Anyone lived in Aberdeen ?

PomPrincesses

Look up the tax calculators to figure out what your take-home will be (don't forget to include 10% national insurance in UK and your health insurance in Oz), compare the rents etc and a basket of goods. Bills will be higher in the UK due to the cold, and remember to include UK council tax too, which is substantially higher than Aussie local taxes (water rates).

Then when you have the financials all figured out, if it is still a good deal, draw up a list of pros and cons. Here's a few to get you started with :

Pro - no natural predators or poisonous creatures, full medical cover, proper British Indian food (trust me), great wine

Cons - no outside living (kids playing in garden etc - too cold and wet), dark and depressing, damp and cold.

Edited by Blewyn

Oh heck, I'm really worried about the money side of things now, I don't want to go from being broke in the sunshine to being broke in the pissing rain :arghh:

I have to say if your primary reason for leaving Perth is lack of money I would hate for you to move to Aberdeen and realise it is almost as bad. Would you be renting a house to start with? Rental market here is crazy at the moment, every estate agent has sign's up looking for rental properties as demand has never been so high. I have a good friend who does property searches for families arriving in Aberdeen and basically her job is to secure them a house no matter what. She is having to fight for every property at the moment and often offering more rent per month than is advertised. There are areas (as everywhere) where you will get a cheaper rental but whether you would be happy for the kids to grow up and go to school there is another matter. What you need to remember is many many people are living here with their rent and sometimes their bills and private school fees all paid for by oil companies. That coupled with a much higher than normal average income can make housing expensive. Like I said before look carefully at areas. Good luck

I work in Aberdeen ( heading for Brisbane in 6 weeks) and have lived in Aberdeenshire fo 40+ years,

To be honest Aberdeen is in its own artificial bubble due to oil industry which makes it an incredibly expensive place to be,cars,houses,shopping etc are all in line with oil industry wages but unfortunately not everyone makes this kind of money.

Like every town or city there are cheap and expensive areas, the cheap ones you wouldn't want to stay here.

Aberdonians are very gloomy people and have a very much glass half empty look out on life,

Tremendous amount of Eastern European people here aswell

It is an expensive place to live but the oil industry jobs generally pay higher. I live in angus and I know lots of folk who commute. When you get out of Aberdeenshire the prices drop significantly. I know one guy who gets the train every day and the company pay all of his fare so he's not out of pocket. There are more jobs advertised per person in Aberdeen than any othrr place in the uk, so lots of room for promotion if you needed more money. I think it's a great city, people are cliquey everywhere unfortunately.

Just wondered as I am getting a lot of interest from organisations in the area. House prices and rents seem quite high.

Any advice welcomed, thank you

Aberdeen is a beautiful city and pretty affluent. House prices are strong and the market is consistent. Mostly down to the oil and gas.

city centre has plenty to offer, the accent may seem stronger but like everywhere else you won't notice it after a while.

Aberdeen is quite cold, it is way up North after all. A better climate than a lot of the West coast though as they get way more sun and its generally drier. You also get ridiculously long light evenings in the summer, in fact it hardly goes dark mid summer due to the latitude. of course in winter its dark earlier than rest of UK.

Re other comments, I moved there and found them to be great and Im English. The thing with Glaswegians I found was its not such much towards Glasgow as a city, more so the in yer face types. Your 'Danny Dyer' cockney geezer and equally the 'byraway bigmanbut Ive got a story to tell you big man' Glaswegians were shown contempt by the locals (and rightly so a lot of the time).

Theres also a definite difference between the 'toonsers' (city dwellers) and teuchters (country folk), personally I preferred the Teuchters once I could work out what the hell they were saying :cool:

Not sure that's a true reflection of the entire population of a city. Not everyone in Glasgow looks and speaks like Rab C Nesbit. Nor do they all wear string vests with a bottle of Tizer or Buckfast hanging out their pockets.

The city is very friendly and cosmopolitan unlike London were someone would step over a dead body lying in front of a train only to be at work 2 seconds quicker!!! Aberdeen like all cities have undesireable people that not even the locals understand!....

every city in the UK has stronger accents in parts and people who are perhaps less fortunate than ourselves......

I'm sure it's lovely but they were pretty candid at the interview and they didn't think a family could live on £35,000

Shame the people interviewing me when I came to Perth weren't as open.

​Looks like I'm going home and "DH" is staying :(

Thats a shame, i did think it would be tight with 4 children. Have you heard back from anywhere else, the sydney one?

I'm sure it's lovely but they were pretty candid at the interview and they didn't think a family could live on £35,000

Shame the people interviewing me when I came to Perth weren't as open.

​Looks like I'm going home and "DH" is staying :(

Slightly off topic but which one of you is the 457 holder. If it's you and you leave your employer and return to the UK then your partner needs to also unless they have a 457 in their own right of course.

Except for 4 years when I lived in the 'country', I have lived in Aberdeen all of my life. I could go on and on about it - I suppose it just depends what you want to know. If you are buying in the actual city itself it is expensive but if you are willing to live 20-30 miles out there are loads of suburbs and housing prices are more reasonable. Large amount of rentals also.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to ask specific/more questions.

Thanks! :)

Hi,

I have lived in Aberdeen pretty much all of my life, so I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Buying in the city itself is expensive but if you are willing to live 20-30 miles outside of it, there are lots of nice suburbs that are much more affordable (obviously depends on your budget). Contrary to belief, in my experience, I do not find much racism towards English people in Aberdeen. Yes unfortunately it does exist and there are some di**heads but for the most part there is nothing or banter - which is reciprocated.

Please feel free to PM me and I will help answer any questions you have as best as I can :)