Cost of pet flights

Baldyin38

Guest 7gotooz
Thank goodness we bought a Westie !!! Little and lovely, but also cheap to fly to Oz !

Good luck with any pets on their way!

Andrea x

Hi Andrea

I know what you mean our Dalmation/Jack Russell is fairly small - but when we started this process we also had a Golden Retriever & he weighed in at 40kgs -he was a giant amongest the breed! - We sadly lost him in August - but I hate to think what a quote to have shipped him would be if our little Lucy`s is £1696!!!!! - we would have still taken him but I would have needed a stiff drink before reading the quote!

Take care

Rachel

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
Guest LissaniskaGirl

Hi! We have just (2 weeks ago) flown our 2 dogs out with us from Heathrow to Perth. It is slightly cheaper to fly them to Perth than it is anywhere else and the BIG advantage is that Perth quarantine is significantly nicer for the dogs than Sydney or Melbourne because it is a lot smaller (Melbourne usually has over 200 dogs!). The quarantine staff in Perth are lovely so the 30 days for our dogs is going quite quickly. They have special treatment if needed - one of our dogs got stressed on the flight over and lost a fair amount of weight, and they have upped his feed, and giving him 2 feeds a day now, and he is gaining weight again.

If you can afford it then a company like Pet Air (Jackie is lovely) will be great. There is one lady here who had a nightmare flying her cat as the flight was cancelled due to snow and she was miles away before she found out. Jackie sorted everything - booked her cat on the flight first thing in the morning, and even took her home with her for the night.

But they quoted us the highest.

The best (cheapest) quote we had was from a company called Jet Set Pets (lead guy is called Dom) and we went with this one. He provides a no frills service so you don't get your hand held at the airport, but quite honestly, if it hadn't have been for the snow delaying the documentation from DEFRA who were rubbish and only sent it 5 days before they were due to fly!! It was all pretty smooth, and the dogs were absolutely fine.

We paid £3100 for 2 medium size dogs - labrador and a pointer - through Jet Set Pets.

Pet Air quoted us approx £4500 for their "silver service" which means the only difference in service is they meet us at the airport.

As for the COST of quarantine... much more expensive than we thought it would be! Approx (depending on exchange rate) £800 per dog, for a 30 full day stay.

Hope that's useful - any questions please ask. I know how hard it is emigrating here, let alone with dogs! We just couldn't leave our 2 behind and they love the warm weather... :biggrin:

Guest LissaniskaGirl

ps. Really cheap and easy to do internal flights across Aus with dogs. Can take them as checked baggage!! And only costs $100 AUD for the first 30kgs and $3.50 AUD for each kg after that!

Go with Qantas though. Only other company to do it is Virgin Blue and have heard really bad things.... Qantas are cheaper too!

Guest Clare Robinson
Has anyone received a quote for flying their pet dog with them from Scotland?

We have been quoted £2800 to fly our Irish Red Setter from Scotland to Perth. twice as much as it is to fly all 3 adults across!!

I know us Scots are meant to be canny when it comes to spending a pound or two...but is this correct for flying the pet dog across??

:no:

Hi, I think you need to be canny, as there is so much to pay out. I myself (not from Scotland) but fairly savvy (a nice way of putting it!) shopped around for our cocker spaniel. We found Golden Arrow the cheapest and most helpful. Our quote comes to £2400 all in and that is with the quarentine and everything the otherside, flying with Quantas. I was thinking of asking if I could get a wooden home made up for me and travelling in the same first class service sounds quite good.

I hope this helps, give them a call they were as I say really helpful and I found them to be the cheapest and I called ALL of them!!

Good Luck.

Clare:yes:

Guest LissaniskaGirl

Again... Jet Set Pets cheapest!!! £3100 for TWO dogs!!

That included flights, them applying for the paperwork, crates, vet bedding inside the crates, etc etc

Only things you then have to pay for is the vet blood tests and tick / flea treatment before hand, and quarantine. Which you have to do with anyone else too.

