What made you throw the towel in ?

PomPrincesses

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris955
Good to know my life is entertaining somebody

Unfortunately being a public forum some will inevitably (incredibly) find entertainment in anything, even in hardship.

Guest chris955
Like homewardbound588 who made a lot of money in Australia and could use the beneficial exchange rate to retire to bucolic village life in Herefordshire. :wink:

​Absolutely, to be fair though it started in the UK back when the exchange rate favoured movement in the other direction so its a little from column A and a little from column B :)

[h=2]What made you throw the towel in? [/h]

The boredom of the way of life in-between going fishing, going to the beach etc. It was so empty. Thinking, going to bed at 9:00pm can't be right, which seems to be the norm for a lot of people there, I'm nowhere near retirement age yet? What really did it for me was going to the local club and pretending it was a good night out when we won the meat tray raffle.

What made you throw the towel in?

The boredom of the way of life in-between going fishing, going to the beach etc. It was so empty. Thinking, going to bed at 9:00pm can't be right, which seems to be the norm for a lot of people there, I'm nowhere near retirement age yet? What really did it for me was going to the local club and pretending it was a good night out when we won the meat tray raffle.

9pm mate.. You stay up that late..?? I know a lad who went to bed at 7.30 as there's nothing to do or nothing on tv, he lasted 6 months and has gone back. Nice lad too

Didn't think about it properly, jumped in 2 footed and regretted it after 4 month, plus half my family live here. If I knew then what I know now..........

It is difficult to know how it will be prior to actually setting foot in a place. Although an afternoon's reading of Poms in OZ on matters relating to Perth would have certainly set my alarm bells ringing.

You can look at it like that or you can take a more positive stance. Doesn't living in Perth grant on average nine months of extra life than living in UK? Must be all that sleep..lol

It is difficult to know how it will be prior to actually setting foot in a place. Although an afternoon's reading of Poms in OZ on matters relating to Perth would have certainly set my alarm bells ringing.

I wish there was a few more people like myself at the timeof the move. I like to be as honest as I can and see things through the eyes of a new arrival, not somebody who has been here years writing about their perfect life which is almost impossible for newbies arriving. Has it been a mistake...? Was I sucked in by a 4x2 by the beach...??? Yes really, but I now know where I want to live and what lifestyle we want. I'm only here for the money now, when I've got what I need we're off. I'm sick to death of the beach and parks, I'm sick to death of being told what a wonderful lifestyle we have.. What lifestyle.??? Going to bed early, walking down a lifeless beach, sole less park. No thanks

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic but it seems to me that regardless of dreams wants wishes the OP has to be guided by the practicalities of the situation

1- how much grace is DIAC prepared to give in one of the pair finding work and can one stay without the other

2- if previously they have struggled on joint wages can they realistically ever make it work in oz without radical lifestyle changes and if so are those changes prepared to be made.

3- if the financial situation has got totally dire how much longer can they survive before having to leave ie if realistically only enough cash left for 4 weeks then unless a job is found within that time frame then it's time to go home.

its not nice to take the kids away from friends and places they like, as a parent its very upsetting but being so broke you are struggling to meet their everyday needs is emotionally far worse.

To the OP, your move seems to have been somewhat of a struggle from the get go and I remember you posting about thinking of moving states, it certainly doesn't add to any enjoyment when there's no work for one of you and you're wondering how to meet bills, school fees etc.

Your children are young enough to manage a move back to the UK, you and hubby need to decide what you're going to do as a couple - once your decision is made it may just take a bit of the weight off your shoulders. Life really is too short to be unhappy if there's a solution that will make a difference.

Good luck x

One does not have a clue what you are saying. Flogging? Capital punishment? Cats an Dogs living together?

With censure and censorship, free speech cannot prevail.

BigD

Well since this site has denigrated look it up if you don't know the meaning of it to an all time low, you clearly read back and see to whom I replied. And frankly, its the tone of the replies, they are borderline malicious regardless of what she the OP may have said in the past it seems certain parties take great comfort in flogging someone and look that up if you have too, when they are clearly in need of support and there are far too many of these tirades against people on here censorship is not conducive to free speech, it is in fact directly contrary it restricts ponder that. I never mentioned cats and dogs. Flogging is a euphemism perhaps you would prefer attack, but as I already stated I was drawing upon someone else's remarks.

Edited by noworriesmate
repaired broken quote

How foul- sounds like FNQ or Perth? Neither of which are typical of the bulk of Australia. It used to be like that everywhere in the 50s but most moved on!

Paul I am interested what you would be doing at nights in the UK that you can't do in Perth? Also life is too short to live somewhere you hate because of money

Probably sat in the pub playing darts and/or dominos. At least that's what we used to do, when we had kids and a mortgage though we either couldn't afford it or knew we would get woken up by a crying baby. Not a good feeling after a few pints.

There are plenty of pubs and clubs here and more opening up all the time btw.

Paul I am interested what you would be doing at nights in the UK that you can't do in Perth? Also life is too short to live somewhere you hate because of money

Eat out once a week, pub one night, and then again on a Friday after work with a kebab after. See my mates and watch tv. That was a standard Monday to Friday.plus the walk down the high street to pick up any thing I needed. So here we have 10-12 bucks a pint ,I paid 30 bucks for my last Chinese ( beef Black bean +special fried rice) never again. Tv .. Well we all know about the tv here, no hight stree to lose yourself for an hour or so and no close friends who I really want to see. About being here for the money I look at it as short term pain for long term gain. I'm suffering now so we don't suffer to much when we return. I do love the old ' what can't you do hear that you did back there..? ' how about start living again , no wonder people hit the sack at 8

