What made you throw the towel in ?

PomPrincesses

Since arriving in Perth I think we've had about six weeks of both being employed and one flipping disaster after another, you couldn't make it up. So after being promised pr one week later hubby has been let go.

we have about three weeks before we'd literally run out of money. People back home will lend us some but it feels like throwing good money after bad.

ive had nice days on the beach, met nice people but honestly the grind of worrying about bills etc just sucks any positivity out of me.

i know the UK is on it's arse too though.

​what to do

Hope things work out for you! What work are you and your husband in?

It is very worrying, I know the feeling as will many, I've struggled in the UK when my husband was out of work and I was trying to make ends meet only on my wage. I really hope things turn around for u!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you bothered reading the OP's posts or just jumped on the get yourself back regardless bandwagon? :rolleyes:

Sure. They will do what is best for them, I hope, but generalisations like UK is on it's arse and the kids won't cope is contraindicated by the bulk of returnees. So they may be making decisions based on false premises although I would assume that they will take their next best option. Or do you just want to keep banging the UK is doomed, stick it out for longer drum.

Guest Guest 47403
Sure. They will do what is best for them, I hope, but generalisations like UK is on it's arse and the kids won't cope is contraindicated by the bulk of returnees. So they may be making decisions based on false premises although I would assume that they will take their next best option. Or do you just want to keep banging the UK is doomed, stick it out for longer drum.

Well it's a good job most of us have said the UK is not actually on it's arse, children are resilient but moving them around too often and continually breaking the bonds and relationships they build can lead to them to not wanting to form those friendship and bonds in the future.

Interesting you (and your husband) have been offered jobs without even applying :shocked:, In my 23 yrs working since leaving school no one has ever offered me a job out of the blue...........must move in the wrong circles eh!

Yep - IT - India looks cheap - but when you factor in the maintenance, it rarely is.

Do you work in IT by any chance as we are exactly the same, if we need to take on developers for a project we always recruit from India now.

Believe me we are in the UK, we came here last year, and it is not on its arse. Of course there are things here inherited from the last useless Government but most people are doing fine, not reading the Daily Mail helps ;)

To be fair I do not think the OP wants to hear how well you are doing at this point in time. From what I have read and gleaned from your threads you were by no means on the bones of a.............. when you returned to UK. Its disappointing that more support for the actual problem is not provided instead of pointing out all the time that UK or Aus or wherever you like is not going down the gurgler. For a lot of people losing their money, having no job, needs sympathy not an argument about where is best to be.

Sorry but I could not let this go as this op has reason to be worried about where they will live in the future.

I make no bones about liking my life in Aus however I do not think Aus is kind to everyone, just the same as I think some people have a lovely life in UK, a lot in both places are doing it tough.

Just getting it off ones chest when in this predicament is good for the soul.

We're chucking the towel In because we are really bored living in perth, it's a large town with no escape at all. It just like living in a large uk town ( ie Norwich) and never being able to go anywhere else. We're hours away from any other towns ( which are a smaller version of perth ) and 4 hours by plane away from another city. Cabin fever has kicked in big time. There are more reasons but they've been flogged to death, but that's our main one.

Since arriving in Perth I think we've had about six weeks of both being employed and one flipping disaster after another, you couldn't make it up. So after being promised pr one week later hubby has been let go.

we have about three weeks before we'd literally run out of money. People back home will lend us some but it feels like throwing good money after bad.

ive had nice days on the beach, met nice people but honestly the grind of worrying about bills etc just sucks any positivity out of me.

​what to do

I can empathise with you. I moved to Ipswich (near Brisbane) with my husband in October last year. My husband is an aussie and this is where his family live so this is where we moved. I have not been able to find a full time or even part time permanent job so far, the most I have done is 2 months of temp work but that has now finished. My husband works as a casual storeperson and on average works 3 days a week, so in a bad week we could be surviving on $400/$500 between 2 of us. We had to bite the bullet not long ago and my husband signed up to Centrelink for some assistance, however so far we have only received $60 from them as eventhough I can't claim they have been taking my wages in to consideration (I have stopped working now though). To say things suck is an understatement. We do have some savings but we are slowly going through these. Even though my husband has family here there is only so much they can help us with, we have now been considering moving to Melbourne as friends of ours are also interested in moving there so we could share the costs and share the rent with them and also the job market looks more promising there. My husband is also in the first stages of applying for a defence force job, his dream was always to join the Qld police (his dad and one of his brothers are both coppers) but he hasn't been able to pass the literacy test (after 2 attempts) and the application process as a whole is very lengthy and costly. So he has decided to try for a trade in the army.