Guest Clare Robinson

Hi, Do you have a contact number for them, I don't know whether I tried them or not. I know I worked my costing with everything in including quarantine, but is worth trying them see what they say.

Thanks Clare

Guest LissaniskaGirl

Sure. It is Dom (and his wife) and their office number is 0208 564 5584. Mobile 07884 003038.

Happy to say I referred you to him - Emily Phillips.

Quite honestly he's not as slick a sales person as some of the others, but organises everything well and answers any questions you have throughout the process in a timely way.

If cost is an issue (which is is for most of us at these prices!!) then I'd definitely recommend them.

:)

I did all the paperwork and organised vaccines & blood tests for our 2 Dobermanns. I had to use an agent at the final stage as airlines won't accept booking from individuals. Almost 4 years ago our dogs cost around 3,500 pounds. Quarantine needs to be booked early as there can be waiting times of 6months for a kennel. There is only one in WA at Byford and the dogs have to stay for 30days. You can visit, but having run a boarding kennels for over 4yrs we decided it was best for the dogs if we didn't. They both coped well, it took them a while to adjust when they came out but nothing to worry about. I'm sure it helped that they shared a kennel.

Hi Twiglet. Thanks for this post. It helps to read it as we're hoping to get our visa soon and are trying to plan things for taking our miniature schnauzer. It's interesting that you said you thought it was better not to visit because of running boarding kennels. We don't have any experience in this and had planned to visit her as much as possible. Does it tend to be more traumatic for them if you see them? We want to do everything we can to make it less stressful for her. Is it likely that she would cope with it better if we didnt visit her? The guilt would be awful but we want what is best for her. Thanks.

Guest LissaniskaGirl

My dogs are currently in quarantine and I was concerned about the same thing. But having spoken to the quarantine staff there and seen the difference in the dogs ourselves it is definitely better if you can visit.

If noone was allowed to visit it might be ok, but the days we go to see ours, you know the dogs that aren't being visited as they are mostly howling or crying. It's really sad and I just want to go in and give them a cuddle...

The quarantine staff are REALLY great so they do their best to get dogs out for exercise if you can't visit, but no guarantee of that so many go without exercise who don't get visited as there aren't many staff... Another reason to visit as our 2 were nuts the first time they got out in a paddock to run around. So much happier with some exercise.

It really depends on the individual dog. We found that dogs don't seem to be aware of time and once they become familiar with the routine etc. of the kennel and familiar with the staff, they settle well. The hardest thing was seeing their faces and the disruption it caused when a member of the family came to visit and left again. What is unsettling is having strangers entering the kennels constantly - our own kennels were quiet most of the time, they were also full most of the time. I don't for one moment believe that the dogs who hadn't been visited were the ones that were howling and crying - that is just down to the individual dog! The quarantine staff said our dogs were absolutely fine and exercised daily, I rang on a regular basis. Our dogs were actually in Australia before we were! ...this is just my opinion I would do whatever feels right to you.

Guest LissaniskaGirl

Yep I agree with strangers causing disruption - obviously that was what I was saying... that if noone was allowed to visit then it would be a different story, but they are, so you will have strangers coming in and out of the kennels whether you visit or not.

I can only say what I am seeing when I go and visit my dogs 3 times a week, every week at the moment (mine get out on the 13th Feb) and see a lot of dogs who aren't being visited sitting by their doors crying or howling or barking or generally running around asking for attention. Of course not every dog is and it helps if you have 2 together.

