Validating Visa

ali

We've got our visa, hubby may get made redundant in the next couple of months and will have time on his hands, we've still got to sell the house. I'm primary applicant on the visa. Can hubby go before me to do a rekki or do we all have to go at the same time?

Thanks

Ali x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Ali

I've no personal knowledge of this and there is only one applicant in our family. I believe that the Primary Applicant must be the first one to validate their visa. Apparently if a family arrive together, they deal with the main applicant first, followed by the spouse (secondary applicant) followed by the children (dependants.)

DO NOT send Hubby out there on a tourist-visa, not even an ETA, without getting professional advice first. I have heard that a subsequent tourist visa can have the effect of cancelling the main visa.

I strongly recommend that you get all this carefully checked out before you do anything because the legislation is a minefield full of traps for the unwary, and DIMA has no sense of humour about it.

There may well be a way to achieve what you want - it could be that a tourist-visa would only have a dire effect if obtained by the main applicant - but I wouldn't do anything without first making sure exactly what the score is with this one. I have only investigated matters in so far as they have been of relevance to Mum, so clearly your question is beyond my own scope.

I think you have done the right thing by asking the question, and hopefully we can get you an answer that can be proven to be right.

Hope this is not worse than useless.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Nelson

Hiya! I have DEFINITELY read somewhere that the lead person must be first to validate the visa.. and Gill's advice is spot on (funny that!)..

If hubby is going to be hanging around, personally, I'd sign up with at least one other agent to get the house sold and have hubby concentrate of getting the house sold. I know I go on about it but it is sooooooo frustrating waiting for the house sale to go through!

All the best.

Krista :wink:

Thanks guys, I thought this was the case. We can't sign up with another estate agent for about 9 weeks, and to be honest there isn't anything for hubby to do that would enable the house to be sold more quickly.

He may not be made redundant (we're hoping he is as it'll be extra cash), but the cost of 4 of us going on a rekki is too expensive and money we would use for flights or shipping costs.

Ali x

Archived