Have you thought about maybe moving to another state if you can? My sister lives in Perth and she always tells me how expensive it is there.

Anyway, whatever you decide I hope it works out for you, do what's best for you and your family

​what to do

Go back as you don't seem to be managing financially here. If I remember rightly you complained in earlier posts that you had bugger all left at the end of each week from a joint salary of $200k and that you also employed a nanny...............nanny's wages would have been dead money wouldn't it, if you've only had 6 weeks of joint employment?

Guest Guest16631

.......as I have said before.........we set the limits on our lifestyles.....

.......and if you feel one place can fulfill your ..wants ..better than another........for your happiness make your choice....

......but it is worth remembering that often it is only our ..needs ...that can be met...in any initial move...

......wants.....take time and planning......

......to swap one life for another........often we have to reevaluate what it is that is most important to us.....

.......what once seemed a must have........can be put on the back burner....

.......though lack of work is often the deciding factor........if there is no alternative work ,anywhere..

​........I wish you well at this unsettling time in your journey.........tink x

The UK isn't totally on it's arse it's in a very bad state but other places are worse (Spain and Greece for example)

I'd think very long and hard about returning currently just by virtue of the unemployment figures Perth has one of the lowest in the world! Where as the UK well I'll let you research the current state of affairs it isn't good despite some people claiming to neither be affected or know anyone affected by the downturn it has happened and is ongoing................at the end of the day it's your lives and your decisions, I personally wouldn't want to be returning currently without a secure job offer.

While I agree in general with the logic here...if they are running out of cash and COL is less in UK its easier to meet a minimum threshold of what you need to survive. I just read somewhere where only 60% of Aussies have what is deemed a full time continuing job....the rest are temp/contract/part time....now the question begs how many of them are underemployed. Here in Adelaide the economy is far tighter and the Uni's who are having budget cut backs and have lived off International students particularly the G8 one has budget issues are in a sorry state..they are the principal reason the city survives at all. Another article see below from Deutsche Bank outlines the issue of cost that those of us who are here recognise....its ludicrous....and its not just down to the exchange rate mechanism its function of wages control mechanisms and given Perth is far more expensive than Adelaide if you don't have work and rents and weekly food bills are high as they are your COL must be one hell of a stress I know it is for us....I know my COL is at least 75% higher but yes in some strange ways my SOL is higher...but it doesn't subtract from the fact that when things are expensive kt makes sense to live somewhere where it is considerably cheaper. The employment market here is far tighter than they let on..all glossed over with stats.

heres the article on cost of living: http://www.news.com.au/money/cost-of-living/deutsche-bank-says-australia-is-one-of-worlds-most-expensive-countries/story-fnagkbpv-1226627375923

I agree with what's been said regarding sitting down with your husband it's sounds like it's impacting on your relationship but you need to decide one way or the other is he really against a move back?

However I would put my children's happiness above everything else in my decision making we all have different values.

One would think though that the parents happiness would be the decider. Unlikely kids will be happy if parents struggling.

Kids will adopt where ever.

The difference in the unemployment rates are correct unless people think they know better than the various agencies employed to come up the figures for both governments.

Some on here believe the unemployment rate for Oz is under reported it feeds there agenda, obviously the UK rate is spot on (as that also feeds there agenda and means there more on par)

I wish you all the best with your decision just look to other areas for advice too other than PIO as the advice on here is usually biased on both sides of the fence.

Unemlpoyment rates do not include folk living of savings and have no contact with the dole or those under employed doing a few hours a week. There are plenty here in that situation here in Perth.

UK rate is not spot on either. What with thousands on breeches at any time and other ploys to keep the figure lower than it really is.

Interesting you (and your husband) have been offered jobs without even applying :shocked:, In my 23 yrs working since leaving school no one has ever offered me a job out of the blue...........must move in the wrong circles eh!