At the end of the day the dogs are REALLY well looked after by the quarantine staff and monitor each dog individually. So if you can't make it to see your dog, or it just works out better for you for whatever reason to send your dog in advance or whatever, they will be fine, and will come out of quarantine and love you as much as when they went in.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hgierthy

We ended up paying nearly £6k in total to bring our great dane over. We used a company in scotland called pet travel in Dunfermline and the orginal price moved 2 days before dog was due to fly...Leaving us with the decision of either paying the extra 1.3k or losing what we had already paid....something to do with the hadnt expect'd him to be so big??? Hes a great dane what size did they expect him to be?? Anyhow we also had to pay vets direct for costs of blood tests and all extra vaccinations along with quarintine. You also need a puppy passport if you are intending ontraveling back to the uk, otherwise the quarintine for uk is 6mths!! Quarintine in perth gets paid prior to collection of the dog also....so when all added up i think i have the most expensive dane in oz!!

There appears to be a lot of pet owners on this thread who are in denial about the scandalous cost of moving animals from UK to OZ when migrating. It is scandalous!

Everyone, it seems, is being taken for a ride by price fixing and in my opinion its probably a legacy of Australia's highly unionized ports.

Other countries dont appear to have these issues.

I recall being at Bangkok airport a year back. I was checking in for a flight to the UK and was amazed to see two moderate sized dogs being checked in at the check-in desk next to me. The dogs were in pet crates but were let out of the crates for 5 minutes to have a quick bowl of water at the the desk. Then they were put back and put on the conveyor just like a suitcase. It was all very casual.

I just had to quiz the owners! They were moving back to Germany. I didnt ask the price of the dog's ticket but I wouldnt be surprised if it was much more than excess baggage + anay vet checks.

I think people are kidding themselves if they think they are getting any value for money or that their pet is being specially looked after when they are within the airline system. As a commercial pilot I can assure you that the pilot and first officer do have a line item on their checklist to turn on heating in the hold if the flight is carrying livestock. They also get a few visits in flight to check they are OK. However I can also admit seeing Qantas baggage handlers lobbing cages containing dogs much like they were suitcases. They are a rough bunch.

As for 30 days in quarantine. Does anyone believe that it is anything but an overprotective money making exersize that couldnt be simply replaced by a vet check?

Guest hgierthy

i totally agree with you ....after my dog having every blood test known, vaccinations and worming and also 4 days quarintine before going on the flight..it is proven that he is fit and healthy..more than they do for us humans who can board a flight with any illness. To then do 30days quarantine is excessive, to tell the truth if i had done my homework properly im not so sure hed be here as at 6k he should have been flying first class!!

Guest LissaniskaGirl

And to top it all off... now we're here... Australia is one of the most un dog friendly places in the world! Many of the beaches and parks do not permit dogs at all, or only between certain hours. The off leash hours are quite small and not clearly signed.

And the rental market is a nightmare here now - way more demand than supply.

My partner and I are both 30, senior management professionals, with plenty of savings in the bank etc etc. The minute you mention 2 dogs estate agents faces fall... and you're faced with paying several months up front, additional bond, etc etc before you are even considered among 40 other applicants.

It seemed a little better in Perth and from what we're told ok in Brisbane too, but as for Melbourne and Sydney... allow several months to find a rental, and do not come in Jan - Apr as it's the busiest time of year for trying to find a rental.

They have these Open for Inspections where 40 other couples all turn up at the same time, and we've been told to stand any chance we also have had to do a rental resume / CV for us and the dogs(!) just to be considered.

It's crazy.

Anyone who knows anyone with any property to rent in Melbourne with a decent back yard... please get in touch!! (If you have money and want to invest in property.. also get in touch. The rental market here would have some serious money to made... but you need money to make money and sadly ours is tied up in the UK until Gordon Brown gets his act together and pulls the British Pound out of the pit it is in!!)

Everyone, it seems, is being taken for a ride by price fixing and in my opinion its probably a legacy of Australia's highly unionized ports.

Other countries dont appear to have these issues.

I recall being at Bangkok airport a year back. I was checking in for a flight to the UK and was amazed to see two moderate sized dogs being checked in at the check-in desk next to me. The dogs were in pet crates but were let out of the crates for 5 minutes to have a quick bowl of water at the the desk. Then they were put back and put on the conveyor just like a suitcase. It was all very casual.

