Anyone lived in Aberdeen ?

PomPrincesses

So you did mean aberdeen in the UK! Sorry i didnt answer the other day because i googled aberdeen in aus and there was one so just assumed thats what you meant. The best person to ask is stevie ellis, thats where he's from. Whichway is quite nearby aswell so she might be able to help.

House prices are high but i think its because of the oil, i suppose you'll be used to high prices living in perth lol, just as long as your UK wages reflect the prices. Last time we went to aberdeen we didnt go right into the centre but i heard its nice. You have some really lovely scenery up that part of scotland aswell

Just wondered as I am getting a lot of interest from organisations in the area. House prices and rents seem quite high.

Any advice welcomed, thank you

I moved up there when I was about 11 and stayed for around 12 years.

Great place in my opinion. As a city Aberdeen is OK, fair bit going on, where it really comes into its own is the country lifestyle in Aberdeenshire. Stunning scenery, fresh air, loads of things to do - fishing, mountain biking, skiing etc.

always had low unemployment even through recesssions but a lot of that related to oil and gas, and of course those wages have pushed house prices and rents up.

Also great people, very dry sense of humour. Dont suffer fools and have an inherrent distrust of Glaswegians :biggrin:. oh, and the Doric accent will take a good while to get a hang of, but fantastic folk when you get to know them and a great place. Somewhere we are actually considering moving back to when we move back to UK

It is going to be one of the more expensive places to live in Scotland due to the oil and gas (just like Perth is for similar reasons), I haven't been but plan to when we return!

I made a good friend on here who has moved back to Aberdeenshire from Perth and if you are serious I am sure she would be able to advise you.

I moved up there when I was about 11 and stayed for around 12 years.

Great place in my opinion. As a city Aberdeen is OK, fair bit going on, where it really comes into its own is the country lifestyle in Aberdeenshire. Stunning scenery, fresh air, loads of things to do - fishing, mountain biking, skiing etc.

always had low unemployment even through recesssions but a lot of that related to oil and gas, and of course those wages have pushed house prices and rents up.

Also great people, very dry sense of humour. Dont suffer fools and have an inherrent distrust of Glaswegians :biggrin:. oh, and the Doric accent will take a good while to get a hang of, but fantastic folk when you get to know them and a great place. Somewhere we are actually considering moving back to when we move back to UK

Much better post than mine! The accent is definitely quite difficult to understand at times but i quite like it. I think ive also managed to cure stevies distrust of weegies lol

Sorry should have said, yes Scotland. How keen are they on the English ?

My mother is Glaswegian so I'll keep that to myself, thanks for the tip

I guess you'll just find it the same as anywhere - you'll find a few assholes who might say things but i reckon the majority will be fine. They have a lot of tourists so i think they'll be used to lots of different accents. There was loads of americans when i was there, i think its to do with the golf.

If you get a job offer and the wages reflect the prices then you should go for it i think, especially if you love nice wild scenery.

Sorry should have said, yes Scotland. How keen are they on the English ?

My mother is Glaswegian so I'll keep that to myself, thanks for the tip

I can't speak directly for Aberdeen but I have never had any serious issues being English in Scotland - banter yes but since I don't take myself too seriously that's okay. It was suggested by a neighbour we took down our England banner during the world cup (not that he thought we should but he was worried for us) and I remember getting into a heated debate about whether my son is Scottish - I say yes, he was born in Scotland!

I rather hope for independence then I can choose to be a Scottish citizen, in the same way I've chosen to become Australian.

I dont think theres really as much trouble between the english and scottish anymore, you get idiots either side who might still not like each other but i think the majority do and if anything its probably just banter like saying the scots are cheap with their money etc lol. I think you'd be fine, theres quite a lot of english where i live and no trouble at all. Think aberdeen would be the same

Lol im the total opposite, think i'll jump ship to england eventually

It's one of them pecularities that most English love Scots but it doesn't work the other way around. I did find it odd that I met people who would say they'd never been to England and would never want to go. Why? I'd love to go to every country in the world if I could afford it and it was safe to do so.

Oh I remember one of the more nasty comments I got was 'it's people like you coming here that's putting our house prices up'!

Salary wise they are looking at £35,000, I'd be on my own with the four kids so I think end up with £880 per week.

"DH" would send me another £2,000 from Australia as long as he is working but that would be towards paying the UK mortgage off and I couldn't rely on it.

I really cant comment on the salary because of the 4 kids, i dont have any but i imagine they cost a lot. If it was just you and your husband then id say you would be fine but cant with kids. I think the money your husband sends would help out a bit though. hopefully stevie will see this and be able to help, he lives there and has 2 or 3 kids so he'll be much better qualified to answer than me!