Quoll is in Cambridge which, IIRC, has the lowest unemployment rate in the UK (virtually nil). I'm also guessing that both she and her husband have skill sets which would be particularly appropriate there.

We're chucking the towel In because we are really bored living in perth, it's a large town with no escape at all. It just like living in a large uk town ( ie Norwich) and never being able to go anywhere else. We're hours away from any other towns ( which are a smaller version of perth ) and 4 hours by plane away from another city. Cabin fever has kicked in big time. There are more reasons but they've been flogged to death, but that's our main one.

Perth is somewhat like that. I miss a more urban environment. Cabin fever does kick in at times. Not a city for all types that's for sure.

​what to do

If you don't have PR you will have to go home anyway unless he gets another sponsor.

It is nice to read facts rather than scaremongering. As you say the difference in unemployment is minimal in real terms and is very much area dependant. Perths rate just bucked the trend and INCREASED I think .5% for the one month.

Having been back just over a year now I would have no hesitation making the exact same move again.

Here's a couple of facts for you, taken from newspapers over the last few days.

[h=1]UK unemployment rise adds to pressure on Osborne's austerity strategy[/h] Unemployment reaches 2.56 million as another 20,000 under-25s add their names to the register

The number of unemployed people reached 2.56 million, with 20,000 under 25-year-olds joining the jobless ranks, pushing the unemployment rate up from 7.8% to 7.9%. It was the third consecutive increase and the highest level since July. Britain's working population is also suffering from an austerity squeeze, with the average pay rise slipping to 1%, the lowest since records began in 2001 and well short of the 2.8% inflation rate.

Aus

The unemployment rate has confounded most economists by falling from 5.6 to 5.5 per cent.

The Bureau of Statistics labour force survey estimates that 50,100 jobs were added in April, with 34,500 full-time positions and 15,600 part-time jobs created.

Economist forecasts in a survey by Bloomberg centred on only 11,000 jobs being created which was expected to leave the jobless rate steady at 5.6 per cent.

The fall in unemployment came despite an increase in the proportion of the population in work or looking for it, with the so-called participation rate rising from 65.2 to 65.3 per cent.

Total hours worked also rose by 0.7 per cent to 1.64 billion.

The more stable trend unemployment rate, which smooths out monthly volatility, remained steady at 5.5 per cent.

Try Melbourne. You won't get bored here.

Yep - IT - India looks cheap - but when you factor in the maintenance, it rarely is.

The company I work for made a bug push to open a software house in India a couple of years back. They sent a management team over and had the company sign on the front of a building. Loads of shots from inside a nice looking building with the workers all smiling from their little booths.

The thing that everyone noticed in Aus when the photos were in the company magazine was that there was no chance they would have been able to cram so many people in such a small space. Literally each worker was in a booth with a screen round it just about big enough to fit a computer and a chair in at a very small desk.

I'm friendly with one of the managers that went, he told me the front of the office looked OK but they had a good look round the area and at the back was an ally with a pile of old computers and rubbish like you wouldn't believe.

The company farmed out some pretty basic work for them and when we got the software back here it had to just about be re-written from scratch. I don't know what happened to the joint venture but after the first month I've never heard anything about it again. Nothing official has been in the company magazine but it's just not mentioned anymore. An expensive lesson learned I suppose.

The difference in the unemployment rates are correct unless people think they know better than the various agencies employed to come up the figures for both governments.

Some on here believe the unemployment rate for Oz is under reported it feeds there agenda, obviously the UK rate is spot on (as that also feeds there agenda and means there more on par)

I wish you all the best with your decision just look to other areas for advice too other than PIO as the advice on here is usually biased on both sides of the fence.

Both figures are completely correct as per the methodology that each government uses for collecting the figures but it is worth knowing how the two figures are collated just so you can better compare the two.

The UK measures unemployment by those who are unemployed and claiming jobseekers allowance (JSA) - even if they are only entitled to NI contributions and not actual cash due to means testing etc. Of course this method can be manipulated by moving people onto other benefits (most notably in the past moving the older long-term unemployed onto disability benefits but this has pretty much stopped due to the various crackdowns on disability benefit - ATOS etc.), putting people on "work-placements" without pay and sanctioning them - essentially removing them from benefits. Also pushing U25s onto pointless training schemes takes them off the JSA numbers so you are correct that the UK numbers are probably lower (probably considerably lower) than the real number of unemployed. However as people who are unemployed generally need a job and need money counting attendance at a jobcentre / benefit payments does result in quickly catching changes in unemployment numbers.