The price of the flight is determined by the airlines, not the ports.

Other countries don't have these issues because, unlike Australia, they're not trying to keep out diseases which are exotic to Australia: the other countries already have them.

Everything about animals is casual in Thailand. I remember watching an open-air dog desexing day in Chiang Mai. You brought your dog to the local park, plonked him on a table - shade provided by umbrella - he/she was desexed, everyone stood around and watched, then you carried dog home.

Guest The Pom Queen
And to top it all off... now we're here... Australia is one of the most un dog friendly places in the world! Many of the beaches and parks do not permit dogs at all, or only between certain hours.

Hi

Can I ask where you are? Melbourne has some lovely dog friendly areas and some great off leash parks.

For beaches there are 7 just in the Port Philip Area that you can access anytime all through summer:

Middle Park

between Langridge Street & 140 metres past Fraser Street toward St Kilda

West St Kilda

from St Kilda Pier along Pier Road for 400 metres towards Middle Park Beach

St Kilda

from Brooks Jetty, opposite the back of Luna Park, to St Kilda Marina.

Port Melbourne

Sandridge Beach between the rock groyne opposite Barak Road & the rock groyne opposite Cumberland Road

Port Melbourne

between Lagoon Pier & south west to Dow Street

Out of season dogs are allowed on all of the beaches apart from two which are

Sandridge Beach, Port Melbourne, including all of the beach and the Perce White Reserve.

To allow access from Todd Road to the Webb Dock walkway, dogs on leashes are permitted on the sealed road reserve including the car park and footpath from Todd Road to the Webb Dock walkway (see map).

West Beach, St Kilda, from a point 400m north of the St Kilda Pier to a point in line with the end of the pavilion on the beach, past Cowderoy Street.

I have a list of dog friendly reserves as well so if you want them just shout.

Kate:wubclub:

The price of the flight is determined by the airlines, not the ports.

Sorry didnt really mean to indicate the ports but really meant the ripoff nature of the Australian shipping companies and their UK partners.

I think the airline charges will be a small part of what people are having to pay.

I suspect a price fixing ripoff is being executed by the shipping companies passing the cargo [your dog in a crate] to the airline.

Over a few years I have separately shipped a crate, a crated animal and two or three 40 foot containers between UK and Oz. Every time I was 'held over a barrel' in one way or another. Easy for these companies to do when they have your stuff and can rack up very storage fees if you dont pay them what they want.

I emplore everyone to get a fixed quote and not an estimate and to shop around.

Guest Les & Woz

Hi

We brought our 2 dogs to Melbourne. They are Jack Russell size and the total cost for everything was around £3000. Great Dane would be at least double so can see how it could cost £6K. Know it's a lot but you have no option really!

Guest Ste and Cheryl

Hi,

our quote for our staffy is £1174.

And for our staffy and my parents staffy - £2088.

Can anyone give any rough prices on quarentine prices please ? Are they about £600-800 for the 30 days ?

Thank you x

Guest hgierthy

Just checkd my quarintine bill and it was $1338 for my dane....can only suggest you get confirmation of you dogs travel prices as my orginal quote less bloods, vacc, quarintine etc was £ 3296 and they then put the price up by another £1500 2 days prior to dog traveling. If a fixed price then wow, very impressive ..goes to show how much we were had!! We did try to shop around for quote but most pet travel agents are down south and could only find these guys in scotland...

Guest Ste and Cheryl

Thank you !

That's just her flight, we've got to pay seperste for her micro chip, passport, injections and blood tests etc. But all that's about £200.

my parents have dealt with The company who we've got that price off quite abit so ate friendly with them, they shipped there staffy to Cyprus and back and also dealt with their container to Cyprus and back.

If anyone would like colins details just message us

X

Archived