Negative AITSL Assessment

Bluhayl

Just a bit of help please, really gutted I have heard today that AITSL said that my degree of 3 years here in England is not good enough and that they expect 4 years but I am a qualified teacher and have been for 10 years with that amount of experience. I just don't know what to do next any help would be appreciated

Guest guest30085

Hi Bluhayl

Im not a teacher, but as far as I'm aware they don't accept the 3 year Uk degree which gives you QTS. You would need 4 years of training i.e. the PGCE.

​Hopefully someone else will be along who knows the process in more depth.

Edited by guest30085

You will need to do one more year of university study to be able to teach anywhere in Australia.

Some people decide to do a Masters, others have done extra study with special needs etc.

Which state did you wish to teach in? Contact the TRB ( teaching registration board) of your chosen state and they will be able to advise which subjects would be best to study for the extra year needed.

Hi Sammy1

Thank you for the reply, I was planning on going to Perth and surely the visa company that I have should have told me this back when I started the process.

Yes they should have done. It is widely known that it is mandatory to have four years of university study to teach in Australia. They should be refunding you your money. I am sorry they have messed you about like that.

You do still have options though and one years study would go by quickly - if you really want to come here then it is worth investigating which course is the best route for you.

Good luck.

Edited by Sammy1

Sorry about your let down

It is such a shame so many people are still getting caught out with this.

I think AITSL need to say this very loud and clear on their site and application forms, instead of just continuing to accept applications and take peoples' money

and Sammy is right, the agent should have known better

Best of luck

​Millie x