Deepdown do you plan to stay

Phil & Vikki

I think never say never...... We have been her 11 months and love it so far, but we have an open book on what we will do further down the line. I think "forever" is a long time and puts pressure on us. We will stay here all the time we feel happy to and if one day we feel we really want to go home we will. But for now were having a ball :cute:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left the UK five years ago with no plans to return. Hong Kong, where I'm living at the moment, was always a relatively short-term thing to try to save some cash.

I don't miss the UK at all but I don't know for sure where I'll end up - HK is just not viable forever. I hope the next place becomes 'home'.

I think when people emigrate it's hard to say it's "forever" as most go on a temp long stay working visa so there is always that element of things not working out from a career perspective that could affect how long you stay.

Why do you say most people? Of all the people I know who have moved only one couple were on a temp visa and converted that after 6 months as she was a nurse.

Never plan for "forever" because you never know where life is going to take you. Once your freedom to move is taken away then even paradise can feel like hell - no one likes a jail. I don't think I ever saw Australia as "forever" but it seemed like a good idea for a long time - then it stopped being a good idea and another idea was better. I think I'll be backpacking until I drop dead - or t least I hope I will!

Ten years ago I thought I would be back in Canada by now, so it was a surprise that after much consideration we decided to come to Australia instead. However I always feel that Canada is still a part of me, no matter how far away I am from it and deep down I still miss it (and have done every day since I left to be with my husband). I never felt that about the UK and that was where I was born and grew up. Funny how some places get to you and others don't.

I actually think that if in the future we decided Australia was not for us, we would end up back in Canada and not back in the UK (which would upset the in-laws no end but would not surprise my relatives in the slightest).

Ten years ago I thought I would be back in Canada by now, so it was a surprise that after much consideration we decided to come to Australia instead. However I always feel that Canada is still a part of me, no matter how far away I am from it and deep down I still miss it (and have done every day since I left to be with my husband). I never felt that about the UK and that was where I was born and grew up. Funny how some places get to you and others don't.

I actually think that if in the future we decided Australia was not for us, we would end up back in Canada and not back in the UK (which would upset the in-laws no end but would not surprise my relatives in the slightest).

I spent 4 years in Canada, short time really. My youngest daughter was born there. When the job ended without us applying for PR we had to return to UK. I left a piece of my heart there. It will always remain there as much as Perth is now home. I feel exactly the same as you, if I wasn't here I would be in Canada.

I spent 4 years in Canada, short time really. My youngest daughter was born there. When the job ended without us applying for PR we had to return to UK. I left a piece of my heart there. It will always remain there as much as Perth is now home. I feel exactly the same as you, if I wasn't here I would be in Canada.

As I left one of my close friends said to me, "You can take the girl out of Canada, but you will never take Canada out of the girl" and it was true for me.

Oh I feel a pang of missing it coming on again.

As I left one of my close friends said to me, "You can take the girl out of Canada, but you will never take Canada out of the girl" and it was true for me.

Oh I feel a pang of missing it coming on again.

My grandad was Canadian and I have 2nd cousins there who I am in touch with and of course my daughter will always be Canadian citizen so who knows, I may end up back there! Fantastic country, fantastic people but lets be honest, pretty poopy weather!!

Guest Jean95

My husband and I have been in Oz for 26 years and are returning to the UK in September/October. It has been a combination of losing close family members, serious illness for me and also I have to say financial considerations also come into it. Our assets are worth a lot more if we realise them here and convert them to sterling. I don't want to work until I am 67 and with the cost of living in WA sky high we can have a very good quality of life in Scotland. For us the time has come for a change and another chapter in our lives.

Guest guest74886
My husband and I have been in Oz for 26 years and are returning to the UK in September/October. It has been a combination of losing close family members, serious illness for me and also I have to say financial considerations also come into it. Our assets are worth a lot more if we realise them here and convert them to sterling. I don't want to work until I am 67 and with the cost of living in WA sky high we can have a very good quality of life in Scotland. For us the time has come for a change and another chapter in our lives.

Are you keeping an eye on the exchange rate, it's bouncing around at the moment, I felt glad that we sent our house money back last week, that's one worry off our backs, we are aiming to be off at roughly the same time for many of the same reasons.

Been here 21 years and no intentions of going back. Don't have any other family here and we know the parents aren't going to last forever but they are going to die whether we are in the UK or Aus.

My partner has just lost his Dad, who had a stroke back in February. He passed away on the 12th of May, and we are incredibly grateful that we got to spend 3 weeks with him in April. He was only 65. I simply cannot go through this with 3 more parents. The experience has made us seriously re-prioritise and all the sunny days and beaches cannot make up for quality time spent with the people you love. All I can say is you don't know how you'll feel about this until it happens to you. Everyone dies, but most of them don't simply drop dead. Many will require care and compassion in their final days/weeks/months/years and you seriously have to think about who is responsible or should I say compelled to provide that. I know that when I am older and about to fall off the perch, I would want my children to be there just like I will be there for my parents and they are there for their parents.

