Mokoglides

Occupational Therapy on a Working Holiday Visa?

Hi everyone,

I am intending to move to Melbourne (from London) in Jan 2014 to work as an OT for a year. I am finding it really difficult to find any information/guidance about working as an OT on a working holiday visa. Does anyone know if 1) It is actually possible, and if so 2) How hard it is to find a short-term contract/locum work? I would rather not go down the Skilled Migration route if I don't have to, as it is just for a year. On the other hand, I don't want to get out there with my OT registration to find it is impossible to actually get short-term work!

​And advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

Frm 2012 OTs need to be registered with AHPRA in order to be able to practice anywhere in Australia - http://www.occupationaltherapyboard.gov.au/Registration.aspx

dealing with AHPRA can be a nightmare at the best of times so you might find that it isn't worth it for a WHV especially as you would be limited to short term placements but if you want to go ahead get your registration application in well before you intend going.

possible though http://www.alliedhealth.com.au/Occupational-Therapy-Jobs-Australia.htm

Edited by Quoll

Hi everyone,

I am intending to move to Melbourne (from London) in Jan 2014 to work as an OT for a year. I am finding it really difficult to find any information/guidance about working as an OT on a working holiday visa. Does anyone know if 1) It is actually possible, and if so 2) How hard it is to find a short-term contract/locum work? I would rather not go down the Skilled Migration route if I don't have to, as it is just for a year. On the other hand, I don't want to get out there with my OT registration to find it is impossible to actually get short-term work!

​And advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

with respect to getting the registration and then not finding work, well for sure this is a distinct possibility, the WHV is designed for picking up casual work to fund a holiday, although some do secure professional work. If you only want to register if the professional work is a given, then I would also suggest it is not worth it.

Hi!

I'm an OT working in France and I would like to work in Australia for a year, this is how I got here... And almost 5 years after your post, it's still hard to find any information about working as an OT with a WHV! I would like to know if you could finally work as an OT in Australia or if you had to find another work...

I would appreciate any other information :) thank you!