ADVICE: Do hospitals in Perth want you to be trained as both Midwife/Nurse or just Midwife??

vikkeytymo

Hello.

I am looking for some advise please as I have heard on here via an agent that hospitals in Perth prefer you to have Nursing as well as Midwifery. I am starting my training in the UK to become a Midwife but am now unsure as to do the Nursing first then the Midwifery add on.

I really want to be a Midwife not a Nurse but will obviously do it, if it is a requirement and guarantees me a job in Perth.

Any advise or links to threads regarding this would be greatly appreciated as I can't find them.

Thank You in advance

Vikkey xx :confused:

Guest Guest26012

I'm a registered nurse from the uk. It certainly wasn't a requirement when I came. The oz nurses generally do their nursing first and then go over to midwifery.although, I think I heard that they can do direct midwifery now? Someone else may know more than me.

Guest Geordee

Direct entry midwifery has been going in perth for a few years now so definitely no need to do nursing as well. I think having both is preferred if you are in remote / country areas as then they don't need to employ both a nurse and a midwife. Btw uk trained middies are highly regarded here because the uk training has a lot more prac hours.

Edited by Geordee

Guest bethc

Hi vikkey

I'm a direct entry midwife and have worked in perth for the last 3 years without a problem. The system is different depending on where you chose to work some places do not offer the same autonomy as you may be used to in the uk, so please do your research before making your choice.

good luck

​beth

Thank You all for the info.

We are looking at coming to the Rockingham (secret harbour) area, so will ideally be looking at hospitals in that vicinity.

I have been informed also that you have to work for at least 1 year in the professsion before you can lodge EOI, anyone know if that is true?

Guest bethc

Hi vikkey

rockingham hospital have a maternity unit, if you don't have any experience in midwifery most hospitals will want to to do a years grad programme, even the newly qualified midwives here have to complete this course as well.

​beth