Why do I feel so lost in Aus?

SarahRob198

Hello everyone,

I have taken over my partners account to post a message. Long story short I am 24, my partner is 21, our son is 4. We permanenty moved over to Australia in Jan 2013 (My partners family have already emigrated 5 years ago) so we thought we would give it a go. Before arriving in Australia we were pointing out all the bad things about the UK, the weather, our little flat, we didn't enjoy our jobs especially but didn't hate them, the Chavs! but again we werent too bothered, we often looked ahead and thought Australia will be a hell of alot better.

Since being here I can't seem to shake this empty feeling inside, I can't seem to settle down. We got our own place to live, as we were staying with the family at first, we got a car, and jobs. My partner works as an apprentice chef, and unfortunately has split shifts, she no longer has alot of time for us. She has gone from finishing work in the UK at 2pm and spending the rest of the day with friends/family, to working 10am-2/3pm then back in at 5pm-9/10pm. Our son is in nursery from 8am - 4/5pm so she misses him greatly. I only work casually as I have found it very difficult to find full time work. We often wonder if its my partners job that is making us feel this way? and maybe it is, but we honestly think we cannot settle even if she found a different job. We talk about walking to town back in the UK, and casually looking through shops, we think about staying inside when its raining/snowing with the heating on, wrapping up on the sofa with a duvet watching a film, popping round to friends houses for a chat, working with people that actually want to speak to us, ( my partner has been bullied from day one at work ) walking around a Tesco store without feeling out of place (like we do here in a woolworths store) we just seem to miss all the little things, but why did we uproot our lives if nothing was wrong, the saying "if its not broke don't fix it" sticks here.

Why I am writing this I don't know. Maybe I am seeking closure that going back home is the correct thing to do, but I know nobody can tell me what will happen in the future, or whats right and wrong. If we go home, I don't have my parents anymore, I lost them both to sudden heart attacks within the last 6 years, so if we go back, we are well and truly on our own, yet we still want to go? WHY DO WE WANT TO GO!? The question I find myself asking every minute of the day.

Anyway, I hope this has made sense, and would love to get other peoples opinions or other peoples stories of when they have actually moved back to the UK from Aus and emigrating.

Thank you for reading,

Mike. :(

Mike - As long as you and your partner stick together , it doesnt matter where you are, you can move mountains , anything is achievable ........weve been broke in the u.k and broke in oz .....through the bad times we stuck together .......things are much better now

If it dont fit , put it down to experience and move on ......but for gods sake stick together