Do you do drugs?

Guest The Pom Queen

I will only take drugs if I have exhausted any other avenue lol Tbh I rarely get ill,but have on occasion taken antibiotics for a chest infection.I know my own personal tolerance level,and get to a point when I know its gone too far.I'm definately no pill popper though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now antibiotics, thats a different matter! Lots of over reliance and unecessary taking of for complaints that would have resolved themselves. Tricky with kids though, I was told no antibiotics for my sons recurrant ear infection, doesn't need them. I know my child though and had nursed him for days with no improvement before going to the after hours clinic. Next day, perforated ear drum and minor hearing loss which continues to this day. Antibiotics only work for bacterial infections not viruses which most coughs, colds and chesty type things are caused by.

Depends on the circumstances. Around my thyroid ops I took temazapam, diazepam, morphine, coproxamol, beta blockers and anti-emetics. Short term really, and some prevented complications - I bled and bruised a LOT after the first op, BBs seemed to help second time.

I was discharged with a good supply of coproxamol, which I only needed for a few days. The rest were used as the best hangover cure ever!! I never missed them when they finally ran out.

Yes .... especially for headaches ... But am wary of a lot of stuff, was prescribed anti depressants, but came off them, unsure if they were working, but looking at some of my recent posts I think they might have been :wink:

after my hysterectomy I was on a morphine drip which made me vomit, so to counteract the vomiting I had to have an anti sickness drug injected into my bum .....

I have been quite fortunate really that I have more or less had a drug free life, I take the odd sleeping pill, but wish I didn't ....

I rarely take antibiotics .... never been a fan, agree with Happy Heart ....

just before my hysterectomy I was prescribed a very strong antibiotic metronidazole some whacko dosage and my head was all over the place, oh always says not to drink alcohol with this drug as it can cause projectile vomiting ...

Guest Ptp113
No not recreational ones. Strange question I know, but I'm here and I'm on a morphine drip which I can control myself by pressing a button. Despite being in pain I refuse to use it. They come round every few hours offering me more pain relief and I keep refusing. Yet the 3 women on my ward say yes every time the pill trolly comes round yet in the meantime they are having a little boogie here and there (they are all over 70) and seem as fit as anything. Maybe that's why they are able to dance around because they are high on meds. They even asked me if I wanted to climb on the bed and do a dance, I can just imagine it, I'd have to do topless bed dancing though seen as the boys forgot my pj tops.:chatterbox:

​But back to my question, are you one of these who takes drugs at the first sign of a headache or do you try and soldier on?

Soldier on. Don't even like antibiotics unless its something unusual like this weeks ear infection.

I'll take paracetamol for a headache, but like you hardly used the morphine after my operation last year and the 2nd day post op I was only taking paracetamol and the nurses all commented about my refusal for pain relief ... which I did explain was that I don't tolerate it well. So Paracetamol is my friend lol

I don't take anything unless I'm on my knees in pain......which isn't very often. My last C-section and big op I had last year I was given a whole heap of strong painkillers to take home with me, but as they made me very muddle headed and sleepy..I stopped taking them. Pain doesn't bother me and I think sometimes it's a good indication to what's going on with the body or healing process. Can't stand morphine...makes me very sick. I told the private hospital I had my op in last year (uk) that morphine makes me sick and find it hard to tolerate but blow me they gave me it before I came round from the anaesthetic!!! Had a bad reaction....never again.

:hug: hope you feel better soon Kate x

I have a high pain threshold, but will always take analgesia if I need it. Pain is entirely subjective and nurses and doctors won't think you are 'strong' to deny yourself. Nurses and doctors are unlikely to care if you are maxing out your pills or pump. If it keeps you comfy then please go for it.

I have to take tablets everyday for my health condition and they are huge torpedo type things !! but with painkillers i try not to take them straight away and normally give myself an hour or so to see if the headache. tummy ache etc disappears on its own..