Sounds like you are missing your mates and need to get out more and find new ones. Perth is not to blame for you missing your mates. Also depends where you are living in Perth same as in UK. Not everyone in UK could just walk down the high street as they would be living too far away from it in a new estate same as here. As for TV there is always Foxtel. I can assure you lots of people are 'living' here lol. I can even walk down a high street here. Sure beer etc., is more expensive but most people earn more here. Anyway as I said before life is too short for 'short term pain' as you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Eat out once a week, pub one night, and then again on a Friday after work with a kebab after. See my mates and watch tv. That was a standard Monday to Friday.plus the walk down the high street to pick up any thing I needed. So here we have 10-12 bucks a pint ,I paid 30 bucks for my last Chinese ( beef Black bean +special fried rice) never again. Tv .. Well we all know about the tv here, no hight stree to lose yourself for an hour or so and no close friends who I really want to see. About being here for the money I look at it as short term pain for long term gain. I'm suffering now so we don't suffer to much when we return. I do love the old ' what can't you do hear that you did back there..? ' how about start living again , no wonder people hit the sack at 8

On a percentage of salary though Paul the 10-12$ pints must be about the same % of what you might pay in the UK? It's only that you know what UK prices are that you feel ripped off. tbh mate it's only 10-12$ in the most expensive joints for stuff like guiness and kilkenny. You might now write something like "but who drinks that swill VB". It's what you get used to. We went to a pub in Melbourne by the River, nice spot but we paid for it. Guy in front of me was drinking Asahi thought I'll try that for a change, until I heard the barmaid say $18 a pint, the only thing I could see on the bar was VB. Local brew $8 a pint. Still pricey but tasted OK.

I took out the father in law to the local when we first moved here. Not the expensive "locals" down at Hillarys but the cheap local where the real locals go. We were used to having 6 pints of Robbies ale in the UK no problem. We had 6 pints of VB and we had a serious stagger on the way home. UK beer on average 3.5%, VB 5.2% or thereabouts.

As for the TV I don't find it any worse or better than the UK tbh. TV is TV and we watch what's on. Taken to watching a lot of ABC and Friday nights is ace. Live footy (love footy btw) then Silent Witness and a new show, good cop. Raw stuff, based in Liverpool.

I'm guessing the same American dross gets shown on UK TV as it does here so there's no escaping that. Don't watch any of the CSI or reality stuff and if your preference is East Enders and Corro then you belong back in blighty mate.

Perth isn't for everyone but the ones, like me, that think it's the best place in the world are still around. One of our friends is going to live in the West Indies for a couple of years and a few of the guys were saying what a lucky bloke he is. They were a bit surprised when I said it's OK but not as nice as here. They were mostly from Perth and all Aussies so had never really thought about it like that.

Ah well, wouldn't do if we all liked the same place.:cool:

Guest The Pom Queen
Well since this site has denigrated look it up if you don't know the meaning of it to an all time low, you clearly read back and see to whom I replied. And frankly, its the tone of the replies, they are borderline malicious regardless of what she the OP may have said in the past it seems certain parties take great comfort in flogging someone and look that up if you have too, when they are clearly in need of support and there are far too many of these tirades against people on here censorship is not conducive to free speech, it is in fact directly contrary it restricts ponder that. I never mentioned cats and dogs. Flogging is a euphemism perhaps you would prefer attack, but as I already stated I was drawing upon someone else's remarks.

I am sorry you feel this way and from your comments I can only presume you haven't been subjected to the tirade of personal attacks and abuse the OP has thrown on members who have tried to help her in the past. There is only so many lies and abuse members can take before they retaliate. :yes:

Now if the OP story is true, and putting all the past behind us, I really do hope she manages to sort things out but to be honest as mentioned before in previous conversations, I don't think Sydney is going to solve anything for you, especially as you couldn't afford to eat and were going to bed starving whilst earning $260k per year.

On a percentage of salary though Paul the 10-12$ pints must be about the same % of what you might pay in the UK? It's only that you know what UK prices are that you feel ripped off. tbh mate it's only 10-12$ in the most expensive joints for stuff like guiness and kilkenny. You might now write something like "but who drinks that swill VB". It's what you get used to. We went to a pub in Melbourne by the River, nice spot but we paid for it. Guy in front of me was drinking Asahi thought I'll try that for a change, until I heard the barmaid say $18 a pint, the only thing I could see on the bar was VB. Local brew $8 a pint. Still pricey but tasted OK.

I took out the father in law to the local when we first moved here. Not the expensive "locals" down at Hillarys but the cheap local where the real locals go. We were used to having 6 pints of Robbies ale in the UK no problem. We had 6 pints of VB and we had a serious stagger on the way home. UK beer on average 3.5%, VB 5.2% or thereabouts.

As for the TV I don't find it any worse or better than the UK tbh. TV is TV and we watch what's on. Taken to watching a lot of ABC and Friday nights is ace. Live footy (love footy btw) then Silent Witness and a new show, good cop. Raw stuff, based in Liverpool.

I'm guessing the same American dross gets shown on UK TV as it does here so there's no escaping that. Don't watch any of the CSI or reality stuff and if your preference is East Enders and Corro then you belong back in blighty mate.

Perth isn't for everyone but the ones, like me, that think it's the best place in the world are still around. One of our friends is going to live in the West Indies for a couple of years and a few of the guys were saying what a lucky bloke he is. They were a bit surprised when I said it's OK but not as nice as here. They were mostly from Perth and all Aussies so had never really thought about it like that.

Ah well, wouldn't do if we all liked the same place.:cool:

Well I'll leave it there then on regards prices,the massive difference between the two country's are.. My money all be it lower in the UK went a dame site further there than here. If you believe it's equal than I suggest you take a trip back. I'm not prepared to drive all over wa to get a cheaper pint,meal etc . And as for tv.. I thought UK tv was crap before I left, I don't need to say no more on that front .