy it and knock through! Cool. So we got a buyer.. now for the problem.

My father is wiling to do all the leg work with regards the selling of the house as we are doing it privately. However we need to grant him power of attorney. Can we do this from over here? And if so, how? I've looked online and cant seem to find much out. Any guidance on this would be muchly appreciated.

You should just to to a local solicitor and make the appointment. It is a legal document you would have to sign so would have to do it from your end.............As far as i know it can be limited for a specific length of time or purpose if you feel it should be. .........Maybe other might have some different advice. But i have made them and have been given a Power of Attorney at different times, hope its of some help. Do remember what powers you are giving away no matter who it is to

My son has just sold his house in the UK. We were there at the time to help sell it. He arranged a solicitor in UK and we had permission from him to help organizing putting the house on the market, but no power of attorney. We didn't need to sign anything on his behalf, as it really was easy for him to arrange everything from OZ. All paper work was posted to him in OZ, signed and posted back. There were no problems at all and the sale only took 7 weeks. Contracts exchanged on monday and settlement is next wed. Things like searches are all done on line these days, and the solicitor handled everything.

It does help if you have Skype to tel. Cheaply if you do need to discuss anything with the solicitor, but the whole process was so easy, that you might also find you don't need to give your father power of attorney. We almost didn't need to be in UK to help, apart from clearing the house, and making sure it was in good condition after being rented for 7 years.

There was no chain involved which obviously helped, but it sounds as though you are not in a chain either, so hopefully it will be a equally smooth sale for you. Good luck and hope our experience helps.

Agree, we arranged something via a lawyer in Oz from the UK. They e-mailed us the paperwork and we printed it, signed it and returned it via post. Usually they will not accept a scanned signature for something like this. My accountant however is ok for me to scan a signed page so we do things across the world all on-line!

We are selling our house at the moment. We exchanged last week and complete in about 10 days time. We have not needed power of attorney. We got a solicitor recommended by our estate agent and everything has been done via email. We have had to sign and post one document through the post and that has been it. All other paperwork has been filled in, signed, scanned and emailed through. No problems at all. Just make sure you find a decent solicitor and be a little wary of the cheap online ones, who charge £300 - 400 less that the high street firms. Having read various reviews of them, we decided to pay the £300 more and go with a high street firm and it was worth it (due to the hassle we were given by the other side). As others have said, no need for power of attorney. Save your money.

Guest GeorgeD

I sold my house from Oz. No power of attorney, I just spoke to the alwyer by phone, he emailed any documents which I needed to sign and then I posted them back. Took 5 days rather than 1, but other than that no issuse at all.