My partner has just lost his Dad, who had a stroke back in February. He passed away on the 12th of May, and we are incredibly grateful that we got to spend 3 weeks with him in April. He was only 65. I simply cannot go through this with 3 more parents. The experience has made us seriously re-prioritise and all the sunny days and beaches cannot make up for quality time spent with the people you love. All I can say is you don't know how you'll feel about this until it happens to you. Everyone dies, but most of them don't simply drop dead. Many will require care and compassion in their final days/weeks/months/years and you seriously have to think about who is responsible or should I say compelled to provide that. I know that when I am older and about to fall off the perch, I would want my children to be there just like I will be there for my parents and they are there for their parents.

See your point and I know I am lucky in that my Sister has got my Mum and Dad to move closer to them and my nieces. She does heaps for them and her and the nieces are always popping round. They are both in their 90's now and my Mum struggles to get around. They get a fair bit of help from aged care. Someone comes in every Day to help give my Mum a wash, helps with meals, that sort of stuff. If I was in the UK we were living over the other side of the country anyway, so I don't think I would have been any more help. Might have seen them more but that's about it.

My wife moved away from her parents when she was young too. She was living in nurses residence from about 17. Used to being away from them.

Her Mum has had Althzeimers for years and is slowly getting worse. I feel for her Dad as he is trying to cope but it's ruined his life too. Her sister lives in the same village so helps a lot. Her other Sister lives in Tolpuddle and we are more help than she is.

Dunno, maybe we are just selfish but I had sort of accepted that I wouldn't see them again last time I was there. It's not like I really enjoy their company when I'm there anyway. Never really got on that well with my Dad and even though he's mellowed over the years he's still the same person deep down.

I speak to my Sister a lot and I wouldn't say she's enjoying the responsibility. It took her years to get them to move from their old house in Chesterfield and now she gets blamed for every little thing that goes wrong. Sometimes I think she wished she left them stay where they were.

We have already said to our kids just put us in a home or something and if we end up like my Wife's Mum, just shoot us. Don't feel obliged to be looking after us when we get old. Would be nice if they do but they have a life to live too.

I think it depends on the situation, I have friends who have PR already and going back is not really an issue , however for us, we have a 457 and as we have been here 2 years was about to begin the PR process but things have changed a little . The job we have over here is not on the skills list and therefore we would have to go for a employer sponsered PR , and they must say that the job is secure for the 2 years after the PR is granted .Who can say that with certainty these days and therefore we may not be able to stay where we are , where we have made a real effort to get on and fit in. The thought of returning to the UK is fine with me as we came on a"whim" just to see how it went , but my husband is fretting now that as we are getting onto 40 years old once we leave with no PR , or citizenship , there will be no chance of a return. I think people come with a certain view of how things will be and then work/ location etc change and going back is a safe option. Financially too , it costs for everything here if you don't have PR and we have missed out on so many helpful benefits that our friends have and find it quite difficult to afford holidays etc , so it's not as rosy as we thought it was going to be. It's a dream to live here really but sometimes it just does not tick all the boxes.

Are you keeping an eye on the exchange rate, it's bouncing around at the moment, I felt glad that we sent our house money back last week, that's one worry off our backs, we are aiming to be off at roughly the same time for many of the same reasons.

That is a good point. It used to be the other way around, but now it has all changed. The money you get for your place ehre would get you a nice place in the UK (or Scotland).

This is a great point and I think this hits the nail on the head.

It's a dream to live here really but sometimes it just does not tick all the boxes.

That is the thing sometimes it does not work as the dream that we sometimes think it will be, not ticking all the boxes :(

Edited by Phil & Vikki

Guest chris955

Yes a very good point, putting it in very basic terms to buy £1 is now costing 12c more than it did a few weeks ago.

This may be a bit of a strange question, but recently the people that we have spoken to all seem to have a long term plan to return back to the UK. This may not be straight away, but there does seem to be a bit of a trend we have noticed. This may be due to the fact that we are thinking of options, but we have noticed it more and more. We read something in a post not so long ago where this member was moving back and they said that they would have more of an appreciation for when they have back in the UK. That does seem to be the case with us if we went back.

Our plan was (and still is) a long term one, yet we're realistic enough to know that sometimes life throws you curve balls and you head in another direction. I would never have dreamed i'd be living in Aus yet here I am

I've never understood people who move to Australia (or anywhere else for that matter) with a plan of going for four years or forever or whatever. How on earth do you know how you are going to feel in 1, 4 or even 10 years time?

Once my Australian OH and I became 'serious' we talked about moving to Australia and there was this agreement that we would move one day but for a long time I really didn't want to move. Don't know why, but if I'm completely honest I would have said that at the time I felt like I never really wanted to move. Ten years later and the way I felt changed and it became the right time to start seriously looking in to moving. And now here we are. And who knows how long for or how we will feel in another ten years from now.

Nothing wrong with making plans if you like them, just as long as you are flexible enough to change them should circumstances and/or opinions change.