​ Cal x

I dont like taking drugs - it has to be really bad for me to take a painkiller. I dont know why im like that, i hated having to take the strong painkillers after my broken wrist. Ill have to take my thyroid pill and vitamin D aswell soon so that will be 3 pills a day altogether. I'd hate having to take loads of pills everyday, daves mum has to. Shes got one of those packs where she puts it in according to the day/time

No not recreational ones. Strange question I know, but I'm here and I'm on a morphine drip which I can control myself by pressing a button. Despite being in pain I refuse to use it. They come round every few hours offering me more pain relief and I keep refusing. Yet the 3 women on my ward say yes every time the pill trolly comes round yet in the meantime they are having a little boogie here and there (they are all over 70) and seem as fit as anything. Maybe that's why they are able to dance around because they are high on meds. They even asked me if I wanted to climb on the bed and do a dance, I can just imagine it, I'd have to do topless bed dancing though seen as the boys forgot my pj tops.:chatterbox:

​But back to my question, are you one of these who takes drugs at the first sign of a headache or do you try and soldier on?

Heck, are you superwoman or what? If I was given the offer of morphine, I would be asking if there was anything they could mix it with for fun :)

Guest chris955
Not talking about me, but people in general, say you hurt your back, took two really strong pain killers this would mask the pain and surely you would end up doing more damage

This is howI look at it, I have had a bad back for years but stopped taking pain killers years ago, my doctor could never understand it but I said that if the pain is masked and I start trying to do stuff I shouldnt then it could make it worse. Far better to manage the pain than take loads of drugs.

I wouldn't have thought you could enforce that? I know I'm really ill on anti malaria tablets and would never take them again

Many people say this to me during travel clinics, don't assume that if you have taken malaria tablets before and had bad side effects that you will suffer again, there are a few different anti malarial tablets available for certain high risk areas, malaria can be fatal! I would take the meds and put up with the side effects if they were going to save my life.

Yep. I can enforce that. I am responsible for the health and safety of everybody in camp. I have had to put the bodies of expats in th camp fridge previously because they would not take anti malarial tablets, came to me to say they were not feeling well and finding them dead a few hours later. I wont do it again. Nobody forces them to come and work in a high malaria environment. But, if they want to. They have to obey my camp rules.

Anti malarials have been known to make people ill. Particularly doxy. However, i have never known of anyone fall ill when on Malerone - other than a slightly loose bowel for the first few days and that is cured by taking it with breakfast and not on an empty stomach. It costs 20x more than doxy, but i am happy to pay for it for any expat that wants it.

Yes, your right in doing so, as for side effects, The side effects and symptoms of malaria are a hell of alot worse!!!

I can't make people take them but I do strongly advise them to! Malaria can KILL fact!!

Oh coproxamol brings back good memories :) I've had back pain for years due to working on wards and was given coproxamol (sp?) they really helped. I've had pain relief after having my 3 boys but you are not on them for long. I always worry about taking antibiotics and never take ibuprofen as I'm breast feeding but my joints are painful due to hypermobility syndrome and could do with something stronger then paracetamol.

I'm very lucky that I never get poorly so I rarely have to take medication, however if I am going for a long shift, I take anti-inflammatory meds before hand as my feet hurt so much standing up for seven hours. Other than that, only really when I have a bad headache, which rarely happens. Husband over-dosed accidentally on paracetamol last year and that was scary, so I steer clear.

I don't even know why I think like this, but I reckon non-prescription painkillers don't actually work & it's all in your head, so I think if I take them they won't work because I 'don't believe in them' haha. A nurse convinced me last week that I did need ibuprofen for swollen glands that were so bad it prevented me from speaking, that did seem to work.

I was offered diazepam before having my cosmetic dental surgery, they had to offer me another dose because I had some sort of a panic attack that caused my hands to lock in a weird position!! I'm such a wimp. I got through it in the end. Horrible! Horrible & vain.