Has PIO turned you off Perth?

Harpodom

Well, tbh, if you are going to believe what the bashers say about Perth - or anywhere in Australia for that matter, then I find it great that they stay away. Keep the Perth average IQ high, I say. The question does highlight the issue of certain contributors on PIO reducing the value of this forum. What should be a place of information for prospective migrants has degenerated into a haven for haters. We ought to have a troll button which, if pressed by enough visitors, would banish the troll.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not fair!

I don't get it - why is it that Poms find the need to all accumulate in one area and live in a 'little Britain' here in Perth? I just don't understand why you'd move all the way to the other side of the world to want to live with all of your own again and moan that the sausages 'just aren't the same, or you miss Tesco's etc.' All poms seem to navigate straight to Joondalup and those areas or Baldivis, port Kennedy, secret harbour etc. I've been living in Morley and don't come across any poms. I absolutely love it here.

Who says that actually happens? Where are your stats! Urban myths, complete daily mail reader sensationalism just the type that get slagged off on here. Why are you so proud of the fact that you don't come across any poms? Guess what...you're a pom! I really don't understand it. The sort of people that moan about living near poms when they are poms themselves are usually try hards who are aching to 'firt in' with the natives. Do you think Aussies avoid areas that are known to attract poms? No, theyre not that daft. They move where they like the housing, amenities and prices.

Who says that actually happens? Where are your stats! Urban myths, complete daily mail reader sensationalism just the type that get slagged off on here. Why are you so proud of the fact that you don't come across any poms? Guess what...you're a pom! I really don't understand it. The sort of people that moan about living near poms when they are poms themselves are usually try hards who are aching to 'firt in' with the natives. Do you think Aussies avoid areas that are known to attract poms? No, theyre not that daft. They move where they like the housing, amenities and prices.

I find it interesting actually. I lived in remote and regional Australia for many years and rarely, if ever, met a Brit, I even forgot I had an accent. I have now moved to Perth for work and I live in an area that is 50 % Brits, they do congregate in my location for sure! My two children can't make fun of my accent anymore either, as most of the kids they play with seem to be British :)

I think though, because I have been in Oz for so long (without other Brits around) that I still naturally gravitate towards Aussies and have them much more as friends, even though I am so happy to hear other accents again - especially beautiful Scottish ones which just about make me swoon ( love them).

Edited by Sammy1

No need for personal insults. you are merely just living up to peoples beliefs of the residents of the Northern suburbs lol

​So what was your comment if not an insult? Complimentary? Your posts smacks of ignorance. If you don't like it thats not my problem. Don't post inflammatory crap then.

Best of it is I bet you all moaned about the foreigners all living in the same areas next to each other in the UK too! Why do the residents of the little Britain suburbs get so upset and defensive if people dare to say they don't like these areas?

​I don't live in one of 'those' areas. I just don't appreciate silly posts. Some of my friends live in such areas and I work in such areas. The pom majority is a pure myth.

The area I live in btw is mostly Aussie and Italian but thats not why we chose to buy here, it was the house prices and convenient location. The Perth I live in bears absolutely no relation to the one I see portrayed on here. Clearly it's not perfection all over but I doubt any state is?

I have a vision of Brisbane as being a brash tourist hot spot but I bet thats just what the locals hate to hear, same with Melbourne, freezing England copy, sure its nothing of the sort in reality!

No that's the Gold Coast, Brisbane is a lovely City.

No need for personal insults. you are merely just living up to peoples beliefs of the residents of the Northern suburbs lol

They only called you a muppet. Didn't cal whole suburbs as a "Benidorm type" was it. They might be your beliefs but I don't think they are "peoples" in general.

Best of it is I bet you all moaned about the foreigners all living in the same areas next to each other in the UK too! Why do the residents of the little Britain suburbs get so upset and defensive if people dare to say they don't like these areas?

You didn't say you didn't like the areas. You slagged off the people that live there.

Please answer the original post.

Perth is a very nice place, just because I don't live there does not mean I do not like it. I remember feeling how sunny and nice and bright it was the last time I was over there. Just because I live in Melbourne and like it does not mean its everyones cup of tea.

I actually like all the State capitals and if Tassie was joined to the mainland would live there, but then it would not be Tassie

Its not a competition, and if people want to live with their people from their tribe so be it.

Guest Ptp113
If people like to visit Benidorm that is fine by me. I hear it is a popular place, sunny and full of Brits

A good reason to stay well away from there then!

If people like to visit Benidorm that is fine by me. I hear it is a popular place, sunny and full of Brits

Had one of the best holidays I've ever had in Benidorm. Was back in 1970 though, I was 17 and went with a couple of mates. Thought we had landed in Heaven.