The Australian system is to phone random people (I think I read somewhere 28000 per fortnight but have no way of backing up that figure) and asking them if they have worked in the last fortnight. If they, or their partner if they are married or in a defacto relationship, have worked one hour or more in the last fortnight then they are not counted as unemployed. The figures obtained are then extrapolated to the whole population.

There is no link to benefits (which would give a more accurate figure) and is widely acknowledged as being extremely slow to respond to changes in the labour market (this is from the Australian press who normally cheerlead like mad for the economy).

Now there are four bald facts about Australia:

1. It has the lowest unemployment rate in the OECD

2. It has the lowest labour force participation rate in the OECD

3. It has the highest cost of living (COL) in the OECD

4. It has the lowest median age of population in the OECD

Now to me those four facts don't add up. How can it have the lowest unemployment rate AND the lowest labour force participation rate? The answers given all seem to be about mothers staying at home and people retiring early but facts 3 and 4 seem to contradict this (i.e. you need two wages to cope with the COL and Australia has a younger workforce than comparable nations).

Add in the fact that Australia has the highest rate of casual / contract employment in the OECD (40% of all jobs) and the picture does certainly start to look less rosy.

Of course all of this is macroeconomics and doesn't really have that much bearing on us as individuals - unemployment rates vary hugely by geography, sector, specialisation, age, educational achievement, luck (the one factor people always forget) etc. even within states or counties let alone countries so it's all about how easy it is for you with your skillset to find a job.

My experience of the Australian jobs market (and of course this is personal and purely my own view) is that they're at the "not hiring" stage rather than the "laying people off" stage of a downturn and have been - with various fits and starts in either direction - since about 2008.

Looking at the job specs of advertised jobs and you'll see they're asking for more and more qualifications and narrower and narrower experience. As a new migrant this is what I'd be concerned about and preparing for; not headline numbers. Most people will be emigrating without a job already lined up and these are the things they need to be researching.

Edited by Rugby Lad
spelling

UK unemployment rise adds to pressure on Osborne's austerity strategy

Unemployment reaches 2.56 million as another 20,000 under-25s add their names to the register

• The number of unemployed people reached 2.56 million, with 20,000 under 25-year-olds joining the jobless ranks, pushing the unemployment rate up from 7.8% to 7.9%. It was the third consecutive increase and the highest level since July. Britain's working population is also suffering from an austerity squeeze, with the average pay rise slipping to 1%, the lowest since records began in 2001 and well short of the 2.8% inflation rate.

Aus

The unemployment rate has confounded most economists by falling from 5.6 to 5.5 per cent.

The Bureau of Statistics labour force survey estimates that 50,100 jobs were added in April, with 34,500 full-time positions and 15,600 part-time jobs created.

Economist forecasts in a survey by Bloomberg centred on only 11,000 jobs being created which was expected to leave the jobless rate steady at 5.6 per cent.

The fall in unemployment came despite an increase in the proportion of the population in work or looking for it, with the so-called participation rate rising from 65.2 to 65.3 per cent.

The more stable trend unemployment rate, which smooths out monthly volatility, remained steady at 5.5 per cent.

so in a crowd of one hundred 2.4 more people are unemployed than the Australian hundred. Remarkably close for a country in dire straights. So I'm told

UK unemployment rise adds to pressure on Osborne's austerity strategy

Unemployment reaches 2.56 million as another 20,000 under-25s add their names to the register

• The number of unemployed people reached 2.56 million, with 20,000 under 25-year-olds joining the jobless ranks, pushing the unemployment rate up from 7.8% to 7.9%. It was the third consecutive increase and the highest level since July. Britain's working population is also suffering from an austerity squeeze, with the average pay rise slipping to 1%, the lowest since records began in 2001 and well short of the 2.8% inflation rate.

Aus

Your post though mentions unemployment in the UK amoung young people - as posted previously, Oz has higher unemployment among young people than the UK does