Animal sedation

Hi Bob, our Boxer Dog is all ready for his trip, vaccinations done and he is exploring his crate in his own time. We plan to fly him out a week before we leave Australia and a family member (who he knows) is going to look after him for us. The vet told us because he is a Boxer, he cannot have any prescribed sedative for the flight as he is a high risk breed. Are there any herbal or natural sedating drugs that are suitable for him to take? I am worried that he is going to be really traumatised as the poor boy has to fly from Perth, to Sydney, have a 10 hour stop over there and then fly from Sydney to Dubai and then onto Heathrow.... Any advice would be great. Thanks

Edited by MrsLZB

Hey

Your vet is right and anyway pets flying cant have medical grade sedatives as it is bad for them.

​You can try Zylkene or rescue remedy, but try them soon so you can make sure it does not affect your dog too much.

​Bob

​Great, thanks Bob :)

I wouldn't worry AcidGlitter; all I would do is get them very happy in a crate, if you don't already crate train ,start now. Mine has been since a puppy and she loves it in there, it's her safe place, so I feel happy about her flying knowing that she will feel secure in her crate on the flight. No sedatives are allowed as others have said.

Hey

No medical grade sedatives are allowed, as it is actually bad for them. But you can use things like Zylkene, rescue remedy and the more "herbal" type of things.

​The other thing worth noting is that we can make your furballs a double crate with a mesh divider so they are in together but seperated. that will help them lots. I assume they are under 14 kgs each.

Anything else - shout!

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com

What's the best approach with the crate? Our dog has been in and out of the crate for the last few weeks but I haven't locked him in for longer than a few mins. I had advice from the vet saying just leave the door open and let him come and go and don't shut the door. Jet pets said to do proper training and work up to him being in the crate overnight... Does anyone have any ideas what's best? Thanks

I would say the latter.

Feed him in the crate, give him all good things in the crate, love him in the crate, and build it up slowly. Shut the door for five mintues whilst he eats a Kong stuffed with peanut butter and kibble. Do that a few timse a day and then increase the time, up to an hour, including you leaving the house with him in it for a few minutes at a time.

​Build that up until he's sleeping there over night. Buy a nice new bed and put in a top that smells of you, and make sure it's a lovely place for him.

we used Pet Air in 2011 and the animal arrival reception centre in Sydney. it was a long 28 day days but when she came back to us she had never looked so good. we were so worried about what we were doing to our poor dog and leaving her to do this journey alone.

I can honestl say, it looks like she had the best 28 days than all of us, she was rested, clean had a lovely coat, lost the excess weight she had and was so bright and happy to see us. i couldnt recommend Pet Air enough.

Sorry, meant to add. We asked about sedating out dog before the flight and was told it could be the worse thing to do as she will be looked at and assessed prior to being loaded on to the flight and if she wasnt alert and "normal" she wouldnt be allowed to fly.

My only gripe was i could claim the Virgin Airmiles ;-)

I would say the latter.

Feed him in the crate, give him all good things in the crate, love him in the crate, and build it up slowly. Shut the door for five mintues whilst he eats a Kong stuffed with peanut butter and kibble. Do that a few timse a day and then increase the time, up to an hour, including you leaving the house with him in it for a few minutes at a time.

​Build that up until he's sleeping there over night. Buy a nice new bed and put in a top that smells of you, and make sure it's a lovely place for him.

​Thank you for the advice :)

• 1 month later...
No problem, I am thanking my lucky stars that I crate-trained mine from a puppy, she will hopefully sleep the whole way!

Just an update, my boy landed safe and sound in London yesterday after an epic adventure. Last I heard from the person he is staying with, was that he was playing with a ball. Sounds like he is just fine! He had slept in his crate with the door shut for about 4 nights before he flew and was happy going back in of his own accord during the day. Thanks for the advice, Tulip. And you too Bob! :)