I think everyone has hit the nail on the head really, oh and you'll have no problem being English in Scotland....we've 'almost' moved on from the whole Braveheart thing :-)

I live just down the road from Aberdeen and visit regularly. As far as cities go it's pretty nice and has most amenities you would require. Not far away from Skiing/Snowbaording, AECC get's plenty of live artists, then of course all the usual stuff, Duthie Park, Union Square etc etc. If I had to choose where to live in Scotland it would be there or Edinburgh certainly. There's rough parts of Aberdeen (Torry etc) as there is everywhere but in and around the centre and overall it's pretty nice. As others have said there's plenty of nice areas in and around Aberdeen (Aberdeenshire) so plenty of places to choose from in terms of living. If you were looking for somewhere just outside Aberdeen Potlethen would be a good starter, close to the city and has plenty of amenities itself. Traffic can be a bit of a pain getting into Aberdeen from the South certainly but no worse than anywhere else really.

Fortunately for Aberdeen it has always remained buoyant, even during the recession, due to the oil and gas works. Probably one of the few places that has remained relatively unaffected.

I'm not sure what your job is, so salary wise I couldn't comment. But in terms of salaries Aberdeen I would imagine would have quite a high average due to the oil and gas sector. I actually think it's got the highest average in Scotland. If it's related to this field then I'd expect it to be on the higher side than an average job. £35,000 is by no means a poor salary, it's pretty good but as you say Aberdeen is expensive for rent so you'd have to factor all that in.Your £2,000 from your DH would make a massive difference to your lifestyle and living though.

Edited by kylel39

PomPrincesses, I lived in Aberdeen for 7 years and let me tell you wild horses could not drag me back there. It is COLD, COLD, COLD, rains for 99% of the time and pours down for the rest, blows a bloody gale most of the time and be warned the people are NOT friendly. They're routinely xenophobic, especially towards the English. The NE coast Scots have a mean-spirited culture, are very cliquey, and it's just one of those towns where most locals aren't interested in making new friends, because they've lived there all their lives. Most Aberdonians who leave don't go back. The city is uniformly grey and drab, rarely sees the sun and it is "only two hours from the Cairngorms !". Says it all. I hated it.

I calls it like I sees it. Even now, more than a decade on, I have an instinctive aversion to NE Scots, which is a shame because I have met some really excellent and decent Aberdonians and cheukters in other parts of the world.

Hi

We live in Stonehaven which is 13 miles south of aberdeen, my hubby works in Aberdeen.

We moved bk from Perth last year, but are heading bk in a few months, my hubby earns in the 60s and we dont have much left over, rent is high especially in decent areas.

Stonehaven is a smallish village good schools, beach, train etc.

We have 2 children and stay in a 2 bedroom flat our rent is 750 per month.

Aberdeen itself from what we have seen is nice, lovely beach etc.

Hope this helps.

I suppose the further you are from england the more likely you are to have issues, i really didnt think aberdeen was meant to be that bad though, i just knew theres a bit of rivalry between them and glasgow but its just the same as glasgow and edinburgh. I havent lived there though so your better informed than me. Its definitely cold up there, they get more snow but theres also been times where they have better summers than my part of scotland. Last time i was in aberdeen it was roasting and then when we got back here it was miserable lol. Heard its windy though

Aberdeen is quite cold, it is way up North after all. A better climate than a lot of the West coast though as they get way more sun and its generally drier. You also get ridiculously long light evenings in the summer, in fact it hardly goes dark mid summer due to the latitude. of course in winter its dark earlier than rest of UK.

Re other comments, I moved there and found them to be great and Im English. The thing with Glaswegians I found was its not such much towards Glasgow as a city, more so the in yer face types. Your 'Danny Dyer' cockney geezer and equally the 'byraway bigmanbut Ive got a story to tell you big man' Glaswegians were shown contempt by the locals (and rightly so a lot of the time).

Theres also a definite difference between the 'toonsers' (city dwellers) and teuchters (country folk), personally I preferred the Teuchters once I could work out what the hell they were saying :cool:

I have lived in Aberdeen and shire all my life (36 years) and move to Perth this weekend. It is true there has not been a recession in Aberdeen, we are in an economic bubble with the oil and gas much like Perth. £35,000 is not a lot to support 4 kids with up here but if you get another £2000 per month that would make it more like a $50K salary here so that would be much more realistic and comfortable for you. I have to tottaly dsagree with some of the comments on here about unfriendly people. You will find many Mums have husbands that work offshore so are single Mum's half the time. They are very understanding and supportive of people in similar positions and if you make a bit of an effort you should be able to build a circle of friends for you and your kids.

Where about in Aberdeen are you being offered work? Public transport is pretty terrible. Good if you want to get into the centre of town but rubbish for commuting from a suburb to an office. I have lived all over so if you want to PM me with your job offer locations I will try and point you in the right direction for looking at house prices and schools.

PomPrincesses, I lived in Aberdeen for 7 years and let me tell you wild horses could not drag me back there. It is COLD, COLD, COLD, rains for 99% of the time and pours down for the rest, blows a bloody gale most of the time and be warned the people are NOT friendly. They're routinely xenophobic, especially towards the English. The NE coast Scots have a mean-spirited culture, are very cliquey, and it's just one of those towns where most locals aren't interested in making new friends, because they've lived there all their lives. Most Aberdonians who leave don't go back. The city is uniformly grey and drab, rarely sees the sun and it is "only two hours from the Cairngorms !". Says it all. I hated it.

Bollocks!!